IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Memora 2000
Topic Summary: Should the main switch trip?
Created On: 29 January 2013 10:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 January 2013 10:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

braillemaker

I have a Bernstein '90cm Range Style Cooker'. It is a 5 burner gas hob with electric fan oven.
When I turn the selector knob to a setting involving heat all the house electrics are lost. There is no visible spur outlet for the oven - just a ceiling level fused spur for the cooker hood.
At the Memora 2000 distribution box I have 4 mcbs - 2 for power, 2 for lights. No visible trips are thrown when the power goes out. I turn the oven selector knob back to off and then switch the Memora main trip off and back on again. All power is then restored.
Am I right in thinking there is a hidden current limiting capability in the Memora 2000? Why doesn't the main switch trip to give me a visible indication? (I didn't need one 'cos the lights went out but I initially assumed it was a neighbourhood power cut).
 29 January 2013 10:39 AM

OMS

From memory that consumer unit had either a double pole isolator or a double pole RCD unit - I suspect you have the latter and you have sufficient leakage to earth on that new cooker to cause a trip of the RCD.

Would be wisest to call a local electricain to look at how and what it's connected to and to determine if my suspicions are true

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 29 January 2013 11:27 AM

braillemaker

Thanks for the advice. The range cooker is about 12 years old and I am assuming that one of the elements has blown. Can't see any damage on the grill element but there will be other hidden elements. Thinking of replacing the range but was wondering if my electrical installation needs checking first or whether just to leave it to the installation guys.
 29 January 2013 02:34 PM

OMS

Depends i guess on who the installation guys are - some will understand what they are looking at, some won't have a clue.

As i said, a chat with a local spark should sort most of it out for you at modest cost.

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.