Increase font size
Topic Title: Reasons for membership
Topic Summary: scheme providers
Created On: 29 January 2013 10:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 January 2013 10:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

shrek

what is your reason for being with your scheme providers ? is it because you get good value for money and good advice with the service they provide or is it because a lot of your work requires you to be with a certain scheme. What im trying to get at is it just the neccesity to sign off work or do you genuinly feel it is really valuable to your business. do you think they are doing enough to help you? and im not trying to cause an argument about napit being better than niceic and vice versa
 29 January 2013 10:28 AM

vesuvius

I don't work for myself now and never have, though I have worked with many contractors who were a member of such schemes. At the risk of getting flamed I'm going to go out on a limb here. Speaking to a lot of contractors who I would consider friends their general consensus; at least where I reside is that they only join the schemes as an aid to gain contracts. Is this my personal opinion? I'll have to sit on the fence for that.

I can of course see the weight behind them trying to drive the industry forward and improve standards right across the board. I do though feel that the common 'workingman' so to speak may feel he's not getting as much out as he's putting in.
 29 January 2013 12:08 PM

Martynduerden

None of the schemes offer anything to business other than cash depletion, they are simply there to line their pockets.

Membership is not really optional, if you wish to trade you will eventually join the bad guys.

-------------------------
Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 29 January 2013 12:47 PM

OMS

Membership is not really optional, if you wish to trade you will eventually join the bad guys.

LoL - a bit like building control fees I guess Martyn -

regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 29 January 2013 01:00 PM

mark2spark

I joined Elecsa in the end after resisting for a couple of years, mainly because I was fed up with different BC officers from different districts not having a clue what the Law said on the matter.
I.E. that a Building notice or a full plans app on a house extension *included* the fee for inspecting the electrics.
That's if it was even a notifiable work in the first place.
So I did it to keep the peace.
After 3 years The BC officers's have changed the regs regarding fees and are more up to speed on the matter, so there's no need for me to be a member any more. And a good few hundred quid a year stays in my pocket.

But I have to concede that it was quite contenting whilst registered to know that you could just notify it if you was in doubt and that was the end of the subject.

I am prone to talking complete bol***ks at times, please accept my apologies in advance.
 29 January 2013 01:04 PM

shrek

this is what im getting at , when i was approved with the niceic i never felt they were bothered about the core values and the reasons why they were set up, it all became about expensive courses and the online shop, i know as a business you need to diversify but i feel they are forgetting the exactly what they are there for .
 29 January 2013 01:07 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: OMS

LoL - a bit like building control fees I guess Martyn -

regards

OMS

Yes quite - more organised crime.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 29 January 2013 01:21 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

You need to forget about the forum politics and who sports the biggest member, this is purely a business decision you must make on your own, for a small investment what are the benefits it will bring you and your clients if you are registered.

On the domestic scene it gives you the advantage of saving your client money on fees for notifiable work.

On the commercial scene it could open pathways that are not available to you as a non-member.

There are a couple of benefits for you to consider already.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 29 January 2013 05:02 PM

BrucieBonus

I went with NICEIC as they are likely to be the only one that any customer has heard of.

Couldn't be bothered with the LA notification route (my LA is completely useless).

I like the fact I can just quickly notify on line. I add a part P fee (varying between £5 and £20) onto jobs that are notifiable as a way of clawing some £ back. In fact I might even be making a bit on that!!

As for the other benefits of NICEIC membership - well I'm not info golf and they very rarely hold any events in London (where I'm based) so I'd say none

Although - I've had some good discussions with my assessors in the past and I did actually phone up the technical line once...
 29 January 2013 06:43 PM

daveparry1

My reasons are the same as Bruce's, easy notification and not having to deal with BC, such a simple process, do the job, notify on-line and that's it! I do around 25 notifiable jobs per year so the cost to me per job, taking into account yearly niceic fees is under twenty quid, easily absorbed into the job so really worth it just for the convenience,

Dave.
 30 January 2013 09:38 AM

shrek

brucie that really did annoy me with the niceic when they had a golf days usinga 2 page spread in profesional electrician when times were tough. i always thought that could spend that money making the public more aware of electrical standards thats when i lost all respect for the scheme providers
 30 January 2013 06:37 PM

BrucieBonus

yes, I did suggest to Emma Clancy that they organise some spa days for the female (or indeed any other members of the NIC) didn't go down very well.....

BB (aka Donna)
 30 January 2013 09:49 PM

psychicwarrior

Originally posted by: daveparry1

My reasons are the same as Bruce's, easy notification and not having to deal with BC, such a simple process, do the job, notify on-line and that's it! .......

Dave.

yes, but it ought not to be the reason... this is just another reason of why i think it ALL needs cleaning up. if a 'body' is required, then let it be one body, not for profit - perhaps publicly owned [dont shout at me] if privately run and definitely not as it is now, in being a market full of schemes, vying for your interest and business (and cash) and taking even amongst themselves a different approach and stance - worst of all..... a situation where one of my acquaintances in this electrical industry lost out on a contract by being in NAPIT and not in NIC! Outrageous on every level dare I say. And also an advert in the local press where the NIC was described as "the electrical industry's main authority" or something like. Deary me.

Come on, i dont mind having one professional body to join up with that cares about its members and standards etc, but this whole BC problem and costs, Part P, various Comp Person schemes etc, is not the ticket.

However, review after review wont change it because there are too many big-wigs with a vested interest to let it change. Even the latest review doesn't seem to have changed a lot - perhaps made it worse.

In the end, perhaps joining [one of] them IS the only way to go to - be in the club rather than out if you want to work. What a shame.

I haven't heard a good argument to keep it like it is and to get me to change my mind.... I sincerely think the way I do! Its a poor situation - but perhaps better than none I may concede :-)
Peace.

Edited: 30 January 2013 at 10:00 PM by psychicwarrior
 31 January 2013 10:19 AM

shrek

as you say warrior it should be one body non profit dedicated to public awareness the trouble is the goverment changes the goal posts look at the gas corgi was in my eyes so recognised by the public and then along comes a change. its the same with them forever chainging the qualifications and exams i dont even know what are the right courses, unfortunatley its all about bums on seats the goverments create the problems and then have consultants reviewing it to find the answer. If it isnt broken dont fix it but i suppose all theses so called experts have to justify their positions.
 31 January 2013 10:41 AM

dbullard

Not been on here folks for what seems like a decade.

I had been a DI via the NICEIC for 5 years now, and have just become full-scope (last Wednesday), I went that route at the start as like many have said the LA's are as much use as a chocolate fire guard ........ and now almost of my is non DI based so it made business sense for me to upgrade and hopefully reap some of the benefits associated with being a "Full-scope" member.

Money wise, they have no interest in you or your business unless you "right royally cock up" or display their logo in a non conforming way as I discovered whilst ferrying my area engineer around and he was taking snap shots of another contractors van in front of me

I had no objections in the beginning to joining the scheme as I was at the time doing board changes and kitchens at a rate of 3 a week so I recouped the initial investment quite quickly.

Hope It Helps

Regards

Daren

..... Dont pee in my pocket and tell me its raining ......

www.quest-electrical-sw.co.uk
 04 February 2013 07:46 PM

Approvedspark

Just signed up for elecsa last week having only being self employed since September. Haven't even done any notifiable work to date! With most of my work being in the commercial sector. So why bother you ask? A question I have asked myself. I'm certainly not expecting to get a rush of domestic work from it.. 99% of Customers have never heard of part p and the other 1% of only heard of NICEIC. Then there's the commercial clients who ask and specify that you are NICEIC.. Not even knowing why they are asking for it or understanding there are several other perfectly acceptable schemes.

So anyway I joined because I am hoping to get more domestic work and the notifying side of it is much more easier and economical.

I completely agree with the comments that there should be one scheme.. One to rule them all! And that they should be more interested in promoting electrical safety than feathering their nests!

If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.