Increase font size
Topic Title: Vertically hung fluorescent tubes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 January 2013 10:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 January 2013 10:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

I was in the Krispy Kreme doughnut shop with Selfridges, Birmingham this afternoon enjoying a coffee with of course a doughnut, butterscotch flavour to be precise.

Just over from where we were sat there is a area of the store lit by fluorescents. There is a wire mesh tray at high level with the control gear sets and wiring mounted on it all sprayed matt black. Suspended from this there are a large number of fluorescent tubes of varying lengths randomly spaced and at differing heights all hanging vertically to give the impression of not being mounted in a fitting thus just a bare tube.

In reality there is a small fitting onto of the tube connecting it to the hanging flex, then from this a small cable runs down the side of a plastic tube that contains the fluorescent lamp to another fitting on the bottom of the tube.

Any idea where these can be sourced?

Also having tried Googling them I have seen suggestions that if hung vertically the gas in the fluorescent tube will settle and the tube needs flipping over occasionally to maintain performance. Incidentally I have also seen suggestions that vertical tubes are particularly good for some kinds of indoor horticulture!

Andy
 13 January 2013 11:07 PM

peteTLM

i had the 'pleasure' of having to dismantle a few of this system in an architects office, but these were mounted horizontally. I did see what make they were and googled it and had a look at there website, but can i remember what make they were? No.

They have a very thin plastic jacket around the glass, presumambly to contain it in the event of a crunch.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 January 2013 11:14 PM

leckie

Do you meant the cover? Encapsulite?

">http://www.encapsulite.co.uk/index.php

I've used these when you can't have a lamp breaking and contaminating food production etc. if that's what you mean.

I didn't know vertical lamps were good for the those special greenhouses though.
 13 January 2013 11:20 PM

peteTLM

yes.... my ones were the stick light

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 January 2013 11:29 PM

sparkingchip

14 January 2013 10:48 AM

northernlights

Have a look at www.kinoflo.com.
These lights are used extensively in the film industry and can be used with the conrol gear remote to the fitting
 14 January 2013 02:39 PM

AJJewsbury

Also having tried Googling them I have seen suggestions that if hung vertically the gas in the fluorescent tube will settle and the tube needs flipping over occasionally to maintain performance.

I heard of tungsten-halogen needing to be horizontal (as they work by re-condensing the evaporated metal back onto the filament), but not of similar problems with fluorescents - if there was such a problem I would have thought that wall lights with circular or 2D lamps would have been in trouble...
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.