IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DIY Bungalow Rewire - least thats my thoughts!
Topic Summary: Codes for EICR
Created On: 15 January 2013 08:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 January 2013 08:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

74jools

Hi all,
Had a Guy phone a few days back to say he has had a bungalow rewired by an electrician (so he maintains) but who has now gone sick / unobtainable, and could I produce a certificate for him!
Gave the facts surrounding part P etc, told him to contact his local council to see if they would accept an EICR, told him thats the only option open to him unless his phantom electrician gets better.
The rewire has obviously been done by someone who has a little knowledge of electrics, evident by how accessories are terminated, and the state of the CU wiring etc, but saying that the installation is safe, and all tests check out fine.
My question is what would be your considered opinions and codes for the following deviations:

Its a TT installation, but no Earth Pit, Rod is buried under the lawn!
CU has no markings/circuit numbering for Earth & Neutral Bars.
Fitted Fridge, Freezer & Dishwasher are plugged into sockets that are inaccessible behind them.
I have coded the other items, like unsleeved switch wires and no FCU for Extractor Fan etc, but don't see a reason to give an unsatisfactory report based on my findings above, or do you disagree?

Regards
Julian

Just to make a point, i'm not new to periodics/EICR's, but possibly
 15 January 2013 08:42 PM

normcall

You didn't say how long ago it was rewired. (thinking about the lawn and earth rod).
Your description sounds like the average installation I see most days.

It's surprising what you get asked to do. Sunday evening 'customer' rang to ask if I still did electrics as he had lost all his upstairs power. (This was only about 8pm). Checked my records (yep, I do keep them!) and it seems in February 2007 strangely the same thing happened. as it 10pm, I disconnected the circuit as it had an earth fault (tripping the RCD) and suggested he got someone in as I couldn't get back for about a week. So, it got reconnected (by someone) and tomorrow I start the hunt for one or more faults that obviously have been missed over the past 6 years.

Should be an interesting day or three!

-------------------------
Norman
 15 January 2013 08:49 PM

74jools

Its been rewired within the last couple of months, and the labeling for the Earth / Neutral Bar still lays in the Cupboard where the CU is situtated. Whoever did it though has affixed the RCD Label and the Wiring to two different colours to the CU.
I'm not new to EICR's and have been carrying out Periodics and the new EICR for sometime, I just wondering if i'm nitpicking on the points mentioned?

Julian
 15 January 2013 09:24 PM

daveparry1

Those neutral and earth bar stickers do come off someimes, I often find them curled up or laying in the bottom of the c/unit. I don't bother too much about them anyway, it's always obvious which one is which and the numbers often don't often make any sense with split or dual rcd boards, I just wire the neutrals and earths in sequence with the breakers,

Dave.
 15 January 2013 09:41 PM

DOUGIE1000

earth rod unaccessable and not protected against corrosion 542.3.2, 543.3.1, 543.3.3 code 3

circuit labelling, 514.9.1, 514.11 code 3

sockets inaccessable, 132.12, 537.5, code 3

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 15 January 2013 10:00 PM

John Peckham

How do you know there is an earth rod buried under the lawn?

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 15 January 2013 10:05 PM

daveparry1

I suspect he can see an earth cable dissapearing into the ground John, might have even taken a reading at the other end? I've had this situation a number of times,

Dave.
 15 January 2013 10:05 PM

normcall

Don't be silly John,
There's a green/yellow wire winding it's way through the flower bed and there is a worm trying to make love at the other end (they are little devils, ya no!).
Well, that's what mine get up to - then leave their debris lying on the surface as they come up for air.

Norman
 15 January 2013 10:16 PM

74jools

Originally posted by: John Peckham

15 January 2013 10:22 PM

74jools

Because the Turf has been laid for slightly less time than the banging in the ground of the nice new Screwfix earth rod, and you can lift it up and see it John.
Just annoys me that these DIY bods make such a bodge, and when you try to explain the Reg's to them they get all Bolshy and Defensive!
 16 January 2013 10:46 PM

antric2

I would walk away Julien.
Sorry for negative reply but I have the internal scars from past experience of dissapearing sparks.
Regards
Antric
 16 January 2013 11:02 PM

John Peckham

You did not say you had lifted up the turf and seen it I thought you had made an assumption. I would give the client a list of all the items you have found and as this is a brand new job suggest they have all the defects rectified and in the meantime ask the LA if they will accept an EICR for regularisation. If you only have C3s on the EICR it could be a "satisfactory" but getting a completion notice for a s**t job is a bit like a turd rolled in glitter it is still a turd.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 16 January 2013 11:14 PM

antric2

......... a s**t job is a bit like a turd rolled in glitter it is still a turd.

I always like to learn new things from this forum but it is some of the priceless quotes that make my day!!
Keep them coming people.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.