Increase font size
Topic Title: health & safety
Topic Summary: documents etc,,,
Created On: 28 January 2013 07:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 January 2013 07:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ampman

Anybody know of any documents for download for health & safety ie risk assesments

what do you one man bands use etc...

cheers
 28 January 2013 07:11 PM

daveparry1

Have a look on the niceic website Ampman.
 28 January 2013 08:07 PM

dlane

Direct from the horse's mouth

HSE Five Steps to Risk Assessment

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 28 January 2013 08:31 PM

DOUGIE1000

H&S docs, something we should discuss further on this site,

Did you know as an employer we should have abrasive wheel training if using wall chasers/grinders etc?

Dougie

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 28 January 2013 08:34 PM

daveparry1

And screwdriver and side-cutters training Dougie ?

Dave.
 28 January 2013 08:44 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: daveparry1

And screwdriver and side-cutters training Dougie ?

Dave.

Dave I sat the SSSTS course before Christmas and we SHOULD be doing 'tool box talks' on every day jobs, one of the examples was selecting the correct screwdrivers for the correct screw slot.

Dougie

28 January 2013 08:53 PM

daveparry1

It's an absolute joke Dougie, as if anyone working as an electrician wouldn't know what type of screwdriver he needs by looking at the screw head.
 28 January 2013 10:33 PM

daveparry1

I'm not really taking the pi** out of safe working procedures Dougie but I do reckon that anyone that cannot recognise the screwdriver (or most other hand-tools) he needs by about the age of 12 or so needs to spend his working life in the pen-pushing environment! I blame the education system over the past 30 years or so. By the age of about 13 at my school, which was just a secondary modern school we spent quite a lot of time in woodwork and metalwork classes, making all sorts of stuff, using drilling machines, lathes, metal shaping machines, pedestal mounted grinders/buffers etc and I can't remember anyone doing himself more of an injury than perhaps hitting his thumb with a hammer or similar! I went to a bit of a re-union there a few years ago and having a look around for old times sake i saw that our beautifuly equipped woodwork and metalwork shops had been turned into ordinary classrooms,

Dave
 28 January 2013 11:14 PM

Martynduerden

I told a labourer 7 times today not to leave nails in removed floorboards upside down on the floor! Some wimple cannot be taught untill injured.

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 29 January 2013 09:28 AM

daveparry1

That's something else that was drummed into us at about the age of 13 Martyn, I can still hear our woodwork teacher now saying "that could put a man out of work for 6 months" if he ever saw a piece of wood lying around on the floor with a nail sticking up, I think of those words to this day when I take floorboards up, even when i'm the only one around,

Dave.
 29 January 2013 10:06 AM

DOUGIE1000

Hi Davie,

The problem is if one of your electricians was using a 4mm screwdriver to remove large galv trunking lid for example and screwdriver either slipped or broke and injured his other hand then how can you prove that they employee is trained and has suitable instruction in how to do the task. This is where method statements come into play.

Its a blame industry now and tool box talks is covering our ***** cheeks.

For example: A employee of a contractor we work with did a tool box on manual handelling of moving of a AC motor in and out of vans Safely, 2 weeks later a employee attempted to to lift the motor out of back of van as his co worker was using a mobile telephone. The motor slipped and he broke his foot. He tried to sue the company for lack of training and not suitable instruction on manual lifting of this type of equipment. His employer simple showed the employee a record of all his signed attendance of the tool box talks and his signature next to the register for the power point presentation he had sat through on tool box talk for how to lift this exact motor and training on correct company procedure in how to manual handle it correctly.

The power point was no longer than 5 slide and took 5 min. These situations are becoming more and more common.

Dougie

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.