Increase font size
Topic Title: SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT
Topic Summary: JP does an installation job full of defects
Created On: 28 February 2013 06:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 February 2013 06:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

John Peckham

As you know I don't do installation work unless I can avoid it. Yesterday I was at my college making up an assessment board for the C&G 2394 course. I cannot tell you what is on the board as if I did I would have to kill you. The board I was making up has deliberate defects which made me chuckle as I was wiring it and attracted a few ribald comments from my fellow lecturers like "doing another sh*t job then John". Well it made be laugh and I went home with a smile on my wintry cheeks.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 28 February 2013 07:07 PM

DR2366

I needed to do something similar and constructed a teaching aid with a number of visual faults. It felt so naughty doing things wrong deliberately. Sleeving CPC's together, no brown sleeving on the switched live, reverse polarity in a socket, hole bigger than IP4X in the top surface of consumer unit, RCD test label missing etc etc

What fun.
 28 February 2013 07:09 PM

OMS

Don't worrry chaps - rough isn't a problem - just as long as you weren't slow as well

I hope you haven't issued an EIC on it John -

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 28 February 2013 07:19 PM

peteTLM

Dont worry OMS, its a 'kitchen' demonstration board

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 28 February 2013 07:20 PM

OMS

Does that put it outside the scope of BS 7671 then ? -

and don't mention kitchens - they're a sore point on here I believe

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 28 February 2013 08:20 PM

AJJewsbury

Did you reverse PE & L somewhere ... just to see if anyone spots it using their 'all-purpose' R1+R2 test?
- Andy.
 28 February 2013 09:41 PM

dg66

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

Did you reverse PE & L somewhere ... just to see if anyone spots it using their 'all-purpose' R1+R2 test?

- Andy.

I could spot that in one using my two resistor test lead

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 28 February 2013 09:54 PM

sparkingchip

Back when I was doing the CG 2360 evening classes there was a evening when only three of us turned up for a practical session, anyway the college technician was making such a board up for the inspection and testing course and exam. Initially the head of dept. said we shouldn't be looking at it, but then changed his mind and said get a pen and paper then list the faults on it, as it needs checking. The technician was well peeved when we listed seven faults that were not supposed to be on there and he had to spend the rest of the evening tidying up the board to reduce the faults to the ones that were actually supposed to be on the list.

Of course that won't be the situation with JPs board, will it?

Andy
 28 February 2013 10:25 PM

AJJewsbury

Or my Rn+R2 test! ... but are they teaching the limitations of the R1+R2 test yet?
- Andy.
 28 February 2013 10:54 PM

dg66

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

Or my Rn+R2 test! ... but are they teaching the limitations of the R1+R2 test yet?

- Andy.

Yes , but doing two seperate tests means two visits to each point, using a two resistor lead does both tests in one visit, which saves lots of time on big installs, hospitals and schools for example
To be honest i've got a six resistor lead( all different values) so i could test three circuits at once.

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 28 February 2013 11:48 PM

John Peckham

Just to add another smile on my way home from college I received a call to go to an old people's home to investigate a total loss of supply. After doing the technical bit I went to speak to the old ladies sitting in the dark in the day room as they could to go to bed and re-assured them. Having shone the torch on myself whilst I spoke I got a few rude suggestive comments from the old dears that anywhere else would have won me a large compensation claim for sexual harassment. I drove home very late thinking has it really come to this stage in my life where I get chatted up by old grannies!

Before you ask it was a loss of neutral on the PILC service cable proved with my decades old trusty Drummond Test Lamp. The premises are now running on a generator until the cable can be excavated and replaced.

John Peckham

01 March 2013 07:32 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

ebee

"I drove home very late thinking has it really come to this stage in my life where I get chatted up by old grannies!"

They are the only types of chatting up I get these days John,
Welcome to the Club! LOL.

I remember our old board with faults on.
I think we`d to find 12.
But the lecturer said "If you find 20" then that`s OK as long as the 12 are within them you will get the points awarded even if the others are not defects.

Well I got on my high horse at that.
What kind of teaching.
If you are looking for 12 defects then there should be 12 and no more.
Or you should be asked how many there are and descriptions.

To my mind , if there are truly 12 and you list 20 then you`ve incorrectly listed 8 and this should be subtracted from your total score so
12 correct minus 8 incorrect equals 4 scored.

Bad training for inspectors to list non defects as defects (Yes we know it happens often in the field and we wonder why)

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 01 March 2013 09:39 AM

John Peckham

Ebee

I do get to hear some strange alleged defects as we go through the I&T courses from my students but I challenge them to justify their assertions and show me the regulation in the BGB that has been contravened. At the start of the course I often hear things like 3036 fuses are illegal, "Main Earths" have to be 16mm and sinks require earthing! Much of this comes from the myths ,legends and folk law heard down at the local wholesalers trade counter. At the end of the course hopefully most of the students have learned to use their powers of reasoning and have become used to referencing their views from GN3 and BS7671. Students starting the course with brand new GN3s and BS7671 books speaks volumes.

John Peckham

01 March 2013 10:09 AM

jcm256

I condemned about 12 electrical test booths at a large training premises, wasn't what was on the boards themselves but the three phase & neutral supply isolators beside each one (Mem) all damaged, holes, bent twisted lids, lid interlocks defective, some lids fell off when tried to switch on. The lecturer said belonged to him, and he had control of the supply, I said the isolators was part of the fixed wiring, he got the urgent note left on site before the full report to higher authority in this case.
 01 March 2013 10:51 AM

John Peckham

The PAT tester sticker boys have put their Pass labels on my 2391 test rigs so they must be alright!

John Peckham

01 March 2013 01:02 PM

geov

John, it may just be memory fade on my part, but is it not the C&G 2395 board that's supposed to have deliberate faults (or maybe you're just putting the 2394ers through the mill)?????

Regards.
 01 March 2013 01:04 PM

Jobbo

John,

Those boys put stickers on everything, good job you wasn't standing still for too long

Jobbo
 01 March 2013 01:28 PM

bartonp

Like this: Live/earth problem
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.