Increase font size
Topic Title: Power line adapters
Topic Summary: BT advise client to call electrician
Created On: 02 February 2013 02:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 February 2013 02:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

esspeegee

Any feedback would be most welcome
Customer has BT powerline adapters so that TV can be watched in all rooms using an adapter and an ethernet cable (this is new to me!)

He had a couple of sockets added to a ring final and since then (he claims) he's been unable to get a TV picture in one room where he used to (not the room the sockets where added) Its fine everywhere else but this one room. BT came and inspected everything, shrugged their shoulders and told him to get an electrician.

The sockets in the room referred to are live so I don't really know what to look for. The property is less then 10 years old and at first glance everything is in very good order.

Any direction on how I should proceed with this would be most welcome

Thanks
 02 February 2013 05:55 PM

sparkiemike

There numerous devices on the market that do this, I have one from Develo. They are not 100% reliable and can be a pain to setup.

I am surprised to hear BT are involved.

He may need re-pair the devices, I would start by trying to get the devices to work next to each other i.e. plug both of them into the same double socket, this will prove if the devices are working and if he needs the services of an Computer guru or electrician.
 02 February 2013 11:05 PM

ectophile

BT regularly supply these ethernet-over-mains adaptors as part of the BT Vision system.

Does "unable to get a TV picture" mean
a) One TV can't pick up a normal TV signal any more, or
b) There's one place in the house where the BT Vision system doesn't work?

If it's (a), then it could be the interference injected into the mains by the adaptors causing the problem. These units aren't popular with ham radio enthusiasts because of the broad-spectrum signal they send through the house wiring. Much of this can leak out into the surrounding space.

If it's (b) then the sockets are probably on different rings. The signal strength, and hence the speed attainable through the adaptors, depends greatly on how the house is wired. If they are on different consumer units, or different phases, then there's little chance of it working.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 03 February 2013 10:05 AM

esspeegee

Thanks for the feedback. Its b). However before the ring was extended he claims it worked fine. The ring that was extended was in another part of the house and was to two new socket outlets, adding about 5m to the circuit length. I don't believe that can have anything to do with it, but the customer seems to think it could be. I'm at a loss to know where to start
 03 February 2013 02:49 PM

Frankmul

can you disconnect the extension and see if it starts working again. that might rule out the BT units.
 03 February 2013 04:55 PM

ArthurHall

Has ring continuity been checked since the sockets were added?
 04 February 2013 07:15 PM

M.Joshi

Some of the manufacturers claim that the HomePlugs don't work too well with extension leads. Surge protected extension sockets are also known to cause a problem too. They advise plugging them directly into the socket on the wall. Are the two HomePlugs connected to circuits on the same RCD (RCCB)?

-------------------------
M.I.E.T - Forfeited this due to The I.E.T's ridiculous membership rules!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.