Increase font size
Topic Title: So many hoops!
Topic Summary: Bathroom fan in loft
Created On: 29 January 2013 04:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 January 2013 04:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DR2366

Customer wants a bathroom in line fan in the loft with a separate pull switch on the bathroom ceiling.

The loft lighting supply which is the most convienient place to supply the fan from and the lighting circuits aren't RCD protected. No supplementary bonding within the bathroom location is visible either

It seems its going to be an expensive fan for the sake of a ceiling pull switch outside of the zones to comply with 701.415.2 & 701.411.3.3

Anyone suggest and alternative solution?

Thanks
 29 January 2013 04:50 PM

BrucieBonus

why not just RCD the lighting/fan circuit at the board? Either with RCBO or RCD fused connection unit. Not THAT expensive!
 29 January 2013 05:02 PM

OMS

or a RCD fused spur just for the bit of the circuit you need - ie come from the loft light, fit a 13A RCD fused spur above the bathroom door and supply the fan (and pull switch control from that). For added value you could feed that bit of the bathroom lighting circuit from it as well.

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 29 January 2013 05:09 PM

AJJewsbury

Anyone suggest and alternative solution?

Mount pull switch in the loft, drill a small hole in the ceiling and just drop the string through into the bathroom?

(well, you did ask for "alternative" solutions )
- Andy.
 29 January 2013 08:36 PM

mark2spark

I'm just reading the new AD 2013... it seems that the pull switch will now be deemed outside of the special location (and zone)?

http://www.planningportal.gov..../BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

So non-notifiable I mean. It doesn't solve the RCD problem. I'd fit an RCD FCU on the circuit.

-------------------------
I am prone to talking complete bol***ks at times, please accept my apologies in advance.
 29 January 2013 08:42 PM

DR2366

The issue isn't how to comply with the regulations but that the fact that they are applicable for the sake of a ceiling pull cord in a location containing a bath/shower.

If the pull cord switch is outside of the bathroom and the wiring in the loft is surface then there is no need to bond or provide an RCD I assume?

Thats a cheaper solution!
 29 January 2013 08:46 PM

daveparry1

I done a similar job last week, not a pull switch but a bathroom fan with timer from bathroom light. No rcd on lighting side of board so I put a fused spur next to the c/unit fed from a socket circuit mcb and fed fan and bathroom light from that, so that was fused spur for the fan and rcd for fan and light! It was in a bungalow so quite an easy job,

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.