Increase font size
Topic Title: Shower ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 February 2013 10:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 February 2013 10:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

goldenboy1818

Hi just wondered if anyone had come across this before ? Electric triton t80xr shower, works fine for a minute then completely cuts out. Now it will not even activate when start button is pressed. Power light stays lit , and isolator all ok.

Also this shower has no rcd protection, wouldn't want to fit a replacement unless client would update fuseboard really to include rcd protection.
 11 February 2013 11:22 AM

mkmike

Solenoid on the stabiliser side is knacked by the sounds of it.

Seems to happen a lot to Triton Showers. Changed a few out in the last 4 months. Solenoid costs about a tenner (part no. HYDR-27600 from showerdoc.com) It's a fairly universal solenoid for showers so I do tend to keep a spare on hand.

Could you not fit a shower unit RCD from the board rather than going for a board upgrade.
 11 February 2013 11:26 AM

MrP

Not a lot of bits in a shower pressure switch, solenoid and stat if I were a betting man as you state it cuts out I presume you mean the water and not the heat then the solenoid if it's the heat that cuts out then my money would be on the stat

MrP I used to fit showers on a price many many moons ago Happy days the world was my lobster
 11 February 2013 11:34 AM

goldenboy1818

Would you not replace whole shower ? Just solenoid ?
 11 February 2013 11:38 AM

mkmike

Yep

The cut-outs do operate (to be correct it's the main thermal cut-out to the heater can), the reason is because the solenoid on the stabilser/mixer cannot hold open and the flow of water into the heater can is interrupted causing the water to boil (thus tripping the cut-out)

You can actually hear the water boil just before the cut-out operates.

Testing has always (so far for me with triton showers) shown it to be the solenoid failing. BUT don't rule out 1 of the 2 cut-outs, the one on top of the heater can asembly and other on the outlet pipe assembly.

Hope that helps
 11 February 2013 11:41 AM

mkmike

Originally posted by: goldenboy1818

Would you not replace whole shower ? Just solenoid ?

Only if customer really wanted that :-)

Changing the solenoid out is quick and easy (about 20 minutes once water and power isolated to shower) as I said part is about a tenner so customer is likely to settle for that option rather than several hours labour and the price of a new shower to boot
 11 February 2013 12:08 PM

zeeper

low water presure in general, happens alot at my mums
 11 February 2013 12:31 PM

goldenboy1818

Now pushing the on button does nothing ? Does that still sound like a solenoid ?
 11 February 2013 08:51 PM

goldenboy1818

Would just repairing the shower with a new solenoid require rcd upgrading of the shower ?
 11 February 2013 09:41 PM

daveparry1

Sorry Goldenboy but if you're asking a question like that you probably shouldn't be working on it anyway!
 11 February 2013 10:17 PM

goldenboy1818

Thanks was only asking. Obviously all showers should be rcd protected. The one in this case had no rcd protection. I just wondered if repairing it would give me some responsibility
 11 February 2013 10:20 PM

jamieblatant

The name of this thread promised me so much more than I got

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 12 February 2013 07:35 AM

zeeper

Sorry Goldenboy but if you're asking a question like that you probably shouldn't be working on it anyway

however the regs are not retrospective. I dont think connecting a new accessory would normally require the customer upgrading his electrical system. however he should be advised of the current requirement.

I can remember putting showers on rcd's in the mid 90, when did the requirement appear, was it 91 with the 16th addition.
 12 February 2013 08:16 AM

cmatheson

I think if you are replacing a shower you should (re)read the manufacturers installation guide. Chances are it will call for RCD protection and, if absent, the customer should be made aware.

-------------------------
Chris Matheson MInstMC
 12 February 2013 09:45 AM

daveparry1

His last question was about repairing the shower Chris, not replacing it therefore he would be under no obligation regs wise to rcd it, although as you say the customer should be advised accordingly,

Dave.
 12 February 2013 09:49 AM

mkmike

Originally posted by: goldenboy1818

Now pushing the on button does nothing ? Does that still sound like a solenoid ?

Possibly, the cut-out does get the hump after a few tries, normally means you have to isolate and wait a while for it to reset.

If you go to showerdoc website (I have no connection with this company, just I have used them for spares in the past :-)), there is a link on the Triton section about how to test the solenoid/cut-outs etc.

Answers to other questions: No you won't need to upgrade to RCD protection if you change out the solenoid or indeed if you do like for like replacement of the shower. But as others have said be mindful of manufacturers instructions (darn that 17th edition! says he holding torque screwdriver in one hand!).

Cover your *****, complete a MEIWC and clearly note on the cert 'no RCD Protection in place' explain to customer about how nice it would be to be alive (hopefully) should something untoward happen (I mean water and electrics what could possibly go wrong)

Shower RCD unit is only about £20 from screwfix harldy huge amounts of money. I usually recommend this to customers if they don't want a DB upgrade. That way I can sleep at night.
 12 February 2013 10:07 AM

daveparry1

Another common problem is the low water pressure sensor switch device athough when this goes faulty the low pressure light comes on, water flows but no heat as far as I remember. It is a common fault, a little piece of plastic either breaks off or becomes deformed and actuates the switch even though the water pressure is ok,

Dave.
 12 February 2013 10:37 AM

Parsley

I think the RCD requirement came in with the 17th, there was no requirement in the 16th edition Amd 2 2004 for water heaters in zone 1 601-09-02.

Regards
 12 February 2013 11:24 AM

goldenboy1818

For a new solenoid with valve which apparently triton do as one unit is £50. Think may as well get a new shower for that, and see if the client will let me put a shower board in place, just hope there is bonding in place next there's no way I'd put a new shower in without rcd protection even if it is like for like
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.