Increase font size
Topic Title: Voltage reduction
Topic Summary: Thoughts please
Created On: 24 January 2013 11:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 January 2013 11:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamieblatant

http://vo4home.com/productfeatures.html

I might buy one of these via my company and trial it in my house wink

Thoughts please

Also look for the cheapskate who's had one fitted to his desperately in need of replacement distrubtion board in the case studies

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 24 January 2013 11:21 PM

Martynduerden

Not another voltage optimiser these things are a waste of time and energy, by the time you bought and had it fitted they ROI will be light years away if ever gadget for gadget sake.

Does anyone know how this affects the sine, do they introduce harmonic distortion?

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 24 January 2013 11:25 PM

jamieblatant

I know it's the manafactures jibb jab ba but you must agree most stuff is designed for 220 volts there is an interesting in ECM this month

24 January 2013 11:53 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

Also look for the cheapskate who's had one fitted to his desperately in need of replacement distrubtion board in the case studies

Jesus! thats a 1960's old MEM board.
He needs to spend some cash on that first.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 25 January 2013 12:13 AM

jamieblatant

I want it for my museum

If I was installing equipment in domestic hellholes I would not be putting pictures like tht on my website

25 January 2013 12:43 AM

alancapon

Obviously I am unable to give details at the moment, but I am aware of two companies that are in the process of taking legal action against manufacturers of similar devices, as the promised savings have not appeared. . . .

If you do a search here, you will find quite a bit about "voltage optimisers". I am personally sceptical about their savings as there is not much in the way of independant testing going on.

Regards,

Alan.
 25 January 2013 09:16 AM

broadgage

I think that these devices are a scam, and am not suprised that legal action is being taken against the vendors of them.

Electricity is sold by the KWH and in no common application can the KWH used be reduced whilst still achieving the same output.

Heaters will less power but produce less heat in exact proportion

Tungsten lamps will use less power, but give a lot less light, cost per lumen INCREASED

Flourescent and HID lamps on copper/iron ballasts will use less power but give less light, cost per lumen roughly the same.

Switched mode power supplies, including electronic lamp ballasts and inverter drives for motors will use minutely MORE power, giving increased running costs (the increase in tiny and probably not significant, but is nener the less an INCREASE)

Losses in premises wiring will be slightly increased.

The customer is paying forever for the copper and iron losses in the optimiser, which is basicly a transformer.
 25 January 2013 09:28 AM

AJJewsbury

I'd still like to know what they do to loop impedances, if as seems likely they'll increase Zs (or introduce a delay as they switch into some kind of bypass mode) then retrofitting them to installations that rely on overcurrent devices for ADS would seem rather dodgy.
- Andy.
 25 January 2013 09:31 AM

unshockable

The customer is paying forever for the copper and iron losses in the optimiser, which is basicly a transformer.

I agree. At an efficiency of 99.9% one wonders where they keep the liquid nitrogen!

Simon
 25 January 2013 09:33 AM

broadgage

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

I'd still like to know what they do to loop impedances, if as seems likely they'll increase Zs (or introduce a delay as they switch into some kind of bypass mode) then retrofitting them to installations that rely on overcurrent devices for ADS would seem rather dodgy.

- Andy.

Yes.
 27 January 2013 07:24 AM

ebee

Seems to me that we are all agreeing that at best they are almost always a waste of time and money.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 27 January 2013 11:26 AM

davidskelton1

A company selling these things had a stand at a NICEIC Tech-Talk recently and fitting them was one of the "business Opportunities" NICEIC was promoting. I challenged the salesman along the lines of broadgage above. All he could say was that they must work otherwise no one would buy them! Hardly a rigourous technical answer. I complained to NICEIC.

Regards

David
 27 January 2013 11:49 AM

colinhaggett

Hi all, this is a voltage stabiliser I installed in a house in Russia. The reason for installing it is the voltage would often drop below 190 volts due to much current demand on the network and being in a village. The lights would often dim and flicker, the router would crash and the computer killed at least one power supply! The unit works very well accept from a little noise from the auto tapper. Cost was £200 for 10KW unit which does the whole house as we are limited to a C32 amp MCB by the meter. Would recommend using in countries with unstable supplies, but wont bother in the UK unless your supply was at the high end of the voltage range.

27 January 2013 01:23 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: peteTLM

Originally posted by: jamieblatant

Jesus! thats a 1960's old MEM board.

He needs to spend some cash on that first.

I wonder how the vo thing is configured inside. Given it's a TT supply life could get really interesting with an internal fault. I bet it's got some sort of filtering in there connected between L-N-E unless it truly is just a box full of resin

Stu
 27 January 2013 08:52 PM

sparkingchip

I've just found the new button on the posting form that Colin has used!!

Andy
 27 January 2013 08:54 PM

slittle

Oh yes I didn't notice when I read the post...

Stu
 28 January 2013 12:47 AM

lesboard

These are two different units. The 'Russian' one is a constant voltage regulator which is backed up with lots of electronics. I have used similar equipment in the UK and found it to be successful where voltage falls below a desired threshold. They have a lot in common with UPSs.

Voltage optimisation (a favourite of this site) is tantmount to the miracle of perpetual motion if you believe the salesman's blurb. However there are some advantages to VO devices as they act like a choke/filter. As VO reduces voltage fridge compressors etc (some of which are designed for 220V) may be working at optimal efficiency at 220V. However the difference in power consumed by a domestic motor working at optimal efficiency and the inefficiency resulting from the extra 20V of a non-optimised voltage is minimal (approx 10% or 2W on a 220W motor). There are also inefficiencies in the transformer of the VO unit itself (2%), ie 4.4W on a 220W motor.

The above figures are rough guidelines but clearly any blurb should be read with great care.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.