Increase font size
Topic Title: Floor Plans
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 February 2013 10:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 February 2013 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Richard64

I need to get some floor plans for emergency lighting installs.
Apart from drawing them up myself, would they be available from the local building authority?
If not, how does everyone else go about this?
 18 February 2013 10:54 AM

peteTLM

Presumably your customer would own the building, and have them available if any exist.
Otherwise you need to draw them yourself.
If its a new build or a new conversion then there probably are plans, if you doing remedial work some years after construction, these are usually long gone.

Even if building control or other had them from when it was built, they wouldnt copy them for you for free as it costs a fortune, and have no place handing out information on peoples buildings to anyone........

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 18 February 2013 11:48 AM

Richard64

Unfortunately, Pete, no floor plans available.
I have several projects being priced at present, with a view to getting the testing as well, so floor plans would need to be provided.
I have made some up using CAD software, in the past, but it is quite time consuming. Would it be more cost effective to have an architect measure up and draw them for me?
 18 February 2013 12:00 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: Richard64

I have several projects being priced at present, with a view to getting the testing as well, so floor plans would need to be provided.

I have made some up using CAD software, in the past, but it is quite time consuming. Would it be more cost effective to have an architect measure up and draw them for me?

Hi Richard,

Where are the buildings/ work.

The best option woul be to ask the client to supply them as a requirement for the work.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 18 February 2013 12:02 PM

Richard64

Oh, and before I get too carried away with this, am I correct in telling customers they need floor plans to comply with BS 5266? Even as part of a job involving direct replacements for existing.
 18 February 2013 12:03 PM

Richard64

Originally posted by: Martynduerden

Hi Richard,

The best option woul be to ask the client to supply them as a requirement for the work.

All over London, Martin.
Mostly for RTMs and Management companies, who funnily enough, just want the work done with as little inconvenience and cost as possible.

(Edited for appalling grammer)
 18 February 2013 12:08 PM

Martynduerden

Hi Richard,

All over London, Martin.

Mostly for RTMs and Management companies, who funnily enough, just want the work done with as little inconvenience and cost as possible.

(Edited for appalling grammer)

I may be able to assist with cad drawings and plots if you wish, I'm not an architect by any stretch but I don't charge architects money

PM me if you wish, I am just outside London

Regards

Martyn.

18 February 2013 12:10 PM

Martynduerden

Oh, and before I get too carried away with this, am I correct in telling customers they need floor plans to comply with BS 5266? Even as part of a job involving direct replacements for existing.

Hopefully Zs will post for you, but essentially providing the correct documentation for 5266 is more paperwork than actual work!

Regards

Martyn.

18 February 2013 12:24 PM

Richard64

Hopefully Zs will post for you, but essentially providing the correct documentation for 5266 is more paperwork than actual work!

Which is fine, as long as I can justify charging it on.
Once again, though, a case of competing against people who do half a job :-(
 18 February 2013 12:39 PM

Martynduerden

I guess the answer is don't try to compete on price - no one will accuse me of being in the race to the bottom, but I don't mind that.

Getting clients that actually require a quality job is not easy but it is worth waiting for, I'd rather be twiddling my thumbs than installing / suppling crap.

Keep ya chin up

Regards

Martyn.

18 February 2013 12:44 PM

Richard64

I guess the answer is don't try to compete on price - no one will accuse me of being in the race to the bottom, but I don't mind that.

Getting clients that actually require a quality job is not easy but it is worth waiting for, I'd rather be twiddling my thumbs than installing / suppling crap.

Keep ya chin up

This is my strategy.
However, I'm getting RSI from excessive thumb twiddling at the moment.
 18 February 2013 05:01 PM

chriso

I know of a company that produces floorplans for estate agents details to RICS guidelines.

PM me if you would like their details, would be considerably cheaper than employing an architect.

Regards

Chris
 18 February 2013 06:09 PM

Richard64

Thanks to everyone for their offers of help.
If I can work out how to PM people, I will reply.
I've got some software called PCschematic which is OK.
Probably have to go to screwfix in the morning. Their laser measurers look the part???
 18 February 2013 08:37 PM

impvan

Not one of my customers in 20+ years has had existing plans.

I use a bosch laser measure (the blue one, not the green diy one) and it's saved me HOURS!!!
I use turbocad for doing the drawings, but if starting again and for simple plans without many layers I would learn/use Google's SketchUp.

Having hit a buried pipe before Xmas - screwed copper too, which you can't get any fittings for... - next item on the list is a decent wallscanner.
 18 February 2013 09:56 PM

SKElectrical

am I correct in telling customers they need floor plans to comply with BS 5266?.

Erm I don't think that you are right on that count actually. But I always draw them up as I don't see how testing and effective maintenance can be done without plans.
If you don't want the expense of CAD - use the drawings from the asbestos survey, nearly all commercial buildings have them now.
 19 February 2013 06:11 AM

Thripster

If you are an Excel user there are drawing tools which can be used - not ideal but cheap and, with perseverance, relatively quick.

Regards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.