Topic Title: Need Opinions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 February 2013 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 February 2013 09:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

Originally posted by: Zoro

It is very difficult to make a living in the electrical trade, there are more people training to become Electricians than any other trade.

Is that a bad thing - we have a dire shortage of skilled labour in the UK

With the training companies stating that you can earn 50-60K a year as an Electrician the trade is being swamped.

Swamped - I don't think so, personally - there a plenty of niche jobs unfilled, skills are low for the majority of cases though, there is of course retirement or a move "off" the tools going on and £50 - £60K a year is not that difficult to achieve (although I agree you probably won't do that as a 1 man band)

There are more people doing Electrical Installation and associated courses than any other C&G course it has been No1 for the last five years, Hairdressing and the Hospitality industries trail behind.

Of course - the industry wants plenty of "installers" and a lot less "electricians" - basically dirt cheap wire, fire and f**k off types that just belt it in and then one or two sensible chaps sort it out and certificate it at the end - it's being driven by big construction in an extremely difficult market.

There again it takes 18 months to become a Hairdresser, obviously higher standards than Scam Schemes.

Really ? - I see some crap work from long standing time served chaps and I see some excellent work from people who don't have what's considered to be a "classical" background in electrical engineering

It's all about Money not Safety.

And that suprises you ? - show me any trade that isn't - we undervalue artisan skills in the UK

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 13 February 2013 09:46 AM

SherlockOhms

A wise man told me years ago "if you want to make money, deal with people who've got it" He installed burglar alarms. People in council houses don't generally have alarms.

I think, if possible it's best to analyse your customers, if the gut feeling is that price is the only parameter, then put in the price you'd be happy to do the job for and walk away. If it comes in then yippee, if not, you are probably best out of it anyway.

Wise words, perhaps not real world but that's what we have.

S.
 13 February 2013 09:52 AM

antric2

Morning Dan,
There are some very wise, constructive and valid comments made here by various people who know what they are talking about so read,digest and make basic guideline for yourself on how to do your business.

I think your prices are ok for downlights but up here in Bury a quote of 2k to 2.2k for the rewire.
Business is making a profit ( oops sorry on reading this back I dont mean to teach you to suck eggs) so to compete and get a foot hold, have you worked out exactly what you have as outgoings on a weekly\monthly basis, factor in room for any possible error or mishaps days off etc then you can structure your prices accordingly and be competitive but remember if you go too cheap with a customer then you have them cheap for life and it does not make it an easy living and then you become a busy fool but you have to build up some customer base.

It is difficult from a personal and regional view as one price does not fit the whole country but

beware of one thing and stick to your guns on this;
You will quote a job then a few weeks later you will get a call to certify it or have a '...my electrician has gone awol can you finish it...' scenario...... take great pleasure in saying NO I cant ,sorry bye bye!!

Good luck on your mission and give it ago.
Regards
Antric
 13 February 2013 05:48 PM

MrOther

And that suprises you ? - show me any trade that isn't - we undervalue artisan skills in the UK

I thought this was a universal truth.
 13 February 2013 08:19 PM

BrucieBonus

It's hard when you start off but once you start to win a few jobs and word gets out that you are a good electrician you will be able to charge a premium - and chose NOT to work for some customers...

Good advice here - hang on in there and it will come good

A suggestion - how about doing some smaller jobs (eg new light fitting) - these can get you recommended to other clients (or the same client to 'test you out') and you could do some of these at a lower price to get your foot in the door - but make sure peeps know it's a special introductory rate while you build up bigger business??
 13 February 2013 08:41 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: Zs

Where are you Dan?

Your prices, to me are scary low and I would think you were a cowboy if you quoted that to me. I'd be paying a lad that much to help me. I realise that my mortgage and all that stuff is probably much higher than yours and son on (South Bucks) It costs me a pound just to park the van and pop to the bank to put a cheque in. No, I am not wealthy.

Fancy doing some debt collecting when you next in Bucks, got a customer that owes me over £2k from there.

I took a call today to go and quote for a rewire in High Wycombe. I'm going to go and quote just for the amusement of it because she said three things of note:

First, that they have already had two quotes and that they were agbout £10k. Next, that her husband is going to help. Then that it would take two days to rewire the house. It is a 2 bedroom jobbie so it maybe about £6k but bear in mind the one I am working on at the moment is 2 bedrooms and it would be about 12K cos it is huge.

Tell us where you are so that your local mates can give you some feedback.

Keep your pride.

Zs

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 13 February 2013 08:48 PM

DOUGIE1000

Were £25+vat per down light supplied and installed,

I think your rewire at bout £2500+vat is spot on.

Course we are vat registered and your prices won't include vat.

Dougie

13 February 2013 09:30 PM

Zs

I assume from that you are not local Dougie? That's rough for you. Anyone who doesn't pay risks losing their entire team of trades round here. We aren't a mafia or anything but we do care about each other.

Do you remember, way back, that job I was working on for the TV weatherman? As a short reminder, he had his own copy of the brown regs and was inclined to tell me how to do my job. He pulled in a load of his own cables one weekend and caused my education on the subject of why an RCD doesn't trip...and so on. After the third non-payment and a bouncing cheque I went over and made safe. I'll wait until they call me I thought.

Well, about three weeks ago I get an urgent call for assistance to finish the same flat (nearly three years on). Recently appointed builder has done a runner, electrics not finished.

In order to complete a few bits I charged him handsomely and got a cheque for the plumber of three years ago, and the tiler. Nice. None of us will go back but it is all done.

He asked me a question as I sorted out a borrowed neutral to the new porch light for him and it made me smile. 'When you are on a site, how long does it take you to earn the respect of your fellow tradesmen?' 'Considerably less time than it has taken me to earn yours Mr Man'.

Maybe let me know who it is Dougie. I absolutely loved driving those cheques round (home).

Zs
 13 February 2013 09:50 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: Zs

I assume from that you are not local Dougie? That's rough for you. Anyone who doesn't pay risks losing their entire team of trades round here. We aren't a mafia or anything but we do care about each other.

Do you remember, way back, that job I was working on for the TV weatherman? As a short reminder, he had his own copy of the brown regs and sewas inclined to tell me how to do my job. He pulled in a load of his own cables one weekend and caused my education on the subject of why an RCD doesn't trip...and so on. After the third non-payment and a bouncing cheque I went over and made safe. I'll wait until they call me I thought.

Well, about three weeks ago I get an urgent call for assistance to finish the same flat (nearly three years on). Recently appointed builder has done a runner, electrics not finished.

In order to complete a few bits I charged him handsomely and got a cheque for the plumber of three years ago, and the tiler. Nice. None of us will go back but it is all done.

He asked me a question as I sorted out a borrowed neutral to the new porch light for him and it made me smile. 'When you are on a site, how long does it take you to earn the respect of your fellow tradesmen?' 'Considerably less time than it has taken me to earn yours Mr Man'.

Maybe let me know who it is Dougie. I absolutely loved driving those cheques round (home).

Zs

Pm ed you Zs.

Dougie

13 February 2013 10:16 PM

sparkingchip

You have to consider the variables of course, is the property occupied or void, types of flooring etc.

I haven't done a rewire for several years, the last one I priced was quoted, with a very detailed specification , was at £2500 I lost it to someone who quoted at £1900 having come in off one of these websites that people post their requirements on and the contact details are then sold to those who want to quote.

The electricians from out of town travelled some thirty miles each way, probably at a average speed of thirty miles a hour and did the job for the price quoted at six hundred less than me, but told the customers it did not include the shower circuit, stainless fittings and down lights in the kitchen or the plaster patching, all included in my quote. So who's the fool there then? I'm sure the completed job cost more than the quote I gave them and the quality of installation was not that high, materials of workmanship.

I have generally won every job I have quoted, however I have reviewed my pricing strategy which has resulted in prices going up, people are not signing me up on the spot and I'm going to have to quote more jobs, but hopefully enough will come in at a bit higher value to be able to leave some of the lower paying work to others, only time will tell.

I put two hundred quid on one rewire quote because the customers had two pain in the !"£$ kids who would have slowed progress, What else are you supposed to do?
 14 February 2013 06:38 PM

largelunchbox

mmmmm so £400 for 16 d/l = £25.00 each supplied and fitted, you can come and work for me 7 days a week at those prices, ill sit at home watching daytime tv while you pay my mortgage. £50 each would be a starting point and up to £80 each would be preferred.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Need Opinions

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.