Increase font size
Topic Title: Wooden CU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 February 2013 10:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 February 2013 10:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Pacific

Went to look at a job adding a circuit in a church hall, existing CU is of the backless wooden variety, I have looked for a documented reason to get it changed to no avail

Dont want the committee to think I am touting for work, so if anyone has a link to the relavent info I would be most grateful
 20 February 2013 10:44 AM

AJJewsbury

Is it mounted on an incombustible surface? If so, I suspect it'd do better in a certain person's cigarette lighter test than a modern replacement

- Andy.
 20 February 2013 10:44 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Just go in there do the job they have asked for, certificate it and make some brief reasonable comments on the installation and what improvements you recommend, once you start getting into screwdriver pointing, politics, regulations and law then people switch off and you can guarantee your telephone number is winging its way to the wastepaper bin.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 20 February 2013 at 10:50 AM by rocknroll
 20 February 2013 11:15 AM

DR2366

I think the wiring matters issue 40 has an article on fire protection and the ESC guide to changing a consumer unit gives a list of valid reasons for consumer unit replacement.

At the end of the day it will depend on the mind set of the customer.

You could point out how there existing unit differs from a new unit and the possible advantages it would offer and leave it up to them.

If it was in your house would you change it? If the answer is yes the reasons you would do it for are just a valid for your customers. You shouldn't say it must or it doesn't comply unless it true.

My last board change was because customer no longer could put up with the whole house being affected when the up front RCD tripped.

Most people understand that nothing lasts for ever and at some point things need replacement. Just because the vacuum cleaner from 1950 still works doesn't stop people buying a new one. One just sucks a little better than the other!
 21 February 2013 05:30 PM

spinlondon

You have to get in touch with the NICEIC for the particular Regs. regarding this.
BS7671 doesn't have any.
 21 February 2013 05:42 PM

daveparry1

Why niceic Spin?
 21 February 2013 06:38 PM

normcall

Maybe because they make it up.
According to our local paper, (a)10 people die every year due to electrical installation defects, (b) you can't give yourself a 'part P' certificate - only a registered electrician can, (c) only registered electricians can carry out electrical work and (d) building control need to be notified of any electrical work carried out in the home by non-registered persons.

Need I say more? The press releases are full of these little gems!

Norman
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.