Increase font size
Topic Title: Common house brasher scaremongering tactics
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04 February 2013 08:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 February 2013 08:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamieblatant

I use twitter a bit for work and I am getting highly annoyed with the amount of house bashes using words like banned and illegal to refrence things like junction boxes that are floating or wlyex rewritable fuses

Sure maybe in unsafe or requires improvement but illegal

Is this a omron scare tactic to get people to part with there money ???

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 04 February 2013 09:12 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

Sure.
But have you never seen the leaflets from electricity, gas and water suppliers warning us of all the terrible things that can go wrong with our installations.
And by the way, we have this insurance policy to take all the worry away from you; it's just a few hundred quid a year.
 05 February 2013 04:05 PM

BigRed

Yes, it's just a shame that they don't warn you that someone doing the work may be "part p qualified" Bloody scary.......
 05 February 2013 06:38 PM

welchyboy

Ha! ^^ your not wrong
 05 February 2013 07:40 PM

peteTLM

Sometimes simple people need to hear simple terms.
Sometimes its the simple people using the simple terms.

If you see a birds nest under a customers floor, no one is going to explain the finer terms of BS7671 to a customer regarding regulations,reliability, broken rings etc (mainly because half the electricians have never seen a book since falling out of college years ago) . Its simpler to say its not allowed/ not desirable. Personally i wouldnt use illegal or any other scary words unless the situation deserved it.- like going to a complete idiots house and them telling me that they are going to do DIY garden lighting/ power etc.

Edited to say: what ever we do as a profession, to have someones pants down properly, you need to be a double glazing salesman or an estate agent.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 05 February 2013 11:55 PM

spinlondon

Apparently, from April, holding the 2382 will no longer be sufficient to be registered on a competent persons scheme.
You will also require the NVQ3, or some form of BS7671 inspection and testing qualification.
Those that have already applied, but are not due to be assessed untill after the deadline, do not have to worry, they will still be allowed to register under the old rules, with just the 2382.
 06 February 2013 06:39 AM

normcall

Don't worry, an outfit called the Electricity Safety Council has issued a press release reminding the public that it's against the law for anyone other than a registered electrician to carry out ant electrical work and you may have to notify your local Building Control.

I'm still waiting to hear which law I'm breaking on a daily basis (other than parking on the public highway, of course). Maybe because I'm not registered, I don't exist, so can't ask the question or deserve an answer.

Norman
 06 February 2013 08:37 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

Sure.

But have you never seen the leaflets from electricity, gas and water suppliers warning us of all the terrible things that can go wrong with our installations.

And by the way, we have this insurance policy to take all the worry away from you; it's just a few hundred quid a year.

Indeed you do - BUT - if you read the insurance details it will state quite clearly - 'this is not for poor workmanship' in other words, dont take a chance and think that something that you have done / fitted should be 'ok' - just make sure you abide by the regs and then you'll sleep better unless you're a limited company then you can do what you want - hahaha!

regards... Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 06 February 2013 08:46 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: spinlondon

Apparently, from April, holding the 2382 will no longer be sufficient to be registered on a competent persons scheme.

You will also require the NVQ3, or some form of BS7671 inspection and testing qualification.

Those that have already applied, but are not due to be assessed untill after the deadline, do not have to worry, they will still be allowed to register under the old rules, with just the 2382.

This is pure madness - so what 'they' are doing is forcing electricians out of work - again! some may have had enough of doing even MORE quals just for the sake of it! I have had enough - so there ya have it... if you want to still be registered as a 'competent' sparks get an NVQ3 or go on the dole OR wash dishes to support your family and children and ALSO to support foreign aid to countries I aint ever heard of before OR pay for illegal immigrants to stay here - etc!!

Well done to whoever thought this one up - and when will 'they' be moving the goalposts again so that these companies that run sparking quals can earn more money - cost the poor olde sparky who is trying to earn an honest crust - and so it goes on ... and on... and on!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 06 February 2013 04:28 PM

mikejumper

Too many snouts in the trough now Tom.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.