Increase font size
Topic Title: Fire detection in HMOs
Topic Summary: Large property
Created On: 16 January 2013 08:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 January 2013 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JZN

Hi,

I have done a number of fire alarm syatems in houses locally for a landlord who lets to students. These have been three or four bedroom average semis and we have used smokes in each room and on hallways and heat sensor in the kitchen. Always used the Aico domestic systems with mains detectors and battery back ups wired together in three core and earth cable.

Just looked at another job. A massive house undergoing complete rennovation and will be an upmarket student let. Five beds three reception rooms, kitchen, garages. I see on the Aico instructions that they say up to 12 detectors can be linked.

Anyone know why 12? Given the length of cable runs and the number of detectors (11 I think) should i be looking at a fire panel detectors on diode bases etc.

Thanks

John
 16 January 2013 08:29 PM

peteTLM

If its that big, why not do a 'proper' system with panel etc etc.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 16 January 2013 08:51 PM

rocknroll

This should help you for HMO's;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/14884/fsra-sleeping-accommodation.pdf

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 16 January 2013 08:54 PM

leckie

You need to check lacor regs for HMO fire alarms. Aico are not suitable in all cases, you need a full system.
 16 January 2013 08:56 PM

leckie

16 January 2013 08:59 PM

sparkingchip

I have just skimmed through four Aico books I have to hand and i can't see any mention of a maximum number of alarms that can be interconnected.

I presume they must save that for the instructions in the box after you have purchased more than a dozen of them!

Get a copy of the Aico Application Expert book if you don't have one and you will realise you can get quite sophisticated with the design and specification.

Andy
 16 January 2013 09:19 PM

sparkingchip

Interestingly the technical data sheet on this website states thirty six alarms can be interconnected.

Best make a phone call to Aico.

Andy
 16 January 2013 10:59 PM

Dave69

it depends what type of detectors you are using, thier basic ones can only have 12 heads

you will need to check local regs, FRA if one has been done, if not do one and that will all tell you what type of fire dection system you need. You may well find that local regs or the fire officer will ask for remote indicators outside each bedroom door and sounders and strobes inside each bedroom, manual call points on each floor and at each exit and in the kitchen, if that is the case the easiest way is install a simple system like bi wire or twin flex, one panel and one 2 core cable per zone
 17 January 2013 12:08 AM

sparkingchip

Do you think you will get the Fire Officer involved with a HMO, other than issuing a Fire Safety Order? You'll certainly get more input from the Housing officer at the Council though when it comes to licencing it.

Andy
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.