Increase font size
Topic Title: NICEIC Tech talk
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 February 2013 12:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 February 2013 12:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

peteTLM

After some recent exposure to a similar format (was it esc?) event at Elex, with its mind blowing level of questions ,
and having been to the west ham freebie last year, i have to ask, does anyone actually learn anything at these things?

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 02 February 2013 09:32 AM

John Peckham

Yes. It does confirm my suspicions about the technical expertise of the industry when I listen to some of the questions from the audience.

How Tony Cable keeps a straight face when he hears some of the questions or resists saying something more direct is worthy of an award.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 02 February 2013 09:43 AM

daveparry1

A bit like some of the questions asked here John?

Dave.
 02 February 2013 12:04 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: John Peckham

Yes. It does confirm my suspicions about the technical expertise of the industry when I listen to some of the questions from the audience.

How Tony Cable keeps a straight face when he hears some of the questions or resists saying something more direct is worthy of an award.

Well, I can understand why people ask, what may appear to others, as being daft questions.
When you think of the type of work some of these apprentices/Journeymen have to do on a daily basis, house bashing for the most informative years of training for instance.
It could also be leveled at the training colleges where the hours are being continually cut as with the range of experience with different systems in order to fulfill the training time scales and profit margins.
Bench fitting has almost become a mornings theory class.

There is, of course, the other side of the coin which is likely to be the lack of interest with some individuals in actually doing anything that might require joined up thinking. As someone stated a while back., 'take 100 electricians and only 2 will have the ability or interest to develop into engineers'

Its also a 'know fact' that only 5% of the population have the ability to conceptualize which would make them fit for an Oxbridge education ........ but then they don't teach Electrical Installation there.....

I could go on but we all know it makes not one iota of difference.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 03 February 2013 12:31 AM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: John Peckham

I have never seen Tony Cable talk about anything technical whatsoever, though he does wax lyrical about the adiabatic - hardly technical!

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 03 February 2013 09:20 AM

dg66

recently saw an NIC video clip on EICRs, and Tony Cable and his sidekick were explaining that if you come across an MCB that has a rating higher than the current carrying capacity of the cable connected to it ,a code 2 should be recorded. The NIC obviously dont recognise Reg 433.3.1(ii)

Regards

Dave(not Cockburn)
 03 February 2013 12:06 PM

OMS

Saucers of milk, chaps ?

No such thing as a stupid question, and people don't know what they don't know - if they recognise that and then ask for help, what's the drama.

I don't know Mr Cable, but I expect he answers with the same intent that many on here do - in a spirit of passing on knowledge to those who may be unfortunate not to have had the same experiences and opportunities - keeping his private thoughts just that.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 03 February 2013 08:50 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: OMS

Saucers of milk, chaps ?

No such thing as a stupid question, and people don't know what they don't know - if they recognise that and then ask for help, what's the drama.

I don't know Mr Cable, but I expect he answers with the same intent that many on here do - in a spirit of passing on knowledge to those who may be unfortunate not to have had the same experiences and opportunities - keeping his private thoughts just that.

Regards

OMS

OM(kofi annan) S

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.