Increase font size
Topic Title: career guidence
Topic Summary: hnc?
Created On: 19 February 2013 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 February 2013 06:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

penrynrugby

hi guys i posted this in a different thread but got no response so here goes!
I am just after some advice about career pathways. I am currently 29 and am a qualified supervisor at a local firm (10+) employees. I feel like i want to go up to the next level and possibly do a degree (hnc) such as a distance learning sort of thing.
I would like to travel around the world and work on offshore/mining/renewables type sector and try and earn alot of money doing it!!
any ideas would be much appreciated.
 19 February 2013 07:13 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

career guidence

Would a spelling course be included! (it's guidance)

Dave.
 19 February 2013 07:20 PM

OMS

OK - in most cases you'll earn more money working overseas on the tools rather than in a more "office" type environment.

If you want to look at design type roles then I guess two pathways - do a C&G 2396 (if you didn't cover design in your 2400 pacakge) - I've assumed you have a 2391

or - do a HNC/HND and look at how that provides entry onto a degree course.

Decide what level you want to work at - ie some "on the tools" some in the office - or all tools or all office

I think you need to be a bit more focused on what you want to do/be - from there the learning and the opportunities are perhaps a little easier to define and work towards.

Good luck whatever you decide - if you're in Penryn, you can have my job tomorrow - happy to swap

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 19 February 2013 08:20 PM

penrynrugby

Thanks for the advice mate ill take that in board
 20 February 2013 08:43 AM

MrP

The place with work and mainly recession proof is the Middle East
Qatar and Saudi has shed loads of work. Qatar has the world cup coming up, to get a position and associated package of any substance in Qatar you will need a degree, any degree that you can associate with M&E or construction. So your first stop would be to enroll on a HNC course the intake being September from there a degree.
If you look to the right of this post there are universities advertising degree distance learning courses cost about £7k for two years, you will recoup that back many fold if you use it well.
As an engineer in the ME you would be looking at somewhere between £7k and £10k per month plus package
The place to be without any question is Oman, the climate is good it used to be a British protectorate, the people are civilized, and the diving is the best in the world. More importantly you can get a drink.

Good luck buddy I wish I were 29 again the world is your lobster.

MrP Home in 7days
 20 February 2013 09:35 AM

SherlockOhms

Before you decide on this just ask yourself one question. How much do you value your home life/friends and familly etc.?

I've spent a long time leaning on the hand rails of various platforms around the world staring out to sea wishing I was at home, in the pub or with friends.

I'm not sure if the money is worth it or indeed still around these days and that's before you factor in the danger aspect.
Too many times I've lept off the chopper promising myself that would be the last scary flight I take.

Trust me, it may seem like an adventure but it's a crap/scary way to make a living.

S
 20 February 2013 01:34 PM

MrP

Sherlock
Totally agree with you, but sometime we are forced into courses in life's path that normally we wouldn't take, I was very happy muddling through life in the UK until 2008 hit
The key is not to lose perspective of where home is and the value of family and friends
As an adventure, I have had a great 5years in the ME and one big learning curve, been to places I wouldn't of dreamed of going to, made some good friends.
Worked on megger projects that wouldn't see the light of day in the UK or Europe.
But above all, the money I was fortunate to earn kept my family safe.
It's a very fine balancing act, not all about money, utopia it's not and bills have to be paid, you go where the work/money is. The trick is to know when to go home, at 29 this young man should go for it
Electricians used to be known as journey men

MrPHome in 7days
 20 February 2013 01:48 PM

SherlockOhms

Well said Mr P,

I think you need an exit strategy otherwise you just become another statistic, read sad old divorced (3 times) ex pat who "cant afford to live in England". I've worked alongside many such characters.

Have a riot along the way but don't get crushed, mangled, exploded, sunk, kidnapped or shot. Oh and don't squander the cash! Yeah right.

S.

Oh, and if the drillers say they're going into town for a few beers, just walk away!!!

Edited: 20 February 2013 at 01:55 PM by SherlockOhms
 20 February 2013 03:47 PM

vesuvius

Originally posted by: penrynrugby

hi guys i posted this in a different thread but got no response so here goes!

I am just after some advice about career pathways. I am currently 29 and am a qualified supervisor at a local firm (10+) employees. I feel like i want to go up to the next level and possibly do a degree (hnc) such as a distance learning sort of thing.

I would like to travel around the world and work on offshore/mining/renewables type sector and try and earn alot of money doing it!!

any ideas would be much appreciated.

If your interested in the mining sector you should perhaps look at australia. Ive wored with a few guys who are there now and have been there many years ago. seems to be plenty or work in mining and I think I read somewhere their economy will grow for the next 25 years or so they hope.

I would definitely take on board though what the other guys above have said. foreign fields always seem greener. I would work on my studies in the U.K before going anywhere else, possibly an HNC in building services would be a good starting point. most colleges will offer that type of course at night so you can still work.
 20 February 2013 06:00 PM

penrynrugby

Thank you guys for your time responding really good information especially MR.P . I think i may look into doing a hnc because my girlfriend is studying to be a midwife for three years so i have a 'window' so to speak.
SherlockOhms I do understand your point but she is as keen to move around the world as me so hopefully we could move about together and she has family in dubai. i am thinking middle east or austrailia..
I just think that this country can be so restrictive and always generally a 'struggle'.
I know the grass is always greener and all that but nothing ventured nothing gained!!
(any more cliché's!)
 21 February 2013 10:58 PM

dickllewellyn

Penryn, rugby, firm of 10 plus, that wouldn't be based in Falmouth would it?

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 22 February 2013 06:41 AM

penrynrugby

Rich? I think I know who this is!
 22 February 2013 06:42 AM

penrynrugby

Not the same firm but still in penryn!
 22 February 2013 07:19 AM

dickllewellyn

It's been a while! Send me a PM. Hope you're well mate!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 22 February 2013 10:16 AM

penrynrugby

Ok mate when I work out how to send them I will I'm new to this forum!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.