IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What's delaying Amendment 2?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 February 2013 08:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 February 2013 01:26 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

If your interested the majority of dealers who sell EV's have an arrangement with a company where the customer pays 25% of the cost of the point at home and the dealer pays the remaining 75% I dont know what portion of that is subsidy though, one firm that springs to mind is 'PODpoint', unfortunately for you the customer may be tied into this arrangement under the terms of the warranty they provide with the vehicle.

With regard to What's delaying Amendment 2? it may have something to do with the announcement last year that 2013 would see the rolling out of the new generation EV units the inductive charger.

I dont think we need to go 'earthing paranoid' over this as the biggest danger I see is tripping over the cable and splitting your head open on the kerb.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 21 February 2013 at 03:33 PM by rocknroll
 21 February 2013 02:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stateit

Originally posted by: rocknroll

...With regard to What's delaying Amendment 2? it may have something to do with ...

The wrong type of biscuits at all those Committee Meetings.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 21 February 2013 04:27 PM

jcm256

Looks like you may need a level three to install vehicle -charging-points. How can they do a course when the guidance note from BS7671 is not been written yet?

https://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2919-electric-vehicle-charging

http://grouphorizon.co.uk/news...red-by-group-horizon/

Meanwhile, Estonia's reputation as one of the most wired-up countries in Europe
are using DC and 30 min charge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/envi...c-car-charging-network
 21 February 2013 04:40 PM

OMS

With regard to What's delaying Amendment 2? it may have something to do with the announcement last year that 2013 would see the rolling out of the new generation EV units the inductive charger.

As far as i'm aware JPEL 64 have excluded inductive charging -

I dont think we need to go 'earthing paranoid' over this as the biggest danger I see is tripping over the cable and splitting your head open on the kerb.

Generally true - but again JPEL 64 don't appear to see it that way - they are having a bit of a paranoia attack over that deadly PME stuff - including prohibiting the use of a PEN conductor - perhaps they didn't notice ESQCR beat them to it - and suggesting whopping great electrode systems to hold down touch voltages to 50V - I don't think they've done the sums for that yet though - there's going to be an awful lot of deep driven multiple electrode arrays required outside the front door of houses that's for sure.

The alternative is monitoring and automatic disconnection of live conductors and the PE when the voltage between the CPC and earth ? exceeds 50V.

Ohh such fun - particularly when you consider that mobility scooters not exceeding 10A are excluded as well !!

OMS

Failure is always an option
 21 February 2013 04:43 PM

OMS

How can they do a course when the guidance note from BS7671 is not been written yet?

probably based on the IET CoP published last year and by interrogating the IEC harmonised document - if it's harmonised JPEL 64 will need to include it in 722 - so it's not that hard to determine what 722 will contain

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 22 February 2013 10:04 AM

AJJewsbury

To be honest, anyone that fools themselves with an electric car is a muppett imho. Zero emissions- from the car yes, but we havent invented zero emission electricity just yet- or a source that actually works yet anyway!

I fear you've missed the point. No-one's suggesting EVs are perfect - just that they offer advantages over fossil-fuel reliant IC engines. Overall, including power station emissions, EVs already have lower CO2 emissions than IC engine vehicles - and as the grid moves over to renewables that can only improve in future. That's even before you start considering local air quality issues, or security-of-supply.

No mention of where the public supply was coming from as no new generating capacity will be available for about 10 years and then, about half has to be decommissioned by the end of the decade.

It's the old power vs energy argument. What we're lacking is peak power generation capacity - we have plenty of capacity to produce enough energy in total over a day - it's producing enough power instantly at peak times that's the problem. EV charging will almost certainly be during off peak periods, so shouldn't have a significant impact on peak time loadings.

- Andy.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » What's delaying Amendment 2?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.