IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Only Human
Topic Summary: Moments of stupiditity that make you want to scream.
Created On: 23 February 2013 05:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 February 2013 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrOther

Just doing a multi-grid switch.

Spread all the T&E cores before cutting the grey outtersheathing.

Last one to do....

Cut.

Low and behold an old old memory springs to mind when I once found a core in the sheathing....

Panic.

Lo and behold, I find that the brown core was indeed hiding in the sheathing of this last cable.

Luckily there was enough core for a bit of connector block to get on to save the day (as my crimps were not with me today.)

Job was completed after a lengthy period of throwing my flat cap about, some theaputic swearing, some reassuring shaking of the head and mutterings of "why do I put myself through this, there''s easier ways to turn a pound note" and "next bloke coming after me is gonna think I'm a right moody *****" and "why is as soon as I start to enjoy myself something comes round to kick me in the bollock"

All was resolved when the power was reinstigated and the cilnt was happy with her new 2 way lights and dimmers. Did look good.

Anyone else want to add their stories of (abnormal) stupidity?
 23 February 2013 05:28 PM

daveparry1

Yes I must admit to having done that and it's amazing that when someting like that happens it's always when there's only just enough cable avaiable isn't it!

Dave.
 23 February 2013 06:06 PM

slittle

Been there with a big grid, all the cables carefully "nicked" with marks that meant something.

Only for the phone to ring, the apprentice (at the time) to be helpful and strip them all for me, cutting them to length too so no chance with the marks.....

Stu
 24 February 2013 09:20 PM

MrOther

Lads I felt like crying. I felt so stupid and annoyed with myself. I was there listening to some music - Wagner strangely enough - though I was being like Inspector Morse - the sun was shinning - then BLAM my day just nose dived.

I've stripped the wrong way with the outter insulation of SWA cable before. Lucky I do temps. Covered it up with three pairs of layers of black insulation and almagmating tape.
 24 February 2013 10:05 PM

sparkiemike

Originally posted by: MrOther

Low and behold an old old memory springs to mind when I once found a core in the sheathing....

Panic.

Lo and behold, I find that the brown core was indeed hiding in the sheathing of this last cable.

Done that as well, except it was a 3-core and earth .... Whose stupid idea was it to have a grey core in a grey cable?
 24 February 2013 10:12 PM

sparkiemike

Originally posted by: slittle

Been there with a big grid, all the cables carefully "nicked" with marks that meant something.

Only for the phone to ring, the apprentice (at the time) to be helpful and strip them all for me, cutting them to length too so no chance with the marks.....

Stu

Had that too, except a call from the plumber wanting to know what the cables were for, told him they were all marked up.... Silence then it was revealed he had cut the ends off....
 25 February 2013 11:21 AM

BigRed

Hmm, wiring up 3, 125a 3 phase ceeforms and not putting the back covers on and god knows how mant 15/16a plugtops , usually sitting in a pile so so easy to forget. teaches you that bootlaces really are a once only thing...
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.