Increase font size
Topic Title: Digger drivers
Topic Summary: Grrrr
Created On: 14 February 2013 10:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 February 2013 10:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

slittle

There I was dressed clean for the second time this week enjoying doing a bit of teaching (not electrics) when one of the farmers rings.

"We've got the new cable you had delivered, but whilst trenching we've hit the old one"

Hit it, that would be an understatement, it was an old pilc cable buried about 12 inches under the farm yard. The digger had snapped it with one end about 6 inches from the edge of a new concrete pad and the other end was under water in the bottom of the trench.

Thankfully the farmer had decided by the time I arrived to abandon the old cable in favour of linking the barn it fed from the new barn he was digging too which saved a very wet afternoon.

In the interests of safety I decided to disconnect it completely from the switchgear which was probably a good thing given that I then discover it's taken out 2 of UKPN's fuses. They obviously operated a little faster than ours which as far as I'm concerned is ok, the fault was disconnected

An interesting conversation then ensued with their call centre as I tried to explain I didn't need a jointing team or engineers to look at the damaged cable, just a guy with some fuses to put the supply back on... Sometimes it would be better if they listened a little more to the clues instead of following the autocue.

Looking forward to my next meeting with them....

Stu
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.