IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: Two questions: Go easy please :)
Topic Summary: Chartered Comp Engineer -> Home electrician Certified..?
Created On: 28 February 2013 01:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 February 2013 09:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Wow. I turn my back for a day or two and look what happens.

Mother Hen calling Paul. Please read this in a calm tone of voice for that is what I am using to type it.

The answer to your question is already on here so I won't go into that again. But I can see so much agression coming through. OMS, I can see that you are defending the corner of ordinary honest Joe, Sparky and I thank you for that. It is a cold hard world and those of us who are getting through these hard times are working so very hard for our money.

Back to Paul though. 50% of my work comes from reporting on DIY, troublesome or cheap electrical installations. I don't sign off, I write reports about them and I consider myself to be in the business of helping my clients toward a safe and functioning installation after they have had their work done by somebody who does not care about them. I see things which would make your hair curl. From entire courses of bricks removed in order to run bundles of twin and earth cable around the outside of a home, to cookers wired up in 1mm singles wrapped in clingfilm and sellotape.

A further 30% of my work comes from designing circuits for establishments of national security. There I meet a great many who are chartered and have strings of post nominals. Most are human and approachable. To date, most are decent people. Just the occasional one or two who seem to be on a different agenda but not serious.

Then 5% or so in a more creative field, just for the diversion.

The final 25%of my work comes from doing exactly what you need doing and that is getting the Hilti and Makita drills out and installing.

Let me introduce you to a loyal client called Peter. Peter is on the management commitee of a local social club and is a retired Engineer. He regrets that he has let his Membership of the IET lapse. He regrets that he doesn't understand the formula for inductance and never has. He has his own copy of the blue BS7671 and his own screwfix catalogue which he keeps more up to date than I do mine.

When I work for Peter I have learned that I must always allow extra time for explaining everything to him and for teaching and being challenged. He puts me down. If I say a three phase water heater is not required, he asks for proof and then will spend his time seeking out more questions about it. Nowadays I just say a three phase water heater will be fine and give it a paultry 6A per phase. If I say a decent junction box costs 87p, he comes back to me with a screwfix catalogue and says 75p.

We actually rub along quite nicely, Peter and I. What he doesn't know is that I add half a day per 5 to my times and prices because of the hassle in dealing with him and his desire to be the best. What he does know however, is that he can be a proper pain in the butt because I have told him that.

Peter has lost all his trades over the years by dint of the fact that he makes us all so very cross. He is constantly suspicious of our modus operandii. I'm sticking with him because that's kind of a personal regulation. But I hang up the phone on Peter from time to time. He is a very difficult man to do business with.

Please Paul, once you know that your proposed electrician is properly registered. Give him or her a break and let them do the job for you in their own way. Peter has an ego as big as a house. Like you he is a bright man but not an electrician. I looked at your opening post and my hackles went up. I think that is the nub of this. you have got to trust us. Maybe get some more quotes but might I suggest references instead of quotes?

If your electrician has been through the mill of the qualifications and the registration then believe me, they will have surrendered thousands of hours and many thousands of pounds as a mark of their commitment to getting it right, first time, for you. We study in order to provide a service for our clients.

I have a builder client who also thinks that electricians are expensive and thinks we are ripping him off. Today I asked him how much he was paying the gas-fitter. I don't need to tell you the answer I'm sure.

Electrical Installation, done properly is quite an amazing trade. What we offer you is the combination of scientific know-how, however much we disguise it and good old on-the-tools elbow grease and practical ability.

I can screw that socket on for you Paul and I can tell you why this tester is buzzing from a distance of 8 inches away from it. Just ask and we'll explain it to you. It has something to do with inductance.

OMS is a nice bloke by the way and he is coming along really well. I gave him a day's work recently and he did a good job.

Kind regards,

Zs

Edit: I almost forgot. MCostco, MLibrary.M some other things too.

Edited: 28 February 2013 at 10:13 PM by Zs
 28 February 2013 10:10 PM

sparkingchip

Oh dear! You have done the ventilation and I bet you aren't qualified or have the correct test equipment to be able to certify the work for the LABC

Andy
 28 February 2013 10:24 PM

Avatar for redtoblackblewtopieces.
redtoblackblewtopieces

I thought testing and notification of ventilation systems only applied to new builds?
Kevin

-------------------------
Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
 28 February 2013 10:31 PM

sparkingchip

Do you think building regs don't cover refurbs?
 28 February 2013 10:41 PM

Avatar for redtoblackblewtopieces.
redtoblackblewtopieces

Must have read it wrong as thought it said something like for mechanical systems in new build only.
Kevin

Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
 28 February 2013 10:45 PM

sparkingchip

Just for the record, as I have said on this forum the Screwfix junction boxes are rubbish, the terminals are set too low in the plastic moulding and the conductors will not seat correctly into them.

If there is something to be learnt from that there it is "you get what you pay for", OK sometimes you might pay over the odds, but generally it tends to be true.
 01 March 2013 07:54 AM

ebee

Paul,
if you fully described all the works you are asking for and also the amount quoted for it then we might be able to supply you with a "Looks reasonable" or "Looks high/low" type answer.
But to just state " or i have to pay the excessive charges electricians seem to want"
Could well be seen as offensive in itself.

It might well be that you`ve experienced electricians that have quoted excessive charges or you might have been quoted low charges or reasonable charges.

We just don`t know until we know the whole story.

The statement " or i have to pay the excessive charges electricians seem to want" frankly reminds some of us of the customer from hell and was not helpfull

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik

Edited: 01 March 2013 at 08:11 AM by ebee
 01 March 2013 02:36 PM

rossall

We removed this thread temporarily for review, and are now restoring it in a locked state, as requested by the original poster.

This has been mentioned a number of times, but may I please remind all contributors again of the conditions of use, especially as they concern behaviour toward other posters.

May I suggest that this discussion is not revived in other threads.

Thanks

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Two questions: Go easy please :)

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.