IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Part P notifications after April
Topic Summary: Whats a 3rd party registered certifier?
Created On: 31 January 2013 09:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 January 2013 09:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

weirdbeard

Hi all, just wondered if anyone knows what the above is and how it differs from being a registered competent person?

Thanks
 31 January 2013 09:22 PM

sparkingchip

Good question, let us know when you have a answer!

Andy
 31 January 2013 09:59 PM

welchyboy

Probably means another load of ££££ to the Nic every year and another assessment
 31 January 2013 10:05 PM

sparkingchip

Possibly a career progression similar to becoming a Home Inspector to produce reports for Home Information Packs, perhaps if you don't make it as a third party electrical inspector you will be able to progress to being a Green Deal Assessor.
 31 January 2013 10:18 PM

weirdbeard

Thanks for the replies,

I do try my best to keep abreast of the latest issues, but I must say I am a bit flummoxed lately as to what is going on!

There are changes to the schemes coming in soon meaning new registered competent persons will need an NVQ3, and the insurance backed warranties will be mandatory for every notifiable job, rather than an optional extra, and the schemes need to become UKAS accredited?

Then this new part p comes out and slashes the number of notifiable works, and introduces a new method of notification via a 3rd party registered certifiier, but no-one knows what one is with only 3 months to get joined up!

Yours, Confused!
 31 January 2013 10:32 PM

sparkingchip

I had my NAPIT assessment last week and that was to UKAS, all my notifications have been insurance backed since the start of part P and I get grand dad rights on the NVQ.

This afternoon I phoned the NAPIT accounts dept. with my details to pay the best part of five hundred quid for the next twelve months including Trustmark, so hey! what's a bit more time, money and effort to become a third party inspector! The question is will it be worthwhile?

Andy
 31 January 2013 10:52 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

I had a letter from niceic several years ago stating UKAS approval,

Dave.
 01 February 2013 03:10 PM

whjohnson

My understanding is that a 3rd party inspector is someone already registered with a scam, who will be enabled sign off a non-registered person's work.
So, if I do a complete rewire, I can get my NIC mate to notify it and sign it off for a 'consideration'.

Much cheaper than registering myself.

I really don't think it's any more complex than that.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 01 February 2013 03:42 PM

shrek

its all gone mad id say even laughable lol you couldnt make this up
 01 February 2013 03:52 PM

sparkingchip

We'll be back to the days of former electricians who have become pub landlords writing certification out for their customers as used to happen around here. Going back twenty years or so my now deceased father in law was a builder who used a electrician who got all his certification from a local pub landlord who never went near the jobs the certificates were for, a extended qualified supervisor system!

Andy
 02 February 2013 09:07 AM

ady1

Oh dear oh dear !
I apologise if this has been said before......
My assessment was yesterday.
My assessor told me that from April. Any tom dick or harry can do electrical installations, finish and juice it up then simply pay for a registered spark to supply an EICR.

Regards
Ady

Resistance is futile.
 02 February 2013 05:50 PM

ady1

So the old dear gets in a builder that overseeing the whole extention.
He thinks - my mate Bob can sort that, I'll get him the gear (because my builders merchant sell all the electrical stuff too now and give me massive discounts) and he will cost me peanuts. Then I'll pay £40 to get that proper sparky in that's registered and he can do that EICR thingy !!
It just gets better ...

Resistance is futile.
 02 February 2013 06:00 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

For years there was little or no control over people carrying out electrical work then came Part P, which wasn't perfect but was a step in the right direction (although a lot of supposedly experienced electricians moaned about it!) and now they've watered it down so that kitchen fitters and plumbers can do what they like in kitchens, will it be bathrooms next?

Dave.
 02 February 2013 06:03 PM

welchyboy

So basically the local part p kitchenfitter will be making a mint, signing off all his mates jobs when he barely knows what he'S looking at himself, what's the point?!

Or will you have to be assessed on eicrs

This is all getting a bit silly now

Edited: 02 February 2013 at 09:30 PM by welchyboy
 02 February 2013 06:12 PM

ady1

No Welchy - Its worse than that...
Anyone - Not even registered can do do that kitchen. Then someone registered comes in and does a EICR to prove its all well and good !!!

Ady

Resistance is futile.
 02 February 2013 09:12 PM

Zoro

Well the Schemes have told DCLG that it is safe for short course people to carry out electrical installation work.

They have also told them it is safe to have just one Competent person per Company/Enterprise.

So is it any wonder that the next stage of screwing up our trade in the name of Scheme Profit, is that anyone can carry out electrical installation work as long as it is tested.

So DCLG have bought into this idea of a £80 quick test on completion is safe.

Well if it is OK for Schemes to con the public that that they are Competent Person Schemes when they are actually Competent Enterprise Schemes, what's the problem!

Bob the builder, Larry the Landscape Gardener, or Ken the Kitchen company, can now just budget just a few pounds for a quick visual and test, on a EICR.

Before anyone points out this would not comply with BS7671, neither does the definition of Competent Person, so who cares.

We could have a new Schemes to join, new courses, new van stickers.

It's all about money not safety.
 02 February 2013 09:31 PM

welchyboy

And there's me worrying about things like not having a torque screwdriver for my next inspection lol!
 02 February 2013 09:36 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: ady1

No Welchy - Its worse than that...

Anyone - Not even registered can do do that kitchen. Then someone registered comes in and does a EICR to prove its all well and good !!!

Ady

And who will do those EICR's I wonder!

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 02 February 2013 09:46 PM

welchyboy

That's what I meant it'll be the kitchen fitter no doubt, term blind leading the blind comes to mind
 02 February 2013 10:00 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: welchyboy

That's what I meant it'll be the kitchen fitter no doubt, term blind leading the blind comes to mind

Electrics are generally rubbish in quality and substance BUT then again no one really dies so there's no need for stringent regulation...

Stick to what you do, keep your standards high, don't drop your prices, don't do EICR's / PIR's / EIC's for crap electricians

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
IET » Wiring and the regulations » New Part P notifications after April

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.