IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: WANNA BE A REGISTERED CONTRACTOR?
Topic Summary: Book early to avoid disappointment.
Created On: 25 February 2013 04:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 February 2013 04:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

John Peckham

I hear that the registering bodies are receiving loads of applicants to register before the boom drops at the beginning of April.

So get in quick with your application before the new EAS scheme comes in to force!

Good job I am already inside the tent as I don't think I could be a QS under the new EAS rules.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 25 February 2013 06:11 PM

psychicwarrior

i despair at all this.

so 'they' get their way no matter what. shameful.

laugh all if you like, but i ended up writing to my MP on this and the whole questionable setup that prevails.

I don't think my one voice is loud enough and I dont think the will exists by others who may be in support of the opinions I have, to do anything about it all (if anything could be done) - either all that or maybe i'm just the one off the track.

c'est la vie - but come the revolution ;-)
 25 February 2013 06:55 PM

jcm256

Are they getting their own way, such a song and dance over changing a consumer unit, or wiring lights in a bathroom, (that's nearly all is left of part P after April).
Will there be any need for a QS, when it is going to cost this much (web site below) just to be a domestic spark. What has happened to the apprentice? Route where a young lad could earn a bit of money while getting day release to do not that costly courses at the local technical college.
Maybe anyone wanting to be an electrician from scratch in 15 days will be able to apply for funding from the taxpayer, but overall with tools, van, insurance, advertising etc, there would be not much change out of £20,000. There are plenty of Electricians hanging about now, no work, so it would be a big chance for someone to take. It would be better spend that sort of money on a university degree course, or flying lessons, leading on to a more secure job.

http://www.proactivetechnicalt...CFW_KtAodhh8AOQ

http://eal.org.uk/news-archive...cation-from-eal

http://eal.org.uk/images/stori...ures/600_7695_1_fs.pdf
 25 February 2013 08:13 PM

dbullard

John,

It is a shame but speaking to my area engineer, he seemed to think that grandfather type rules might apply ??? If you had / have been in the type of role then the process might be more straight forward if applying for QS or if you had DPH status

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 25 February 2013 08:46 PM

John Peckham

Yes if you have been a QS in the last 2 years and can produce documentary evidence you can be a QS again.

John Peckham

25 February 2013 09:07 PM

BrucieBonus

what's documentary evidence? Just that you've been doing it for the last XX years???
 25 February 2013 09:14 PM

John Peckham

A QS identity card would be good evidence or a letter from your previous company. Mind you the registering bodies no doubt keep records of QSs they have assessed?

John Peckham

25 February 2013 09:21 PM

sparkingchip

So with less than five weeks to go, I'll ask the question "Who is actually running this course and where?"

Andy
 25 February 2013 10:50 PM

John Peckham

Here we are andy if you have a few bob and want to sign up.

QS TRAINING

Mind you that is only to be a QS for domestic installation work.

For industrial and commercial work you need to have a look at the full EAS document you can find by typing EAS in to the search box at the top of this page.

John Peckham

25 February 2013 11:03 PM

sparkingchip

But you don't need a QS for anything other than domestic work as there is only a part P for domestic work and not any requirement to be in a scheme for other types of installations. Unless of course you are considering Lloyds for network installations such as sub stations et al.

Andy
 25 February 2013 11:06 PM

sparkingchip

I see though they have included a option to qualify in ONE DAY

Andy
 25 February 2013 11:14 PM

sparkingchip

"It enables you to self-certify your own work allowing you to work freely and operate as a sole trader or even operate a very small team."

Read more: http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk...e#ixzz2LxIpoZkq

Only a very small team? What if you want a S,M,L,XL,XXL or even a XXXL team?

Andy

Edited: 26 February 2013 at 08:02 AM by sparkingchip
 26 February 2013 08:21 AM

SherlockOhms

This is all very confusing (for me anyway). I actively avoid stuuf like this as I rapidly loose the will to live.

So, as a registered scheme member, is this now saying I need to do more to simply carry on as I am?

S.
 26 February 2013 08:28 AM

sparkingchip

Reading this bit :

"Fast Track, (1 day) professional discussion, supported by paperwork evidence from you. For those with 24 months or more experience and previous qualifications.

Read more: http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk...course#ixzz2LzS2R59B"

I read that as it giving the scheme operators the provision to charge you for a assessment over and above the one already in place to join the scheme they operate charging a inflated fee to issue you with the new qualification along with the privilege of becoming one of their schemes customers.

The way it seems to be set out it could take a couple of days of assessments on and off site to join a scheme, meanwhile the amount of notifiable work under part P has been reduced making scheme membership less of an attractive option.

Yesterday I spoke to a retired electrician, who never had any qualifications having become experienced working alongside his father. He is "still doing a bit" and I spoke to him whilst he was fitting a class one light fitting on to an cable without a CPC in a neighbours open porch, albeit it is a 2D fitting with a all insulated plastic enclosure with only the contained control gear tray needing earthing, so as he said "I've told them to turn it off before changing the bulb" which is possibly sound advice under the circumstances. I sneaked a look in the back of his van, no testers and there won't be any paperwork of any type. The electrician and his customer are both happy, I can't compete though as a scheme member on what he can charges though, can I? This is the real world and it ain't going to change!

Somewhere along the line the plot seems to have been lost with this new qualification and it will become a money spinning exercise for the "commercial" side of the "charity" scheme operators training schools.

It will also promote the "qualified supervisor" arrangement as it will by its nature limit the number of people prepared to qualify, so it will be detrimental to the trade as it will continue the practice of under qualified electricians mates carrying out electrical installation work on the basis it will be "supervised" by someone who may never even visit site and even see what they have done.

Hey Ho! What do I know?

Andy
 26 February 2013 09:23 AM

tomgunn

£3495?!?!?!?!?! For what? So whats going on - as I too have lost the plot - is it the case that all sparks need to be qualified quantity surveyors now? So what they are saying is that you need to do these exams so that you have more qualifications so that you can then join another fffffffflipping scam body spending thousands of pounds so that you can still keep sparking, as long as you buy a torque wrench that is - and make sure you have it calibrated each year!

Is it also the case that if you don't do this scam course you cannot have anyone working for you? And if you do it seems that you have to stand over them 100% of the time to make sure that they understand the health and safety aspects of fixing a 1 gang back box.... subsequently, after many weeks of being inspected... moving on to fixing a 2 gang back box???

So it would appear that from April the 6th we can wire anything apart from bathroom lights without being part of some scam providers scheme?? BUT, you have to do this course. Now I have just phoned these people up and its not a C&G's course - its an EAL one, whoever they are? I asked this chap who thought this load of rubbish up and it was the IET! Or so he said! Actually my bloods boiling.

I said to him - so; we need to have qualifications to be able to qualify for a scam provider and are you a sparks as he said that this will stop all poor electrical works - have you worked in the real world? Are you aware of the Polish / European workers here plus the UK cowboys too ? But he was adamant - it WILL stop all of this... duh!!!

So; after April the 5th you can no longer do any works in a domestic environment whatsoever - not even change a DSO I would guess, without these new quals???

So what 'they' are doing - because a lot of sparks get away without registering with a scam provider they are going back one notch back to force these hardworking - qualified - experienced - capable - worried sparks to pay out to then join a part P body? OUTRAGEOUS beyond belief!!! As if they don't have enough to worry about AND - is this going to be a yearly course as I just cannot believe that 'they'll' leave it here!? Whats next?

What a complete mess... its supposed to 'tighten' up the electrical trade. TBH this is the first time I have heard of this... I am completely gob-smacked! I know I can do a one day course @ £179 but why? More funds in the coffers of 'training courses'?

I thought, naively, that it was too good to be true that 'they'd' reduce the amount of works that need to be included in a part P scheme!!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).

Edited: 26 February 2013 at 01:09 PM by tomgunn
 26 February 2013 10:00 AM

SherlockOhms

Don't quote me on this but I was (not sure I still am?) under the impression that this new scheme was to enable people to certify work carried out by others as well as themselves something I believe we can't presently do?

I'm hoping (given that I've just renewed my scheme) that all is still ok?

S.
 26 February 2013 10:08 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: SherlockOhms

Don't quote me on this but I was (not sure I still am?) under the impression that this new scheme was to enable people to certify work carried out by others as well as themselves something I believe we can't presently do?

I'm hoping (given that I've just renewed my scheme) that all is still ok?

S.

Yes thats the case BUT, according to the chap I talked to this morning, you have to do this course - BUT, you still have to be enrolled in a part P scheme! BUT after April the 5th you cannot join a part P scheme unless you have this new course under your belt!! Hang on - chicken before the egg or the egg before the chicken - OR no egg no chicken?

So my dear fiends - after April the 5th you will not be allowed to do any wiring in a domestic property, whatsoever, if you have not completed this course and after that you cannot join a part P scheme unless you do do this course first! So you'll have to pay the mortgage and feed your family another way - fancy becoming a dishwasher or driving a mini cab then?

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Edited: 26 February 2013 at 01:10 PM by tomgunn
 26 February 2013 10:13 AM

SherlockOhms

Hmmm? I have my assessment looming so I'll get to the bottom of it then.

One thing is for sure, I wont be spending this kind of money just to carry on as I am.

Somebody's "avin a turkish".

S.
 26 February 2013 11:18 AM

sparkingchip

Back in the OP John refers to "being inside the tent", there are other sayings that spring to mind such as "pulling up the draw bridge" and "pulling up the ladder".

So is it good for those already in place, is it creating a system that will protect the jobs and incomes of those already in place, or is it assumed there will be a line of people waiting to hand their money over?

Some years ago there was a situation where gas fitters were retiring faster that new blood came into the trade depleting the available work force, could we have this situation arise as a result of these changes, if only in the short term?

Andy
 26 February 2013 11:27 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: jcm256

Are they getting their own way, such a song and dance over changing a consumer unit, or wiring lights in a bathroom, (that's nearly all is left of part P after April).

Will there be any need for a QS, when it is going to cost this much (web site below) just to be a domestic spark. What has happened to the apprentice? Route where a young lad could earn a bit of money while getting day release to do not that costly courses at the local technical college.

Maybe anyone wanting to be an electrician from scratch in 15 days will be able to apply for funding from the taxpayer, but overall with tools, van, insurance, advertising etc, there would be not much change out of £20,000. There are plenty of Electricians hanging about now, no work, so it would be a big chance for someone to take. It would be better spend that sort of money on a university degree course, or flying lessons, leading on to a more secure job.

">"><br ">&l.....tivet...lt.....8AOQ
...r />

<br ">"><br "&g...uk/news-ar...from-eal

]http://eal.org.uk/news-ar...from-eal
[/L]

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://eal.org.uk/images/stori...ures/600_7695_1_fs.pdf
<br [/L]

So it seems that this course allows no one with any electrical knowledge to become an electrician in 17 days at a cost of £2370 and then they can be let loose on the general public! They offer the 2392, thats the watered down version of the 2391and then what? What can you expect when they turn up on someones doorstep saying that they are fully qualified and ready to do anything in their properties?
So it seems that this course allows no one with any electrical knowledge to become an electrician in 17 days at a cost of £2370 and then they can be let loose on the general public! They offer the 2392, thats the watered down version of the 2391and then what? What can you expect when they turn up on someones doorstep saying that they are fully qualified and ready to do anything in their properties?

I have contacted NAPIT and if I want to join them then I have to do a half day course plus something else to prove my worth and then I can join but the problem is I don't do electrical works very week as I do building works and whenever I have the need to I do any of the required electrical works at the same time so would I have enough electrical works to submit each year to quantify this as each years different - some years I do lots of electrical works and some only minor but its always a part of my works!

This is a direct quote from their website....

"This course gives candidates with no previous electrical experience the competence required to carry out domestic installations."

Are they joking or what???

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Edited: 26 February 2013 at 11:36 AM by tomgunn
IET » Wiring and the regulations » WANNA BE A REGISTERED CONTRACTOR?

1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.