Topic Title: £1,400 rewire
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 January 2013 09:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 January 2013 09:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

Seen this flyer floating about locally.

Up to a 2 bedroom house inc 40amp shower circuit and 32amp cooker fully rewired. -£1,400

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 16 January 2013 09:22 PM

GJH

Yeeeee Haaaaaaa!!!
 16 January 2013 09:36 PM

Martynduerden

Go for it get em in it will end up being free because no one in their right mind will pay for a bodge job.

1,400.00 gets you nothing in this area I've just today completed a rewire which was tens of multiples of that figure and nothing super special.

I did have a known chap working for me on the job who I'm sure would have done it or a fraction of my quote - I spent days correcting his errors - he's fully qualified every single bit of paper he even thinks he's the bees knees total and utter sh**e.

Cheap is expensive!

Regards

Martyn.

Only a mediocre person is always at their best

www.electrical contractors uk.com
 16 January 2013 09:49 PM

antric2

Evening all,
Well Dougie, you have hit on my pet project fact finding mission of the moment.
Last year I did 3 full rewires out of 16 quotes when normally I do about 8 or 9 from an average of about 12\13 quotes for rewires.My prices have not changed and i even threw in a bathroom light fitting and security light.
I called some of the failed quotes and even though I had been recommended it all came down to cost....not a smal gap but a£2400 3 bed semi with shower being lost to a £1500 rival quote.

My son told me of his mate, about 24 years old who had gone on his own and was unindated with rewires so maybe that was the answer.Not all lost work to him but a couple of other guys who were equally as cheap.

I bumped into my sons mate and he told me he would do 3 beds for £1200 because he was young and he had to go cheap to get the work.Fair enough, he does look young so understand his point.He gets someone to sign his jobs off.He also told me he worked for a local council housebashing and so he can and has done rewires in 2 days....ye right!!.

So, while contemplating my position I thought I might try him out on a rewire as he has now gone quiet.He is prepared to work for £70 a 12 hour day.I will,genuinely pay a higher rate if he is worth it.
My point...if you cant beat them...use them and bring them into the fold as it may work out right for everyone.
Regards
Antric
 16 January 2013 10:04 PM

Martynduerden

Originally posted by: antric2

So, while contemplating my position I thought I might try him out on a rewire as he has now gone quiet.He is prepared to work for £70 a 12 hour day.I will,genuinely pay a higher rate if he is worth it.

£70😱 I've been paying more than that for labourers !

Regards

Martyn.

16 January 2013 10:08 PM

DOUGIE1000

Evening all,

Well Dougie, you have hit on my pet project fact finding mission of the moment.

Last year I did 3 full rewires out of 16 quotes when normally I do about 8 or 9 from an average of about 12\13 quotes for rewires.My prices have not changed and i even threw in a bathroom light fitting and security light.

I called some of the failed quotes and even though I had been recommended it all came down to cost....not a smal gap but a£2400 3 bed semi with shower being lost to a £1500 rival quote.

My son told me of his mate, about 24 years old who had gone on his own and was unindated with rewires so maybe that was the answer.Not all lost work to him but a couple of other guys who were equally as cheap.

I bumped into my sons mate and he told me he would do 3 beds for £1200 because he was young and he had to go cheap to get the work.Fair enough, he does look young so understand his point.He gets someone to sign his jobs off.He also told me he worked for a local council housebashing and so he can and has done rewires in 2 days....ye right!!.

My point...if you cant beat them...use them and bring them into the fold as it may work out right for everyone.

Regards

Antric

Our local council expect rewires of houses to be compleated within a day http://www.theiet.org/Forums/f...rewire%20in%20a%20day

I have employed several of these rewire sparks over last 3 years, useless cant test, dont know how to fish a cable without ising a grinder/hammer or a rotary stop drill, cant work from drawings, cant think, get stumped on simple commercial jobs, one even saying he dosent know anything about 3 phase or understands how it all works.

Dougie

16 January 2013 10:12 PM

DOUGIE1000

Originally posted by: Martynduerden

we have a labourer in another business i own, the labourer(s) are on minimum wage at time of this post is £6.20ph, £50 a day.

£70 for 12 hours day from a spark providing his own van, tools, etc,

Dougie

16 January 2013 10:13 PM

GJH

I know a few lads who have just started on their own and that is exactly what they are doing. Incredibly low quotes just to win some work.
The lads i speak to ask me how much i charge and they cant believe it. What they need to remember is its not how much they want to earn but how much it will cost to do the job including materials, travel, insurance, FU factor, tax.etc

This is the problem. Not enough knowledge to quote the jobs correctly.
 16 January 2013 10:16 PM

antric2

He offered to work for £70 a day but I like to think I am a fair man and I will pay him the rate if he is worth it,but, II want to find out if he is as good\efficient as he states or if he knows customer service\manners\quality of work\standards\testing \safety etc etc etc..
I hope he his professional or can be pointed in the right direction by me as he is a decent lad who is giving it a go.
Watch this space
Regards
Antric
 16 January 2013 10:18 PM

Martynduerden

I'm guessing its simply geographical variation, decent sparks round here are £250/ day minimum

Regards

Martyn.

16 January 2013 10:18 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: GJH

I know a few lads who have just started on their own and that is exactly what they are doing. Incredibly low quotes just to win some work.

The lads i speak to ask me how much i charge and they cant believe it. What they need to remember is its not how much they want to earn but how much it will cost to do the job including materials, travel, insurance, FU factor, tax.etc

This is the problem. Not enough knowledge to quote the jobs correctly.

You have hit the nail right on the head!
 16 January 2013 10:19 PM

DOUGIE1000

the same contractor is installing 10 way 17th edition boards for £170 but there this is another topic

Dougie

16 January 2013 10:22 PM

antric2

I'm guessing its simply geographical variation, decent sparks round here are £250/ day minimum

I dont know Martyn.With the exception of London and its suburbs,I think most of the country is on a sort of level par of wages.Obviously some areas are run down but the cost of a job is the cost of a job.
Did you spark up in Burnley before you went down 'sarf' and if you did,do you notice the difference in rates
Regards
Antric
 16 January 2013 10:25 PM

Dave69

well a couple of years ago when I was short of work a local contractor offered me some work installing fans in bathrooms and replacing the light and pull cord, he was paying £50 per bathroom. He told me his blokes were doing at least 5 aday, it was all coucil houses. I thought I'd have to give it ago so I took my son with me thinking he could be core drilling a 4 inch hole while i replaced the light and pull cord, fitted the fan isolator etc. we were given a list of adresses with NO phone numbers and off we went. The first house we arrived at, some 40 miles away was empty so we drove off to the next, the man answered door saying he was expecting a bathroom fitter to install a fan, he showed us the bathroom, told us to help ourselves to tea and coffee and then said, I hope you wont be making any noise as I work nights and I am off to bed now. My son and me looked at each other and walked out, jumped in the van and drove home.

I reakon each bathroom would take a sparks at least 2 hours even if you ran the fan supply surface in trunking rather than trying to fish it where possible across the ceiling, by the time you've core drilled a 4 inch hole, cleared the mess up etc. 5 in a day NO CHANCE unless you wanna work a good 12 day, but while people are happy to work for stupid money people will be happy to pay stupid money
 16 January 2013 10:26 PM

GJH

£170??? joker!
 16 January 2013 10:35 PM

Martynduerden

I dont know Martyn.With the exception of London and its suburbs,I think most of the country is on a sort of level par of wages.Obviously some areas are run down but the cost of a job is the cost of a job.

Did you spark up in Burnley before you went down 'sarf' and if you did,do you notice the difference in rates

Regards

Antric

Yeah I had a large ish customer base in the north in and around burnley / Manchester, from memory I was going in at about £170 a day labour only pre 2003.

I moved to the land of heated streets in 2003 at that time most work was SC. since moving 95% of my work is my own, there seems to be a genuine shortage of decent electricians down here ( no shortage of electricians) which keeps the rate up.

Regards

Martyn.

Edited: 19 January 2013 at 02:55 PM by Martynduerden
 16 January 2013 11:09 PM

antric2

£170 a day pre 2003....not bad then but things were a bit more bouyant (or even buoyant) then.
 17 January 2013 06:51 AM

Fm

Lots of construction companies have gone down the tubes
Electrical contracting companies have done the same
Lots of sparks on the dole or a bare week
So they already have their tools and a means to get a round.
Pricing low hoping to get a few extras that will bump the price up( standard practice) or a loss leader or build up a customer base.
Come on its not rocket science and a well motivated spark,who probably did this on price work for a company can rattle them out.
A bit of competition never hurt anyone, makes you lookmat you business and sharpen up.
 17 January 2013 07:46 AM

SherlockOhms

I'm going to play devils advocate here.
I have to admit when I look at the price of rewires and I do think it's an awfull lot of money.

For a straight forward rewire (sockets/lights and smokes/fan etc) the materials for a 3 bed semi will set us back around £600.
4 days labour at £250? Total £1600 plus the VAT if reqd.

Is it being greedy adding on another couple of grand?

As with all jobs, it's down to the customer.
I'm wising up rapidly. If I get the vibe that price is the only consideration then I just put in my price and walk away.

S.
 17 January 2013 08:32 AM

alanblaby

Ok, I have sympathy for anyone 'down South' who needs to charge £2500+ to live. However, here in the frozen Midlands, I have just completed a rewire on a 2 bed bungalow, a real swine of a job for all of £1500. I've maybe made £700 on it. I don't know how many hours I've done as the work has been spread over 3 months - started last October, but certainly at least 7 full days. If done in one block , it could be done in 5 days.
I was told I was a little expensive when I gave the quote, but as I had been recommended, and was prepared to be flexible (whenever the builder had completed knocking down walls and extending the kitchen etc), I had the job. It's all good quality kit (RCBO CU etc), and all been done to the Regs.

There is a largish Company in Leicester who pay their sparkies £10 a hour doing Council rewires. Doesnt sound too bad at first, but that is self-employed rate. If there is a call-back, you dont go back, they get someone else to remedy the fault, and charge you £50. They expect a rewire in 2 days - yes, full rewire. I thought this would be stick on trunking, but no, it is full chasing out, they do supply a plasterer to make good. Then, if you run out of cable/parts, you have to pay to get more cable, as they 'always hand out the correct amount' when you get the job order.
Then there are numerous illegal 'fines' for turning up 10 minutes late, the boss asking for £10 for the christmas fund, when asked when the party is, you find out that it is not the staff party, it is the Boss's party.
I know all this as my mate worked for them as a plasterer, and I spoke to one of their ex-'employees' at the wholesalers. He said the same as me, they always advertise in the local paper, he was short of work, so thought he'd try them You need to write in with a CV and qualifications etc, making it sound genuine, you get an interview the day after they get your CV, then you can start the next day, after the patter from the boss saying how he is doing you a favour. Once you have done a day, and heard the conditions you work in, you realise what a mistake it is. If you make it to the Friday, when you get paid, you expect £400, yet only get £360, as you've been 'fined' for some minor indiscretion.
It sounds unreal, but I can assure you it is true.

Alan.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » £1,400 rewire

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.