Increase font size
Topic Title: zone valves 2 port
Topic Summary: colour of wires?
Created On: 02 February 2013 06:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 February 2013 06:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

Sanity check needed here.
Of the zone valve's grey and orange wire ...
What colour is the norm for permanent?
And what colour is norm for sw live?
 02 February 2013 06:47 PM

primo

Usually grey for permanent live and orange for switched.
 02 February 2013 06:49 PM

Martynduerden

Have a look at the supplied drawing for the valve / micro switch though I doubt it really matters on a two port ....

-------------------------
Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 02 February 2013 06:51 PM

primo

Originally posted by: Martynduerden

Have a look at the supplied drawing for the valve / micro switch though I doubt it really matters on a two port ....

True, but quite nice to stick to convention if you we're to come along to work on it afterwards, especially for those who wire by numbers!
 02 February 2013 07:53 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: primo

especially for those who wire by numbers!

LOL

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 03 February 2013 03:04 PM

SKElectrical

Yes i thought as much, but didnt want to lead anyone into an answer. Bit disappointing then that the Heatmiser wiring diagrams show it the other way round (as well as a few other mistakes).
Anyway I'm having a bad Sunday trying to commission Heatmiser's Netmonitor using an Apple Mac.
Does anyone know how to do this.
I'm fed up now.
 03 February 2013 03:48 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: SKElectrical

Yes i thought as much, but didnt want to lead anyone into an answer. Bit disappointing then that the Heatmiser wiring diagrams show it the other way round (as well as a few other mistakes).

Anyway I'm having a bad Sunday trying to commission Heatmiser's Netmonitor using an Apple Mac.

Does anyone know how to do this.

I'm fed up now.

Have you programmed each room stat with its own ID? The remote feature using port forwarding can be a challenge. If using BT internet and hub very easy, if using SKY I gave up trying since they don't seem to support it. It's shame Heatmiser charge so much for the unit!

03 February 2013 04:30 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: colinhaggett
Have you programmed each room stat with its own ID? The remote feature using port forwarding can be a challenge. If using BT internet and hub very easy, if using SKY I gave up trying since they don't seem to support it. It's shame Heatmiser charge so much for the unit!

Yeah they're all ID'd, all okay on the touchpad too. Only got the netmonitor on the proviso that it can be used with iphone app.
It's a virginmedia router and it had bloody better work.
 03 February 2013 05:52 PM

colinhaggett

Yet to setup port forwarding on a Virgin Media, but looks to be supported.

http://help.virginmedia.com/sy...M_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

I use dyn.com for Host service. I use it mainly for CCTV remote viewing on smart phones etc.
 03 February 2013 09:20 PM

SKElectrical

it looks beyond me at the moment, but I will have to learn it.
thanks very much for the pointer.
 04 February 2013 09:13 AM

sparkingchip

General consensus of opinion seems to be to use the orange as the switch live to match any thee port valves also used.

Andy
 04 February 2013 02:02 PM

DHourston

SKElectrical,

A bit off topic I know, but if you do need any help setting up that heatmiser let me know.

Like colinhaggett, I have experience setting it up for CCTV but the principle is the same.

Regards

Dave H
 04 February 2013 05:18 PM

SKElectrical

I called Heatmiser today but they couldn't help with Netmonitor setup with Apple Mac.
No probs i'll have to take my laptop down to align with Netmonitor and then call Virginmedia to do something with their router.

Guys what are you doing regards CCTV? How does the Netmonitor play a role? there is cctv at this address - £££ :-)
 04 February 2013 05:45 PM

AJJewsbury

Guys what are you doing regards CCTV? How does the Netmonitor play a role? there is cctv at this address

A lot of CCTV systems have facilities to be viewed over the internet - either a feature of the recorder or directly using IP cameras. If the netmonitor needs to be addressed from outside the house then you've got the same basic problem of supporting "incoming" internet connections.

It usually boils down to three problems:

1. The ADSL modem/router/firewall blocks incoming connections by default (for good security reasons) - so needs to be told to allow certain traffic through.
2. The IP addresses of devices within the home will be private to that local network (as there aren't enough global IP v4 addresses to do everything), so equipment inside the network isn't directly visible to the outside world. They way around this is to tell the router to forward certain request (on a certain port) to a particular piece of equipment on the local network (possibly on a different port).
3. The IP address if the router (it's address on the internet) usually isn't static (unless they've paid extra for a static IP) - but will change as their ISP juggles things. This means that someone on the internet can't easily aim requests at that house. The answer to that is usually dynamic DNS - a third party (with a static IP address) periodically gets told what your IP address is and will pass that on to anyone who's interested (usually using the traditional internet name to number (DNS) system).

- Andy.
 04 February 2013 06:19 PM

SKElectrical

How would you setup the CCTV to Netmonitor?
 05 February 2013 07:50 AM

DHourston

"How would you setup the CCTV to Netmonitor?"

You wouldn't, two separate systems. As Andy says though, the same basic principle applies to allow connection from the outside world (internet).

I had a scan through the netmonitor install guide and it fails to explain this.

The domestic router provides a LAN (local area network) and assigns IP addresses, usually 192.168.1.###. These are private addresses. To access and be accessed from the the internet you need to know the IP address assigned on the WAN (wide area network). As this is basically the world wide web it is assigned by others and changes regularly. So first thing is to find a consistent way of accessing the router from WAN, this is done by service providers such as http://dyn.com/. As the domestic LAN probably has multiple devices (couple of laptops, printer, sky TV etc), the router needs to be told which device you are accessing, this is done by giving your device a static IP and forwarding the relevant ports (this bit is covered by the netmonitor guide).

I pulled my hair out for a week setting it up but through it gained a resonable understanding...good luck, and if you get stuck let us know.

Regards

Dave H
 09 February 2013 02:06 PM

SKElectrical

okay f*** this.
site address is in Manchester.
Who wants to come set it up?
£££
 10 February 2013 07:39 AM

DHourston

SKElectrical,

What stage are you at? As I said if it's a network set up issue I am happy to walk you through it.

Regards

Dave H
 10 February 2013 11:35 PM

SKElectrical

Yes it is a network issue.
First and foremost I am using windows 8 so the instructions aren't an exact match. Furthermore, I suspect there are some type errors with IP addresses.
I managed to get it working on 2 iphones and an android phone, but it has to be said the connectivity (wifi) was pretty appalling, and I note there are plenty of complaints on the web about this.
I will give heatmiser a call this week.
And il contact you after that. Thanks.
(its hard wasting a Saturday)
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.