Increase font size
Topic Title: Plug-in hob
Topic Summary: First one
Created On: 11 February 2013 07:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 February 2013 07:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

Today is the first time I've come across a hob with a 13A plug on it.

It's an induction hob with a 'total connected load' of 2.99kW.

It's a new kitchen, I've already put in a dedicated supply for the hob because I had no info on it until today.

I guess that standard size ovens and hobs are being designed to be more efficient and it may become the norm to have 13A sockets on these kinds of appliances.

A lot of ovens already come with 13A plugs, if we now start plugging in hobs as well we won't need heating in our kitchens.
 11 February 2013 08:42 PM

DOUGIE1000

Mike I had one the other day also, were doing a row of new builds and last week I went to 2nd fix a kitchen that one of our guys wired and upon finding only one 10mm cable for a double oven and the hob on the other side if the kitchen is wired in 2.5radial, one very annoyed boss I was, well until I found out the NEFF hob is 13amp.

The kitchen fitters said for last month or two all the hobs just changed overnight to this new model, still same output in event of apperamce /cooking etc.

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 11 February 2013 09:41 PM

chunk522

Ive also had one of these last week Induction hob with a plug head on it, I had already put in a 6mm cable as well as there were no spec for the appliances.
 11 February 2013 09:47 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: chunk522

Ive also had one of these last week Induction hob with a plug head on it, I had already put in a 6mm cable as well as there were no spec for the appliances.

I was once told the the BR required a 6mm min in any case for a cooking appliance......

It really is about time that ovens and the like were under 13A

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 11 February 2013 10:12 PM

SKElectrical

What an unbelievable ball ache it is trying to get ratings of appliances from your customer or their kitchen fitter.... and even when you do find out the model, it invariably has different ratings depending on which site you look at.
I am increasingly coming across 16A appliances.
Anyway I tend to wire a ring, a 6mm and at least one 2.5 radial. it might cost £10 extra in cable, but you can spend hours trying to get the actual specification.
 14 February 2013 02:24 PM

ArthurHall

What about the Baby Belling mini cookers back in the sixtys, they plugged in. If you wait long enough every thing comes back into fashion.
 14 February 2013 02:33 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: ArthurHall

What about the Baby Belling mini cookers back in the sixtys, they plugged in. If you wait long enough every thing comes back into fashion.

And in the case of a baby belling, if you wait long enough, you might just get a lukewarm pasty (but only if you popped it in about 1972) -

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 14 February 2013 03:15 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: OMS

And in the case of a baby belling, if you wait long enough, you might just get a lukewarm pasty (but only if you popped it in about 1972) - [IMG][/IMG]

regards

OMS

LOL Yes, I think we all remember bed-sit land with its distinct herbal aroma with Santana, Yes, Moody's and Emerson, Lake and Palmer in the background, the Baby Belling was useful for that very late fry-up before you drifted into a trance like state of sleep. LOL

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 14 February 2013 05:22 PM

mikejumper

I don't think freezing cold bathrooms and spluttering geysers will ever come back into fashion.
 14 February 2013 07:26 PM

ArthurHall

Yeah and nobody thought Belfast sinks would be back either.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.