Increase font size
Topic Title: Great opportunity for a starter
Topic Summary: Berkhamsted
Created On: 11 February 2013 06:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 February 2013 06:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Hello,

Do we have any up and coming sparkies on here who can transport themself to the Berkhamsted area?

I have been doing some work for a building contractor but today we have had 'the' conversation. He can't afford me and catches me on the cusp of moving away from installation. His requirement is for a basic installation sparky. Downlights, switches, the occasional remote control, sockets, Distribution boards and......first fixing.

So I suggested that he give an opportunity to a starter and that I will QS and help with the complicated stuff. This is a great learning opportunity and will give you a route to becoming registered. Your inspection jobs will already have been inspected. I'm offering to spoon-feed you a career, as a self employed sparky.

If you are nearing the end of your college education and are looking for a chance to begin your life as an electrician, would like a genuine introduction to a busy builder in the Berkhamsted area then send me a private mail. Oh, if you can't work out how to send a private mail then you are an instant no-no. You need to be able to get yourself to work for 8.30 in the morning so you really need your own transport.

He is looking to pay about £100 a day but you'll be able to squeeze a bit more out of him and he is a man who deals with your tax, so you'll have to get CIS registered but that's only a phone call away.

Zs

Edited: 11 February 2013 at 06:38 PM by Zs
 11 February 2013 07:16 PM

slittle

I've just nabbed myself one so you're not having him :-)

Stu
 11 February 2013 08:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Parsley

What's wrong with starting at 8?
 11 February 2013 08:55 PM

Zs

Ha Parsely. Nothing, except that when I last worked a day for him I was sat on the doorstep at 8 and nobody there to let me in.

Cor, I can't handle the flood of pm's.....not. I think Norm lives in Berko...I wonder if he's looking for a little job?

I'm working in Berko at the moment, for myself, separate from all this and dealing with an old installation which in its day was beautifully installed. I keep wondering if Norm did it.
 11 February 2013 10:04 PM

normcall

Not sure if I like the idea of working in all this snow at my age.
He'd have to be desperate as I had so many arguments with builders who either changed their minds, forgot to co-ordinate the assorted services or just forgot to tell you something just because it wasn't directly electrical, that I stopped talking to them about 20 years ago.

Sounds a great idea as I could actually argue with someone instead of muttering to myself (but then I know I'm right!).

Sorry but I never did old installations. Mine were usually new, but seldom go back (in case they hit me). I just hate it when I get calls that start with 'are you still doing electrical work' (stopped advertising a few years ago, but somehow they still find me!), closely followed by 'you came about 15 years ago and can you come and..............'.

-------------------------
Norman
 12 February 2013 08:12 AM

Zs

there you go, one reply from a user since 2009, never posted.

I'll call you later on and put you in touch with the builder.

Rule of thumb....never mention this forum, just let them think you already know it

Catch you later.

Zs
 12 February 2013 09:45 AM

shrek

Why is it good for a starter a qualified electrician should be earning more than £100 a day , is the builder not quoting enough? all it does is drive down the prices so would say not good for anyone. has he had the same conversation with the plumber?
 12 February 2013 03:10 PM

JonSteward

Originally posted by: shrek

Why is it good for a starter a qualified electrician should be earning more than £100 a day , is the builder not quoting enough? all it does is drive down the prices so would say not good for anyone. has he had the same conversation with the plumber?

It has to be a oner as the builders now got to pay £££ for the consultant!
 12 February 2013 08:38 PM

Zs

More funny than you know Jon....He owes me £500.
 12 February 2013 09:41 PM

JonSteward

Best fit one of your special remotes:-)
Really like that idea!
 13 February 2013 08:26 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: shrek

I don't know Shrek. What I do know is that for whatever reason this builder is struggling to get a decent job done on the electrics and he needs dedicated support. He thought I would be a basic installer who did the odd I&T and he mistenterpreted. I expect that he is competing as hard as he can and I don't get the impression that he is a money making cowboy. He pays most of his men about £100 a day and if I may be brutally honest here what I see is a few men who rely on him to provide them with work for that £100 a day. Men with no ambition.

We all have a brain on here (which of course we share) and we can see that the chance to pick up speed, learn and gain practical experience as part of a team is invaluable. I'm on a double whammy here in as much as I'm offering the builder a chance to get his electrics done properly and offering someone with no network or history of installations a chance to do some work with a mentor. The suggestion comes from what I hope is a good heart and it is going to cost me time and attention. This is my payback for having been mentored by some special brains. It's not crap Shrek, it's genuine.

The fellow who has contacted me said that he read my post and thought 'this is a gift'. Now, he could easily wire up his own house for £0 on his own and get himself registered or he could come and do a cracking job for £100 a day with help on the end of a phone for a few months and get himself registered and ensconced into a community network of supportive trades.

Give him five months and he will be ready to go solo For £300 a day.

I know what I would do.

Edit, actually, I would also sign up for an NVQ3 and take loads of photos for the next few months as well. Hello JIB Gold Card.

Zs

Edited: 13 February 2013 at 08:35 PM by Zs
 13 February 2013 10:27 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: Zs

Edit, actually, I would also sign up for an NVQ3 and take loads of photos for the next few months as well. Hello JIB Gold Card.

Zs

Yes you should madam. One should listen to ones self

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 13 February 2013 11:52 PM

OMS

What suprises me is only one response to what seems a very genuine opportunity offered by Zs.

It may be only £100 notes a day in the first instance, but then improvers as we used to call them didn't get rate until a few years in, anyway

Clearly it's in the gift that it's an opportunity that's being offered here - not £100/day - and all that with the added value of having a mentor who has been through the same route, with the same challenges and has worked hard to develop both a career and a reputation in the business.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.