Topic Title: Wooden Back Boxes
Topic Summary: Are these acceptable ref BS7671
Created On: 16 January 2013 07:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 January 2013 09:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

Not an ideal solution, however could be up for consideration http://www.ukelectricalsupplie...-lighting-au-fgdb.htm

Andy
 24 January 2013 10:30 PM

Paradigm

Originally posted by: rocknroll

The saga continues;

http://www.periodpattresses.com/

regards

Aren't they just metalclad switches mounted on a lump of wood Rocky, no different to mounting a metalclad socket on a lump of wood and nothing to do with the OP, doesn't really prove anything does it,

And that's why I pointed out to Andy that all the wooden sockets I have seen have a metal plate to protect the wood, so they aren't really applicable to the discussion on here either. Lets not compare apples to oranges

And for the record, I would probably go with the fire retardant stuff and note it down as a departure/deviation or whatever else you choose to call it.

But that's just my opinion and should be taken as so.

Nick

-------------------------
"be careful of what you write"
 25 January 2013 07:51 AM

kj scott

If you really have to keep the wooden boxes: how about using these and no departure recorded.
Intumescent box liner

I would still prefer to replace the boxes if rewiring; unless being a listed building restricted the work.

http://www.niceic.biz
 25 January 2013 09:22 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

I haven't seen those particular ones Andy, but the ones I did fit for someone had a metal plate on the inside that covered the back of the wood.

Have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5tjyJAbTZg - there looks to be a fair bit of exposed timber around the edges of the inside to me.
- Andy.
 17 November 2014 06:30 PM

RW123

Are you chaps SERIOUSLY suggesting replacing nice insulating wooden back boxes with dangerous conducting metallic ones?
If the earth wire falls off, and the switch shorts, then the switch mounting sockets are live.
Is there a single recorded instance of a wooden back box catching fire?
 17 November 2014 09:10 PM

prophet

And if the main earth conductor snaps in half and the RCD sticks and the operator of the switch just got out of the shower.

Tom
 17 November 2014 09:20 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: RW123

Are you chaps SERIOUSLY suggesting replacing nice insulating wooden back boxes with dangerous conducting metallic ones?

If the earth wire falls off, and the switch shorts, then the switch mounting sockets are live.

Is there a single recorded instance of a wooden back box catching fire?

Well if you have a loose connection in the wooden back box of your switch accessory or what ever you will get sparking and arcing which may or may not cause the surroundings to get hot which in turn after some time may cause a fire. It is more likely that you will here it buzzing when you get close to it or walk by ro see the lights flickering.
If, however, the backing box is metal it is unlikely to catch alight, although you will still here the buzzing behind the switchplate. The next step, if you have been following the 'Mike Power' show will be to unscrew the switchplate to examine the terminals. At this point the conductors come loose and may make contact with the metal back box which are likely to be earthed via a green and yellow conductor as there is no terminal on the switchplate, unless its metal. The circuit under these conditions should automatically disconnect. Not so in any position with a wooden backing box unless you touch it.

I like wooden back boxes as they give an element of style and superior quality, but they need to be painted with BS fireproof paint if used.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 17 November 2014 09:28 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: prophet

And if the main earth conductor snaps in half and the RCD sticks and the operator of the switch just got out of the shower.

Tom

Wet pubic hair would be the last thing on his mind........

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 18 November 2014 06:41 PM

AncientMariner

I bought a couple of wooden back boxes in the early/mid 1960's for a project I was playing with involving a carbon microphone bought from a electrical/radio (I don't think they used the word electronic then?) surplus shop in Croydon.

The next time I came across wooden back boxes was in our house which was built in circa 1958. (MK accessories and TRS cable no earth wire sleeving)

Cheers!

Clive

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 18 November 2014 09:16 PM

dickllewellyn

I love the wiring diagram section of that period patresses link. Neutral connected into the light switch common terminal anyone?!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Wooden Back Boxes

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.