Increase font size
Topic Title: Estimating software
Topic Summary: Basic and simple
Created On: 21 January 2013 09:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 January 2013 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GJH

Hi everyone

I am looking for a basic estimating software or spreadsheet that I can use. I need a basic system that I can Also instruct others to use.

A basic excel spreadsheet would be ideal, but I am not clever enough to Create one.

I have used easy price pro and I find it far too involved for what I need.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance
 21 January 2013 10:20 PM

Martynduerden

How about:

Hours X Rate X Men + Materials + profit (% if preferred) = Price

Works for most smaller jobs

Larger jobs tend to be an exercise in paperwork (chasing material cost) or just experience.

Personally speaking nowadays I tend to have a look around a job and know instinctively what it will involve and cost, I win about 80% any more and id need full time staff and know i was too cheap.

-------------------------
Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 22 January 2013 06:58 AM

normcall

Apart from the 'Martyn' system, have you used 'electrika'?

The other system I've used in the past is my accounting package which has a job costing module - prices you pay, materials you use are all there. I just set up standard 'components (2G socket surface, 2G socket flush etc.) and give them part numbers. All you need then is to put in the quantities and print a quote. The mk III brain is necessary for non standard items or special factors, but most of the routine work is done,

Norman
 07 April 2013 12:20 PM

sparkingchip

Why is Easy price Pro to involved?

Andy
 07 April 2013 02:07 PM

MrP

Estimating software on the whole does not work to many unknowns

Estimating software or not, you would have to do a "take off" cable lengths, containment and accessories put it on a spread sheet pump it out two three wholesalers tell the cheapest he was not far out and turn the screw
Unit labour cost sorted
It's how long it takes to put the stuff in, program considerations, environment and accessibility is the pining the tail on the donkey
We do what we do we are electrical contractors, If you're looking for software to price an install outside your comfort zone
"don't do it pike"

It comes with experience I bet there are guys on here can pull outside a house and say within a couple of hundred quid what's going on the estimate before getting out of the car same with commercial, similar installations modular fittings busbar and dado that you have completed it will be a Sq meter rate as a guide. Industrial a little different
Each job completed you will have a project analyses, project price what it came in at, man hours worked, material cost, profit and loss. This is an essential guide too if you are making any money but also it builds up to become your costing library without good records you don't know where you've been or where your going.

Good luck buddy

MrP blowing a gale
 07 April 2013 02:22 PM

sparkingchip

I went to a show where Easy Price Pro had a stand demonstrating the software. I'm still using the free mouse mat they gave me, but have not purchased the software.

My understanding is it runs Excel in the background and will not function unless Excel is already in place on your computer.

Keeping it up-to-date could be a pain if you did not use it frequently, but talking about domestic installations fittings and accessories don't vary that much, cable would be a bigger issue as it can go up in price before you commence work however you price the job.

Andy
 07 April 2013 05:51 PM

Zs

Here's a trick for you.

You get the information on what is required and some drawings of the property.

You go to Jewsons and pay £80 for the entire job to be priced, so the builder pays most of it.

You put your feet up for about 4 days and you get a 20 page report and estimate back. This includes the hours that sections of the job will take and is based on the cost of supplies from Jewsons.

You adjust the labour rates on account of them thinking that electricians are cheap. Re-do their report using your labour figures and the builder's labour figures and you charge the builder another £80 for doing that.

Submit estimate.

Zs
 07 April 2013 08:06 PM

GB

I find the electrika software nice and simples!!

And a decent package if you need to show BoQ etc
 08 April 2013 08:57 PM

beaver74

Originally posted by: GB

I find the electrika software nice and simples!!

And a decent package if you need to show BoQ etc

really??? I have given up 3 times now with elecrika as my whole saler does not know how to put in my prices and I cant get the kits to work ect
 09 April 2013 07:14 AM

mossep

If you want a simple effective excel spreadsheet for pricing PM me with your email address and I will send you one. I'll put hours, materials, % mark up etc... for you.

www.mossep.com
 09 April 2013 01:40 PM

GB

I must admit that I dont use the pricing data within Electrika very often I just input items, add cost, and labour mark up etc manually and bobs your uncle. simples!! because I want it to be.
An uprate on a spreadsheet format.

09 April 2013 10:05 PM

beaver74

Originally posted by: mossep

If you want a simple effective excel spreadsheet for pricing PM me with your email address and I will send you one. I'll put hours, materials, % mark up etc... for you.

Mossep any chance I could nick a copy too
 10 April 2013 10:06 PM

mossep

no problem , PM me your email address

www.mossep.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.