IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cable tapes, crap quality....any better?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 February 2013 11:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 February 2013 11:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BigRed

Been doing a lot of conduit recentley and have found the quality of the new cable tapes to be terrible. ordered from a couple of different suppliers and both times the crimp has pulled off the end of the plastic. My uncles 40 year old brass shod version is still going strong! Anybody got any recommendations on good quality plastic pull tapes?
 19 February 2013 11:34 AM

OMS

Are you using the fish tape to pull cables rather than the draw wire has to be the first question ?

I've never damaged even cheap nylon tapes when pulling in a 4.0mm2 drawing in wire - from there it's copper to copper with the actual cables. If you swab first, tie a second draw wire to the cotton swab end when you swab through, to save fishing it again

Meanwhile - back in the real world, I used to use Facom and CK tapes - good for about 100+kN. That's the trouble with you big blokes - you just have to tug as hard as you can

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 19 February 2013 11:41 AM

BigRed

Ws only pulling in 6 2.5's staggered joins, my old fish does it no problem, the new ones don't lsast at all. 4mm draw wire over 20 meters? if i'm pulling bug stuff perhaps, but this is tiddler stuff.
as for pulling hard, suppose im used to pulling thick stuff not thin...:-P
 19 February 2013 11:43 AM

mkmike

I've got an old fibreglass tape set from Ideal (S-class I think is what they called it). Was a bit on the pricey side but has done me good over the years (both datacomm and sparky works)

I got it because I hated having my original cheap set constantly getting tangled up and this came in a nice cassette reel to keep things organised.

I also had the steel fish-tape from ideal, never really used it that much. I found it buried in the back of my shed the other week, tried to pull the tape out and the whole thing exploded sending pieces of steel flying everywhere! That'll teach me for not looking after things :-)
 19 February 2013 11:48 AM

OMS

Originally posted by: BigRed

Ws only pulling in 6 2.5's staggered joins, my old fish does it no problem, the new ones don't lsast at all. 4mm draw wire over 20 meters? if i'm pulling bug stuff perhaps, but this is tiddler stuff.

as for pulling hard, suppose im used to pulling thick stuff not thin...:-P

LoL - more drawing in boxes and less site bends and sets then - and use stranded not solid drawn singles -

I guess someone still does steel fish tapes ?

Regards

OMS

19 February 2013 11:53 AM

BigRed

ahhh there are plenty of both drawing in boxes and only 2 site bends. one tight corner and some yellow pulling helps mind . I use the steel on new, but the plastic when pulling past old wiring. only seen that mistake once, we had to rewire the mess when it shorted 2 35mm xple's together.
 19 February 2013 12:26 PM

OMS

OK - personally, I won't draw new cables on top of old without drawing the lot back out and pulling everything in at the same time - even if that means chopping off at the nearest available box and using connectors or crimps - I've seen the aftermath of trying it on too many occasions

I agree you wouldn't want steel in the tube under any circumstances, and certainly not with existing conductors still live.

Keep in mind though (granny and eggs sort of comment) that pulling singles over existing can still "burn" through insulation in seconds - you can never get enough "lube" in the "tube"

Regards

OMS

19 February 2013 04:33 PM

dbullard

Yellow 77 ????

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 19 February 2013 05:07 PM

BigRed

yep, works a treat, so does liquid soap, but that isn't type tested... as you say, granny and eggs, it's all down to experience and knowing whats in the trunking and tube. slow and sure is the order there...
 19 February 2013 05:38 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: dbullard

Yellow 77 ????

Regards

Daren

That's the stuff - although be careful as it's not recognized in several sectors as it can (may) affect polyethylene based insulators.

If you can't drag it through with a good squirt of Yellow, you need a winch or bigger tube

Regards

OMS

19 February 2013 05:42 PM

OMS

slow and sure is the order there...

Unless you're on bonus of course - then don't try and undertsand 'em, just drag 'em in and gland 'em - yee hah -

I've seen some really horrible damage caused by the over zealous installation of cables to existing partially filled containment - and that's befor the lids get hammered back on -

Regards

OMS

19 February 2013 09:07 PM

impvan

Well I use both, steel and nylon. One of them is called the 'mantrap'.

Now I don't mind getting a belt off the steel one; but i'm buggered if I'm going to be tripped off me ladder by the nylon one....
It reminds me of a roll of no-name 4mm g/y I got a few years ago - you could run it off the roll, but by god you didn't dare let go of it.

Right, how to stop mould growing on the Yellow77??
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.