IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Why do mice\rats chew cable.What is best method of prevention.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 February 2013 09:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 February 2013 09:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evening all,
What draws vermin to chew on twin and earth and alarm and phone cable.
What is the most effective preventative method any of you have used especially when there are anumber of cables grouped together.
Regards
Antric
 07 February 2013 09:35 PM

AJJewsbury

I was told they like the texture of the PVC to sharpen their teeth on - so they're not really bothered that it doesn't have any nutritional value or taste particularly good. A bit of steel trunking or conduit would seem like a solution - but make sure there aren't any holes - to make sure it doesn't turn into a cosy mouse nest box!

- Andy.
 07 February 2013 10:02 PM

slittle

Probably the best method is plenty of bait, however this does provide an increased risk for us sparkies if we have to work near it.

I hear the ultrasonic units work quite well too.

Bear in mind if you are considering trunking or conduit that it needs to be done properly, a mouse will get through a hole about the size of a biro pen and as Andy has said, once in there they will spend their time chewing.

Stu
 07 February 2013 10:03 PM

eclectica

I'm not sure what draws vermin to chew on T&E cables - maybe they get bored and need some excitement

Seriously though, it is a total nightmare especially in rural areas and properties with old hollow middle stone walls set directly on the earth - as soon as the weather turns cold, in come the mice.

Trying to block up any entrance holes from outside is obviously the first thing, and then bait around the outside of the house (bait safely contained in rat bait boxes), followed up by a barrage of traps inside the loft spaces and anywhere they run set with chocolate spread and peanuts (don't get any chocolate spread on the cables!!).

Red bromadiolone baits seem to work well all round (especially where there is resistance to poison), but sometimes are rejected by mice, so be prepared to use the blue difenacoum baits if there is not much take. Keep monitoring the take of bait and replace when necessary especially as a cold snap sets in.

Sounds a bit morose but, hopefully any mice that do come in die before doing any serious damage.

Ensuring internal holes are properly filled where services run between loft spaces etc. is always good practice, but often neglected.
Because a favourite trick for rats especially, is to open up holes where any services run if there is any air leakage between the areas. Cables, and plastic water/heating pipes, are easier to chew than building materials generally, and soon there are stripped cables or pin-prick leaks to contend with.

Hope this helps!

-------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The meaning of life is a blank sheet; write on it wisely. ~ M.Cutler.
 07 February 2013 10:19 PM

stateit

Out in the sticks here I've noticed one reason rodents chew cables:

The cables are in the way.

If it's going through a hole in a joist, they'll want to get through that hole and gnaw the obstruction away.

They'll happily run across cables pinned to the top of joists without stopping and nibbling.

They'll happily run across cables layed over insulation without stopping and nibbling.

You can tell where they run over them by the 'mouse/rat grease' they leave over the cables.

As for rodents needing to gnaw to keep their teeth down: That's very true, but they'd much rather gnaw on a piece of wood or similar.

If you see a cable gnawed that's not through a joist it'll be because it interferes with their otherwise straightforward run. Think a loop of cable sticking up,

As you can tell, I've given it much thought: I come across it on a weekly basis on my beat.

They certainly don't chew cable for the sake of it - only if it's in their way or an intruding on 'their' run.

And you can bait and block holes as much as you want...

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 07 February 2013 10:29 PM

slittle

Yes, I'd agree. There tend to nibble to get past things but I have opened trunking where they've nest built and pretty much everything is stripped in there.

The other option to keep the little beast at bay is to leave a few live wires about that they can contact

Stu
 07 February 2013 10:33 PM

stateit

I've previously posted here a link to a piccy of a Wylex 3036 board with 2 fried mice in it...

At least it was good being able to show the customer the reason for their problems!

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 07 February 2013 10:45 PM

slittle

I've got loads of pics like that.

I took the lid off a board and length of trunking on a farm last year. We counted about 30 in there including babies... Needless to say they were asked to leave.

Stu
 08 February 2013 12:00 AM

Dave69

The PVC makes great bedding for them.

Remember that the new regs will say that trunking must not have more than a 1mm gap in lids, etc.
 08 February 2013 07:31 AM

dbullard

I get a few every year,

Found them in flush plastered in light switches with flat channel, the good old round J'B curled around the L&N terminals when side by side, again in wylex boards, etc etc.

I haven't yet found any on newer jobs, i'e with newer colour cables and they have been in a few years now.

I also used get a fair bit of squirrel damage on one site, but when I re -wired it a couple of years ago moved everything inside the unit mounted in tube on the ceiling, no trouble after that apart from "rat" damage to the main equipotential bonds to the incoming oil line.

Regards

Daren

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 08 February 2013 08:21 AM

broadgage

Yes, well installed steel trunking or conduit is the way to deter rodent damage.

And as for WHY the pests chew cables, one theory is that these days a lot of food is stored in plastic containers, and that rats have learnt that by chewing through plastic that food might be found.

I dont remember rats chewing the old rubber twin or or twin with earth cables, and food is not often stored in rubber containers, so it sounds possible.
 08 February 2013 11:31 AM

patt2

I agree with stateit that it is mainly because the cables are in the way.

They seem to love pipe insulation though , and the neoprene type insulation they use in some cars.
I had a really badly mice infested bungalow loft where every accessible pipe had been completely stripped of insulation, but the alarm cables and T +E had not been touched.

I used two sonic devices and they cured the problem .
 08 February 2013 03:10 PM

rocknroll

Unlike human beings the front teeth of rodents grow throughout their life, hence to trim them they chew soft materials like PE & PVC cables, wires, pipes, allied polymer products, to keep their teeth within size.

For sometime now the major manufacturers of pvc building products pipes, containment systems and cables have been adding non-harmful chemicals to the mix such as one of the denatonium compounds to eliminate the damage caused by rodents and hole boring insects.

Wood is also treated in the same way although that is an injection process, rodents gnaw at wood although the main concern here is anobium punctatum (woodworm).

There are also brush on non-harmful coatings if you have a problem

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 09 February 2013 at 12:05 AM by rocknroll
 08 February 2013 03:14 PM

OMS

And of course, there's always that bloody cat - but then you have the dillema of opening the box -

OMS

Failure is always an option
 08 February 2013 03:22 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: OMS

And of course, there's always that bloody cat - but then you have the dillema of opening the box -

OMS

Thats right, send the cat in we have to maintain the balance.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.