Increase font size
Topic Title: A brilliant idea.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 February 2013 08:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 February 2013 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

frspikeyhead

I have been considering designing something that will make electrical installations far easier. I have the idea but not sure where to go from here. It is not something that I could manufacture but something I wish to approach electrical manufacturers with to see if they will take me up on my idea. However, I want my piece of the cake so to speak. What do you do in this circumstance.
 15 February 2013 08:17 PM

kj scott

You need to register your idea with the patent office before going to anyone. Be prepared fo a long trek though, if your idea is going to affect any estabished manufacturer they will block and delay you, waitng for you to run out of money/steam or both;then just pick it up.
Look for some books on the patent process to give you some idea; be careful who you tell and good fortune.

-------------------------
http://www.niceic.biz
 15 February 2013 09:03 PM

frspikeyhead

Thanks for that Kj. It is the established manufacturers whom I wish to approach as it involves an improvement of electrical equipment already out there and, as I see it, all manufacturers seem to have the same problem with that certain piece of equipment. Any way I have googled away and found a company that help search and patent ideas. Until I phone them tomorrow I will not know their cut..
 18 February 2013 11:45 AM

vesuvius

Dragons Den????

A guy from northern Ireland went on with the choc box some years ago. simple idea put some connectors in a plastic box, they went for it. hes probably well in the money now.
 18 February 2013 12:22 PM

KFH

As well as above, get a confidentiality agreement for both you and any company you approach to sign. They may want you to sign one anyway. It will protect both of you in the event that they have already genuinely had the idea or try to pretend they have.
You will probably need to sell it to them and should have a basic business case to present to prospective partners.

Also be very careful about people wanting to help you for a fee up front. A friend lost a lot of money with companies that could "help him get his product to market" They all were very plausible but just ripped him off.

Good luck
 18 February 2013 12:55 PM

Legh

Just to add. You can also check to see if anything like your idea has been patented, then bought up by another company/competitor.and hidden away and forgotton about.
No point in spending hours working on something and then finding someone has already been there.

Good luck

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 23 February 2013 06:20 PM

frspikeyhead

Thanks guys for all the replies. I have already approached a company who wish to undertake the patent investigation etc but unfortunately they want a wod of cash up front for that. Do any of you know of a respectable and trustworthy companies that can do this. Thanks.
 23 February 2013 06:38 PM

Zs

Spikey, it sounds a bit as though yours is an idea rather than an actual gadget at the moment.

As such and if it were me I would be looking at protecting your idea as your 'intellectual property' or possibly copyrighting it before going much further.

With the idea protected as yours you may better be placed to discuss it with the manufacturers.

My only experience with this is perhaps relevant; In my artist days I used to make some extraordinary tables and designed some chairs which I had made elsewhere. In fact I am sitting at and on one now. I was commissioned to make one for a Phillipe Starck (sp?) show appartment and while I was there installing it I heard the interior designer lady tell someone that she had designed it and that they were her idea.

I managed to get a copyright on the design concept quickly, albeit in a basic format using something called a copyright protection envelope. You pay for an envelope, put your stuff inside it with proof of the date and send it back to them with only half of the seal. You keep the other half. In the event of a dispute the envelope is delivered to the court and you turn up with the other half of the seal. They were based in Glasgow and might be worth a whirl on google. Just telling the lady that the design was copyright protected was enough to stop her from selling the tables as her own and from using me as a manufacturer.

Zs

They do still exist. copyright protection .com and £65. Might buy you some time while you do it properly?

Edited: 23 February 2013 at 06:47 PM by Zs
 23 February 2013 07:05 PM

Cremeegg

I hope your idea is better than the infamous chocbox. Nasty cheap brittle plastic, nasty little screws holding nasty bits of plastic. So time consuming. Wagoboxes - now there is something much better.

Good luck with whatever it is; look forward to seeing you on a small stand at Elex and buying a decent product/process that will make my life easier and yours much richer.
 23 February 2013 07:09 PM

frspikeyhead

Thanks Zs. Your correct in saying mine is just an idea and I merely wish to approach manufacturers. The problem I am hearing though is that you cannot patent an idea until a patent investigation has been undertaken to ascertain whether the idea has already been patented somewhere else world wide. I am half tempted to approach a manufacturer without all this red tape and risk it for free. I don't really want to part with hundreds of pounds only to receive the news that my idea already exists. And then your left only taking the word of these experts to say that a search was actually done.
 23 February 2013 07:22 PM

Zs

Quite right Spikey, but why not spend £65 now and put something about your idea into a vault. Then keep a detailed record of who you tell about the idea so that if they steal it as their own you can prove it is yours?

I was buying the equivalent of a choc box long before the dragons' den show. Now I can only get the Dragons' den make but I doubt it was his invention....I had a van full of something just like it. In fact, the previous version was better.

Zs
 24 February 2013 08:50 AM

Zs

Nearly as good as my tables and spikey's invention then;
 25 February 2013 06:03 PM

frspikeyhead

Not sure where the £65 comes from. I was been asked to part with £650 plus.
 25 February 2013 06:18 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: frspikeyhead

Not sure where the £65 comes from. I was been asked to part with £650 plus.

Two different things

Zs is suggesting a recordable method of lodging your idea with a date record - it's the more up to date equivalent of achieveing the same thing by putting it in an envelope, putting a postage stamp across the seal and getting it franked at your local post office. If you feel it was your idea, then you produce the unopened letter to a court who can then determine where the intellectual property might belong

The larger cost is to undertake a world wide patent search at your cost to see if the manufacturers or venture capital think it worth while proceeding.

They aren't going to spend money devolping your idea to find that they either can't sell it or some nice china man can make it velly velly cheap - they want you to do that research or charge you for them to do it.

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.