Increase font size
Topic Title: Outdoor UPVC lighting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 January 2013 11:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 January 2013 11:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stateit

Depending on how deep your pockets are Collingwood machine their fittings from very high grade materials that last well even in salty air.

If you want a change of mind from soffit lights, then I've also used brass marine bulkheads for a somewhat quirky look... but they also need deep pockets.

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 20 January 2013 11:35 PM

M.Joshi

The white IP rated ones we fitted 6 years ago outdoors to the UPVC soffit seem to have withstood the weather although we don't live near the coast!

I can't remember the brand - may have been Aurora?

Will your downlighters be installed in a soffit?

Have you considered using IP rated shower fittings instead? Integrated LED ones are available too.

Edit: Just found this website which you may find useful:

The tilt ones are designed for outdoors and have a 20 year DuPont paint guarantee!

Soffit & Eaves lighting

M.I.E.T - Forfeited this due to The I.E.T's ridiculous membership rules!

Edited: 20 January 2013 at 11:43 PM by M.Joshi
 20 January 2013 11:39 PM

weirdbeard

Hi dougie100, how about using the plastic coated ip rated sticky backed LED tape instead of downlights, easy to fit and versatile?
 20 January 2013 11:47 PM

SKElectrical

The LED flexible striplights I buy are sealed in a silicone but I doubt this process has ever been applied to the manufacture of downlights , even if it would suit the outside coastal application.

I rather suspect that you will have to mock up a protective shield. How about you get some pre-cut circular perspex made, say 20mm larger diameter than the downlight, then it could be secured with silicone to the fitted downlight.
Being LED, it shouldn't be too impracticle.
Silicone around the edges and not on the rear surface.
 21 January 2013 12:37 PM

esspeegee

I found spray painting the fittings is quick and easy and they look great. Use a good quality branded spray cans such as hammerite. Takes next to no time to dry bewteen coats and you can put on as many coats as you think the environmental conditions demand
 21 January 2013 06:47 PM

OMS

You could use LED ground mounted uplighters in the soffit - these are usually stainless and pretty resistant to most things.

Holophane 1200 mini is one example

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 21 January 2013 09:56 PM

DOUGIE1000

hi all, 1st many thanks for the suggestions.

However I have explained the full truth.... these lights are a added option to a front door GRP door canopy and we normally fit either a 16watt 2d or shower proof IP rated gu10 fittings with 4watt LED's however recently been getting complaints that after 12 months the coastal location has affected the finish on the white shower proof fittings.

I have been looking at PLASTER spot lights however after a few hours looking throught internet have found that most suppliers of GU10 shower proof are actually aluminium and the salt air should not be afecting the finish of the shower proof fittings and maybe a change of supplier for shower lights will resolve issues. The canopys come with a 10 year guarantee and so should the lights also.

Hence the question, corrosion resistant gu10 fittings for LED,

after some Google research IP shower rated lights shows that some are stainless Steel and some are aluminium.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.