Increase font size
Topic Title: Printer cartridges
Topic Summary: Off topic, I know
Created On: 27 February 2013 01:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 February 2013 01:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

I guess we all probably use printers, so perhaps some relevance.

I've been out this morning to get a new set of cartridges for my printer and have come to the conclusion it would be cheaper to buy a new printer.

That seems ridiculous, so if anyone knows a good source, online or otherwise, to buy sensibly priced cartridges I'd be glad to hear about.

The printer I have is an ordinary Canon inkjet about 3 years old.

Mike
 27 February 2013 02:50 PM

Legh

I know, its a rather bizzare situation. Pay £50 for a printer and then pay a further £50+ every month or so, each time an ink cartridge runs out or develops a fault.

Try Here

I wouldn't bother with the rest of them unless you want to go round the houses being bombarded with adverts .

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 27 February 2013 03:07 PM

AJJewsbury

I know, its a rather bizzare situation. Pay £50 for a printer and then pay a further £50+ every month or so, each time an ink cartridge runs out or develops a fault.

It's a feature of the technology. In the mid-late 1980s some of my work involved what was then the latest thing in inkjet printers - the ink cartridges were just that - plastic bottles of ink. The problem was that almost every other time you used it you had to go through a process of cleaning the print head, which involved injecting maintenance fluid, test printing and re-cleaning until you got all the nozzles clear. Certainly not "consumer friendly". The market's solution was to make the troublesome bits disposable - so whether it stops printing because it's truly out of ink, or just because the nozzles are blocked, you just chuck it out and plug in a new one - simple.

The downside is that the print head is pretty much all of the printer - take that away and you're just left with a couple of motors for moving the paper & head, a plastic paper tray and bit of electronics for the interface (for the basic ones at least).

Unfortunately similar things are happening with laser printers - the typical toner cartridge containing the imaging drum as well as the toner powder - so you have to replace (and pay for) both, regardless of what's really expired.

Re-cycled/re-manufactured/re-filled cartridges are the obvious solution, but personally, I've had limited success with them.

- Andy.
 27 February 2013 03:30 PM

DR2366

Buying a printer with individual black and colour cartridges made a differance to me. My canon has 5 (2 black) and its strange to see which ones you use most of.

I didn't have much luck with refills either so I just buy genuine new ones. Viking sometimes send me an offer or discount so I bulk buy enough to last a year.
 27 February 2013 03:34 PM

dbullard

I raised a similar topic some time ago, because of the cost of printing, I did look at laser printers and copiers but didn't want the hassle or expense.

I now use that auction site in the sky and purchase non genuine cartridges, I have had no problems yet.

I know Lidls have a promotion coming up soon so i will frequenting my local store and stocking up on what I require ...

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 27 February 2013 04:03 PM

Pacific

Have a look at Amazink on Amazon, £24.90 for 2 canon MP250 cartridges
 27 February 2013 06:28 PM

Jaymack

Bought about 9 years ago, I only have a Brother laser printer now, the inherited Epson inkjet printer gave up the ghost a few years ago, although I seldom used it, due to the liability to smudging and the cost of cartridges. I have refilled the laser cartridges about 6 times now, with bottled refills from ebay and it still produces prints at max 600dpi. I refill the catridges in the kitchen sink, if the black stuff gets on the carpet - bye, bye ..... to the carpet!

Regards
 27 February 2013 08:07 PM

napitprofessional

Originally posted by: mikejumper

I guess we all probably use printers, so perhaps some relevance.

I've been out this morning to get a new set of cartridges for my printer and have come to the conclusion it would be cheaper to buy a new printer.

That seems ridiculous, so if anyone knows a good source, online or otherwise, to buy sensibly priced cartridges I'd be glad to hear about.

The printer I have is an ordinary Canon inkjet about 3 years old.

Mike

Which model is your printer?
 27 February 2013 08:40 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: napitprofessional
Which model is your printer?

Canon, Pixma ip4500
 27 February 2013 10:12 PM

M.Joshi

If you don't need to print in colour much (or at all) a monochrome laser printer is far more economical and the toner will last longer than inkjet cartridges.

As Jaymack said, the Brother laser printers are good value for money.

Colour laser printers have also heavily come down in price. You can buy them now for around £130 or less:

http://www.printerland.co.uk/B...r-Printers-C11214.aspx

M.I.E.T - Forfeited this due to The I.E.T's ridiculous membership rules!
 27 February 2013 10:26 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Indeed. I bought a Minolta Magicolor 3730DN. I have an Ethernet connection to the broadband router, and as a colour laser printer complete with duplex, has to be recommended, especially for £106 or less if you don't pay VAT!

Regards,

Alan.
 27 February 2013 11:42 PM

AdrianWint

We have a Konica Magicolor 2550, a HP laserJet 6MP & and OfficeJet 6000 inkjet

We do all the b/w printing on the laserjet, colour printing on the Konica & 'er indoors prints all her crafting stuff on the OfficeJet... the most anoying thing with HP inkjet cartridges is that they have a best before date ..... and the damm printer refuses to printer after that date, even if the cartridge still has plenty of ink in it! (and no... changing system dates doesnt work!)

Adrian
 28 February 2013 01:04 AM

impvan

I too have the Canon ip4500. I fitted a flying ink system from CISS.

When comparing the cost of a new printer to a set of carts for your old one, bear in mind that new printers come with very little ink in their carts, so even with a new printer you'll soon be looking for ink.....
 28 February 2013 07:44 AM

Thripster

Had inkjets - cartridge price preposterous. Swapped to laser CP320 (Samsung I think). £69 at the time. Ink more expensive but lasts much longer. Again, you could buy a printer when one of the colours go but doesn't seem ethical somehow.

Regards
 28 February 2013 07:09 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: impvan
I too have the Canon ip4500. I fitted a flying ink system from CISS.

What's a flying ink system from CISS?
 28 February 2013 10:16 PM

impvan

Flyink ink is where the ink stays in bottles on your desk, fed to the cartridges by a ribbon of tubes which flies back 'n' forth with the printhead. The advantage is that you're buying ink in 250ml bottles for the same price as a 20ml cartridge.

Have a search for continuous ink supply systems.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.