IET logo
 
IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What's happening regards the amendment of part P in Wales?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 February 2013 11:09 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 February 2013 11:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for sparkingchip.
sparkingchip

Posts: 5929
Joined: 18 January 2003

What's happening regards the amendment of part P in Wales?

Andy
 02 February 2013 11:15 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message



daveparry1

Posts: 6158
Joined: 04 July 2007

Is it likely to be different to England then Andy? The present part P covers England and Wales,

Dave.
 02 February 2013 11:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for sparkingchip.
sparkingchip

Posts: 5929
Joined: 18 January 2003

I don't think they are changing it and it will stay as it is.

Andy
 02 February 2013 11:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for sparkingchip.
sparkingchip

Posts: 5929
Joined: 18 January 2003

Go to the planning portal and use the tab in the top right corner to switch between the Welsh and English sites.

Andy
 03 February 2013 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for AncientMariner.
AncientMariner

Posts: 512
Joined: 14 December 2004

As far as I know the amendment of Part P will only apply in England; until such time as the Welsh Government decide otherwise.

There are already differences in Building Regs in Wales, ie sprinklers in new build homes from September 2013.

Re Part P, it will be interesting here in east Flintshire (Wales) where we have 01244 telephone numbers and CH post codes which already confuse UK Government departments into thinking that we are in England. The local airfield - Hawarden/EGNR - is sometimes described as Chester. Even the BBC think that Airbus make their wings for the A380 and smaller, in England; whereas the Broughton factory is in Wales (same site as the airfield in fact).

Cheers!

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 03 February 2013 05:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for weirdbeard.
weirdbeard

Posts: 1499
Joined: 26 September 2011

Originally posted by: AncientMariner


There are already differences in Building Regs in Wales, ie sprinklers in new build homes from September 2013.


Will the sprinklers include automatic shut down of electrics or will all accessories need to be suitably IP rated?
 03 February 2013 07:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for sparkingchip.
sparkingchip

Posts: 5929
Joined: 18 January 2003

So in the short term possibly separate requirements for England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales effectively four schemes in operation?

Andy
 03 February 2013 11:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



DOUGIE1000

Posts: 4163
Joined: 13 August 2005

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

So in the short term possibly separate requirements for England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales effectively four schemes in operation?



Andy


leave us Scot's out of your part P talk and discussion please. :-)

You can shove your part p and 5 day wonders

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 02 March 2013 11:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for sparkingchip.
sparkingchip

Posts: 5929
Joined: 18 January 2003

I'd expect a man with the "Welsh Dragon" as his avatar to be able to comment on this topic providing a insight into what is happening in Wales regards part P, if anything.

Regards Andy
 02 March 2013 02:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for rocknroll.
rocknroll

Posts: 8837
Joined: 03 October 2005

At a luncheon towards the end of 2012 it was announced that although the consultations and implementation of Part P 2013 only related to England the Welsh Assembly felt it was more cost effective to adopt the similar options and follow the UK standards that were already in place as this was seen as an ideal model.

As far as sprinklers are concerned this is still an ongoing issue between the assembly and the developers who are threatening to move their business to England, the issues of water pressure, stored water, two water meters and the high maintenance costs to the consumer are still going on.

I think we can safely say that having differing standards to those in England will not be welcomed. I suspect that there is a very real risk that the increased capital costs associated with these (and other) policies may make building projects in Wales less attractive to developers from a financial perspective. I would expect that this will reduce the number of new building developments that take place, particularly in those areas of Wales where building projects are already at the margin of viability. Whilst I can understand the political attractiveness behind the devolution of power the last thing the construction industry needs at the moment is varying standards across its borders.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
-------------------------
"Oh! The drama of it all."
-------------------------
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
-------------------------

Edited: 02 March 2013 at 08:46 PM by rocknroll
 03 March 2013 01:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



Phillron

Posts: 1169
Joined: 18 January 2007

Originally posted by: rocknroll

At a luncheon towards the end of 2012 it was announced that although the consultations and implementation of Part P 2013 only related to England the Welsh Assembly felt it was more cost effective to adopt the similar options and follow the UK standards that were already in place as this was seen as an ideal model.



As far as sprinklers are concerned this is still an ongoing issue between the assembly and the developers who are threatening to move their business to England, the issues of water pressure, stored water, two water meters and the high maintenance costs to the consumer are still going on.



I think we can safely say that having differing standards to those in England will not be welcomed. I suspect that there is a very real risk that the increased capital costs associated with these (and other) policies may make building projects in Wales less attractive to developers from a financial perspective. I would expect that this will reduce the number of new building developments that take place, particularly in those areas of Wales where building projects are already at the margin of viability. Whilst I can understand the political attractiveness behind the devolution of power the last thing the construction industry needs at the moment is varying standards across its borders.



regards



Interesting reply
i did in fact have communication with John Griffiths who is the minister responsible in Wales
I was sent a reply that suggested that changes in England would only be monitored

There is unlikely to be any change in building regs Part P in Wales until changes made in England are reviewed,consultation with interested parties are carried out and any decision made referred to the assembly for discussion

The Welsh assembly does not expect that any priority will be given
to review of part p
Our priority at this time is fire safety and the possible introduction of sprinkler systems for new builds

When these issues have been addressed,then changes made in England will be reviewed by the Welsh government,any interested parties will have opportunity to give opinion before any modifications of building regulations are to take place

10 years minimum I would suggest
 04 March 2013 10:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for OMS.
OMS

Posts: 19592
Joined: 23 March 2004

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

I'd expect a man with the "Welsh Dragon" as his avatar to be able to comment on this topic providing a insight into what is happening in Wales regards part P, if anything.

Regards Andy


Effectively nothing is happening Andy - WAG is monitoring what's happen across the bridge and are likley to keep "same - same" as England.

Part B and Part L are likely to alter in the sense of additional rather than different requirements.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:



FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.