Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Help new light fitting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 January 2013 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 January 2013 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Harryinst

I am replacing an old batten lamp with a new light fitting. Other circuits are using the batten lamp holder to get there power so my dad suggested leaving the batten lamp holder's base in the loft with the circuits still being powered off it and then run a piece of T+E from the holder to the new light to give it power. I think this will work but is it safe?

Thanks in advance.
 27 January 2013 02:30 PM

OMS

Not really Harry - I doubt you have other "circuits" coming from it - more likely loop feeds to other points in the lighting system.

If you are going to go to the trouble of connecting another cable to the batten holder (I'm assuming you aren't intending some sort of plug in affair based on a plug instead of a lampholder - and how are you going to get the whole thing back up through the ceiling anyway)) then it would be as easy to reterminate the existing properly into a new luminaire.

Mention of a battenholder suggests to me "bathroom" - you'll do well to take a look at Part P of the bulding regs.

If your confidence level is low enough to agree with your Dad then perhaps you shouldn't really be having a go at this at all - find a local electrician with some recommendations behind them would be my honest advice to you.

If you do have a go at it, make a note of what is probably a single black core (hopefuly with a bit of tape on it) - this one will be live when the switch is on - don't just stuff it in with the rest of the blacks cores, it'll have a seperate terminal

and make sure that you turn off every circuit (ideally by turning off the switch on the fuse box) - you never know what the last person did there - it might be another "oh - we'll just poke this back up there" affair with all sorts of borrowed conductors.

Be careful - and get someone along if you have the slightest doubt about it - electricity dosn't care who it kills - remember that

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 27 January 2013 03:28 PM

Harryinst

thanks alot
 27 January 2013 03:35 PM

Harryinst

can i find part p of the building regs on the internet?
 27 January 2013 03:42 PM

Harryinst

its not that im not confident to disagree with him i did my NVQ level 2 in electrical a while ago so a bit rusty thought i would check with some of you more experienced people here first. thanks for your help sorting it now.
 27 January 2013 03:58 PM

OMS

OK - you'll know generally what you're about then, doing a bit makes the rust fall away - it's a bit like WD40 .

Part P will be on the internet. Just swapping out the luminaire isn't notifiable even if it's in a bathroom - I mentioned it just so you would be aware that, from an electrical standpoint, bathrooms are considered special locations because they present more risk if you get it wrong - ie wet and naked people are more susceptible to electric shock.

Suggest you do a basic check that the luminaire is generally fit for use in the bathroom environment.

stay safe

OMS

Failure is always an option
 27 January 2013 08:27 PM

sparkingchip

Assuming you can get into the loft, fit a neat and tidy junction box up there to replace the batten holder then wire the light fitting from it, ensuring that if the light fitting is within a bathroom zone it is suitable for it, If are installing an IP rated double insulated light fitting you can't go far wrong, otherwise do a bit more research, on suitability of light fittings, supplementary earth bonding and RCD's. That should keep you busy on a Sunday night reading back through your college notes!

Andy
 27 January 2013 08:45 PM

Rulland

The amount of times I've seen 'this bodge' is unbelievable, usually no earths connected or just twisted together, connections made in poxy choccy block, and all because the person changing the fitting hasn't got the slightest clue about lighting radials and a switch wire!, if you don't know electrics-don't do electrics-end of tbh.

http://s1121.beta.photobucket....html?sort=3&o=0

This was off the ring final circuit, it fed a four gang trailing socket bolted to the kitchen work surface and also an under stairs light-also found many more 'adaptions' that rendered the whole house a fire waiting to start-found today on a rewire!.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 27 January 2013 09:07 PM

slittle

Hopefully the OP will take OMS's advice and with his limited knowledge refer to his books and work it out.

However as Rulland has so nicely put it.... When we moved here, the electrics had been "done" well and truly to the point we took advice regarding legal proceedings against the vendors (post contract).

Amongst the gems where two ceiling roses pushed back into the ceiling with the twin flex feeding class one fittings. One I've managed to get above and sort properly, the second one I've "risk assessed" and will deal with when the room in question gets decorated as it's below a flat roof and going to need a hole bigger than the existing fitting to sort.

Stu
 27 January 2013 09:33 PM

Rulland

This 'rewire' had metal light fittings in every room-not one earth wire connected, or even apparent-because the circuits didn't have them, all wired in black and red rubber singles circa 1960.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 29 January 2013 12:47 PM

AJJewsbury

can i find part p of the building regs on the internet?

Try here: http://www.planningportal.gov....ns/approveddocuments/
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.