Increase font size
Topic Title: Loop in on kitchen sockets
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 January 2013 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 January 2013 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chunk522

Classic this one as Ive never come across it
Quick story short, I had a call from a guy asking for a second fix on a kitchen as the first fix had already been done and the kitchens fitted.
Ok wheres the person who had done the first fix? apparently he had emigrated to Australia
So I agreed to nip and take a look as it wasnt far from where I was working,any way I got there the first thing I noticed was 3 x 4mm cables to each appliance socket and only 2x4mm at the worktop sockets
I asked the house owner if he knew what the electrician had done he replied with yes hes run a 4mm radial around the kitchen and looped back to a grid switch in a cupboard with the appliacnce sockets
I was thinking what the hell is he talking about after taking a closer look he had actually wired the circuit the same as a loop in lighting circuit, from the worktop socket down to the appliance socket then a switch wire back to the grid and a feed out to the next socket
You thought on this one
 30 January 2013 09:49 PM

DOUGIE1000

Haha, Google luck getting 3 4mm into the sockets.

Rewire!!

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 30 January 2013 10:02 PM

daveparry1

No wonder he's b***ered off to Australia!
 30 January 2013 10:11 PM

primo

Brilliant! Did you manage to hide you smirk when you heard the electrician had 'emigrated to Australia'?!

How about getting a new feed to the grid switch then using connectors (Wagos or choc) to deal with the loop inside the grid to each switch and/or fuse and connecting the original radial inside the appliance flex outlet/ socket to maintain continuity of the socket radial but without using it to feed the appliances...and charge the customer a healthy premium for using an electrician that can't take the British winter?!
 30 January 2013 10:47 PM

primo

Or just forget about the grid switch and use a socket outlet for the appliances using the 4mm radial.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.