Increase font size
Topic Title: part p and caravans
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 January 2013 09:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 January 2013 09:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

inamess

just a quickie do you need part p to work on caravans i come from an industrial background and am not part p qualified and if you do need it how do i go about getting 'p' QUALIFIED
 23 January 2013 09:54 AM

AJJewsbury

My understanding is part P of the building regulations doesn't apply to caravans, as they're not classed as buildings.
- Andy.
 23 January 2013 12:15 PM

spinlondon

Part P would apply if you intended installing a power point for a caravan as part of a domestic installation.
However the house holder would as far as I'm aware first have to apply for planning permission before parking their caravan in their garden.
They should when making the application, indicate that it is intended to supply power to the caravan.
 23 January 2013 12:35 PM

mark2spark

Caravan or mobile home fixed on a park?
Hmmm.
The latter becomes a 'dwelling' IMO

-------------------------
I am prone to talking complete bol***ks at times, please accept my apologies in advance.
 23 January 2013 12:58 PM

AJJewsbury

Caravan or mobile home fixed on a park?

Google found this: http://www.gov.uk/government/u..._and_Mobile_Homes.pdf

- Andy.
 23 January 2013 01:21 PM

spinlondon

Link leads to a blank page?
 23 January 2013 01:39 PM

AJJewsbury

Link leads to a blank page?

Odd. It find a .pdf for me. Try copy & pasting the URL: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/8198/930113-_Dcl_about_The_Building_Regulations_1991_-_Caravans_and_Mobile_Homes.pdf

- Andy.
 23 January 2013 04:43 PM

spinlondon

No, no joy.
Not to worry, I have very little to do with caravans and parking them on driveways etc.
 23 January 2013 04:58 PM

AJJewsbury

Just in case anyone else is having problems with that link, it looked to be a circular from the DoE to all councils. I think the relevant bits are:

The position remains that caravans, mobile homes, 'park homes' etc. which are treated as caravans within the meaning of section 29(1) of the Caravan Sites and Control Development Act 1960 (as read with section 13 of the Caravan Sites Act 1968), do not ordinarily fall within the definition of buildings in regulation 2 of the Building Regulations 1991. It is not therefore, in the Department's view, open to building control authorities to control such structures under the Building Regulations.

To further clarify this matter, the Department would like to point out that most "twin-unit" caravans (those which are delivered in two sections and bolted together on site) fall within the definition of "caravan" as referred to above.

- Andy.
 23 January 2013 08:50 PM

perspicacious

"To further clarify this matter, the Department would like to point out that most "twin-unit" caravans (those which are delivered in two sections and bolted together on site) fall within the definition of "caravan" as referred to above."

And when you mention to the owner, who has just spent £80k+, that it is a caravan, they do tend to get a bit prickly I did find when I was I&T a few of these some years ago, that one government publication (it eludes me and after another 10 hr day, I'm not looking for it) suggests that it may kinder to refer to them as "park homes" but to treat them as caravans in any legal sense

Regards

BOD
 23 January 2013 08:57 PM

slittle

Made the same mistake only a week ago Bod.

Had an unusual cable fault on a "park home" site that we got dragged into. Made the near fatal mistake of using the word "caravan" then modified it to "mobile home" before retreating.

Did get lots of tea on site though so couldn't of upset too many of the locals.

Stu
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.