Topic Title: £1,400 rewire
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 January 2013 09:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 January 2013 08:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SherlockOhms

This is all about market forces.

Several times on recent jobs I've questioned customers on what they've paid for previous jobs. Most common answer is £650 for the consumer unit.

Clearly some of us have had it good for some time. The shoe now, however, is firmly on the customers foot. Give it a few years and it'll be our turn to wear it again.

S.
 18 January 2013 07:48 PM

GJH

Alan, i bet you've lost money on that bungalow job. No disrespect.

Sit down and work it out and i bet its COST you money to do it.

If it was 7 days, thats £100 per day, £80 after tax. All the time getting the gear, the diesel, time spent quoting it. Its not worth it mate.

Electricians should charge decent money for what i think is the most skilled job out there in the construction industry.

When you were called expensive who were you quoting against? The bloke down the pub, next door neighbour? An "electrician" who has done a 5 week course? We are multi skilled people and the industry has been degraded over the years and also a lack of public knowledge.

Gas installers come in and charge £2500 to change a boiler, £500 to fit a radiator and the customers doesn't blink an eye.Kitchen fitters charge £10,000+ to fit a Kitchen and everyone accepts it.

We charge £1500 to rewire a house and we are expensive!

You can see what you get for your money, that's the problem.

We are first on the job and last off it, and we are the most regulated trade on the job.

As long as we keep lowering prices and letting customers bully us into a corner the trade will never get any better. I have stuck to my guns and the price is the price, and i now win more work than i lose. I take time to explain the regs in the quote and try and be as professional as i can so they get an "added value" service.

I think the governing bodies should do more to help us create more public awareness but that's another post.

I know similiar companies like the one you've described in Leicester, but the lads aren't sparks. There is one qualified spark and 5 young lads. I have tested these places and its a death trap.

The most hated bloke on the job is the clerk of works because he rips the job to bits, Sockets different heights, bad connections, mess everywhere the list is endless.

I know at least 4 or 5 companies who have gone bump because of the standard of work and have not been paid.
 18 January 2013 11:34 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: Martynduerden

I'm guessing its simply geographical variation, decent sparks round here are £250/ day minimum

Martyn, if you dont mind me jumping on this.....for the south east.......thats £250 for someone with a lot of knowledge, niceic reg etc etc, new transport, every tool available, good attitude and people skills, working as a company.

£120 a day gets you someone who went to college for their basic level 3 and never went back to improve on anything.... basic subbies.

hard hat on and duck for cover!!!

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 19 January 2013 11:34 AM

normcall

Called out on Friday to a recent build 'posh' property with a report that they have a few lights not working properly and could I 'pop in' before their dinner party at lunch time!
The customer tells me the builder was rubbish, the plumber was rubbish and don't mention the carpenter! The electrician, however, was really good. Obvious question was why not get the guy back. It appears he came from miles away and has now died.
Problem was a 6 gang grid plate with 6 dimmers controlling some 48 GU10 recessed spots. For some reason they keep failing.
I agree to redesign and then we get the, 'when you return can you fix this little problem and this one and look at this..........'

Housebashers still manage to get it wrong - I dare not ask if all this stuff was specified as it did look very impressive complete with certificates.

Norman
 19 January 2013 01:31 PM

peteTLM

overheating.......

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 19 January 2013 02:53 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: peteTLM

Originally posted by: Martynduerden

I'm guessing its simply geographical variation, decent sparks round here are £250/ day minimum

Martyn, if you dont mind me jumping on this.....for the south east.......thats £250 for someone with a lot of knowledge, niceic reg etc etc, new transport, every tool available, good attitude and people skills, working as a company.

Should I take that as a complement 😋

£120 a day gets you someone who went to college for their basic level 3 and never went back to improve on anything.... basic subbies.

hard hat on and duck for cover!!!

I guess that's the employee vs company though @ £120.00 a day I'd go bust in a matter of weeks......

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 20 January 2013 04:55 PM

antric2

Rewiring empty properties is a doddle and the price of 16\1700 quid is a good payout as you are in and out 3 to 4 days.
The £2400 comes in when you have 3 bed semis that are lived in and maybe cluttered to theroof and you end up backwards and forwards.

.......'Get the customer to move the clutter themselves'... I hear you say...we have been down that route where we agree slightly cheaper cost ,ask customer to move all stuff to centre of room(nights before we go into certain rooms) or empty cupboards\understairs\under the bed\loft etc and it doesnt get done so we ended up doing it then started charging £10 per hour for clearance which causes friction when you add £50 to a bill so now we look at the house the people and clutter and adjust our price accordingly.

If any of you want to do lived in houses for less than £2 grand then you can have them for me.

Self employed people should not be earning £10 per hour .You have had the bottle to take a risk,work all hours,take full responsibillity, get and keep current and qualified,finance all your actions.... do I need to say more.
Might as well go employed at Asda if you want easy but hard graft for £400 a week.
Regards
Antric
 20 January 2013 08:38 PM

Rulland

I find, and it does my flipping head in, that once you have done any work you are liable for anything else in the future, you fit an outside PIR flood-you get the calls to replace the halogen bulb everytime it fails, as 'you fitted it', etc etc.
'Can you put my 42" telly on the wall', 'Yes'-while your here can you tune it in, adjust the times on my heating, have a quick look at my intruder alarm, and while you put up a new light fitting in the lounge, move the old one from the lounge into the hallway and the hallway one into the small bedroom...................................all for the same price of fitting a tv bracket and replacing a light fitting..........and then they look at you like you're being a knob when you say 'yeh, can do, but it'll cost you extra'.

Is it just me that gets the feckers that want all for nothing?.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 20 January 2013 09:10 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: Rulland

I find, and it does my flipping head in, that once you have done any work you are liable for anything else in the future, you fit an outside PIR flood-you get the calls to replace the halogen bulb everytime it fails, as 'you fitted it', etc etc.

'Can you put my 42" telly on the wall', 'Yes'-while your here can you tune it in, adjust the times on my heating, have a quick look at my intruder alarm, and while you put up a new light fitting in the lounge, move the old one from the lounge into the hallway and the hallway one into the small bedroom...................................all for the same price of fitting a tv bracket and replacing a light fitting..........and then they look at you like you're being a knob when you say 'yeh, can do, but it'll cost you extra'.

Is it just me that gets the feckers that want all for nothing?.

The "can you just" people

20 January 2013 09:13 PM

Rulland

Thats them....

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
IET » Wiring and the regulations » £1,400 rewire

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.