Increase font size
Topic Title: Aerial
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2013 05:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 January 2013 05:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mrcornbeef

Evening
Helping a mate sorting is tv aerial out he wanted multi points in house so ive installed a splitter in from existing aerial all decent sat grade cable he has 4 tv,s 3 of them fine with 10/10 signal and quality apart from one which pixalates it is close to mast so i suspected signal too strong and fitted a attenuator which appeared to work at first but is still pixalating . so i disconnected this tv from splitter and fitted a separate aerial in loft but signal still to strong in fact it picks up signal with just coax and a bit stripped at end in loft , any ideas seems a bit odd 1 tv playing up but i realize each tv will have different tuners in. i only have a cheepo signal meter and not an analyzer what the pro,s use
 25 January 2013 05:38 PM

slittle

Try a bigger attenuator (or two in series).

Are you actively splitting (with an amp) or passively splitting ?? If it's an amp, try attenuating the amp input, maybe there's too much in general

Stu
 25 January 2013 10:08 PM

mrcornbeef

Thanks Stu
it was on a powered amp but after the change over i guess they must of upped the strength as it got worse so i took it out and put a straight through 4 way splitter f plug type . this helped but still pixalated , so now on its own aerial independent of all splitters i tried different strength attenuators got the signal down to 75% but some channels quality is a bit random as if picking up interference .
there's me thinking this aerial lark was easy!
 25 January 2013 11:02 PM

westfield6

I said in a previous post that sparks have little or no knowledge about aerial installations and got told I was over the top. This seems to prove it. Do you have a digital meter that can measure BER etc? If not leave to a professional aerial man.
 26 January 2013 08:23 AM

mrcornbeef

Thanks for replies
as i have said only helping a friend out using a cheepo meter gives strength thats it, i have used the tv menu thats where i was getting the bit error info on . he will have to get a pro in if i can,t sort it . just seems odd all other tv,s fine from same system just one being naughty
 29 January 2013 01:02 PM

AJJewsbury

Have you tried swapping the TVs around? (just in case it's a problem with the TV rather than aerial point)
- Andy.
 29 January 2013 04:33 PM

vesuvius

Two TV aerials met on a roof, fell in love and got married.

the wedding was bad but the reception was great.
 29 January 2013 06:19 PM

mrcornbeef

Thanks for replies and joke bonus!
could get him to swap tv,s see what happens
regards
mrcornbeef
 30 January 2013 08:11 PM

M.Joshi

Is there a new 4G/LTE mobile mast nearby or line-of-sight?

When 4G/LTE mobile services become more prevalent, there will be a whole new issue to contend with.

For those affected, the mobile operators in conjunction with the government will be setting up a company that will recompense affected people with a voucher to the value of £50. This is to be used to pay for an approved aerial installer (CAI) to fit an appropriate filter into your aerial feed.

There is an interesting video produced by CAI explaining all this:

CAI 4G LTE seminar

-------------------------
M.I.E.T - Forfeited this due to The I.E.T's ridiculous membership rules!
 30 January 2013 10:47 PM

westfield6

Completely irrelevant. The current 4G from T mobile is at around 2.5GHz, no where near TV frequencies. Maybe in the future 4G will use the 800MHz band but not now.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.