Increase font size
Topic Title: Socket Outlets near Water Sources
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 February 2013 02:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 February 2013 02:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pjatkin

Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance, I haven't been on the tools for about 20 years and my last certification was with the 16th Edition..

I've also researched the interweb and found conflicting info, so I thought I'd come here and get it from the "horses mouth"..

We have a metal water fountain arrangements throughout our office which has two taps (fizzy and non-fizzy water). This arrangement also has a stainless drip tray below to catch any drops.

I believe there are two issues here (to which the local office management group disagree):
1. The fountain and socket-outlet are only 110mm apart
2. There is no equipotential bonding on the fountain or drip tray (connected by plastic pipes)

Could someone please let me know if this is still legal/acceptable, and if not, which rules apply.

Thanks in advance

PeteA
 07 February 2013 03:05 PM

AJJewsbury

2. There is no equipotential bonding on the fountain or drip tray (connected by plastic pipes)

Unless the drip tray can introduce a potential from outside the installation (e.g. true earth), it doesn't meet the definition of an extraneous-onductive-part, so doesn't require bonding. If it's not likely to become live due to a fault (e.g. failure of basic insulation), then it's not an exposed-conductive-part so doesn't require earthing either.

1. The fountain and socket-outlet are only 110mm apart

There aren't any hard-and-fast rules (unlike for bathrooms etc), just a vague 'suitable for the conditions' requirement. Are the sockets getting splashed? The guidance for kitchen sinks (which may or may not be comparable) is I think 300mm horizontally from sink/drainer, but that is only guidance.

- Andy.
 07 February 2013 05:13 PM

AJJewsbury

This article - http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/pdfs/earthbonding.pdf - originally published by the IET (IEE), explains the theory for not bonding isolated metalwork pretty well. It's based on the 16th rather than current regs, so is a bit out of date in some regs details (e.g. the requirements for supplementary bonding in bathrooms), but the underlying theory is still sound.
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.