Increase font size
Topic Title: thatched cottage
Topic Summary: any special requirements
Created On: 13 January 2013 06:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 January 2013 06:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stuarthughes

evening all , went to look at a thatched cottage on saturday in regards to quoting for a rewire , now i have never worked on a thatched cottage so i thought i would look on here to see if there is any special requirements , from what i can gather BS7671 does not require any special requirements due to it being thatched , but some of the threads were a few years old , and a little contradictory ,so i would like a bit of clarification from a more competent person .

many thanks stu
 13 January 2013 07:47 PM

geov

First people I would be talking to are the insurers of the property. I'm guessing MICC for anything in the ceiling, but others more knowledgable than me will be along shortly!
 13 January 2013 08:23 PM

Cremeegg

Never worked on any but I'd certainly be talking to their insurers - who will probably refer you to the Dorset model standard. I can't find my records of it at present but would suggest a search on here should reveal its secrets.
 13 January 2013 08:32 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Dorset model standard.
------------------
Enter the above text into Google, loads of info. there,

Dave.
 13 January 2013 09:09 PM

leckie

Have a look through this as well.

">http://www.esc-essenti...de......t045-13.pdf

Last time I did a thatched cottage the insurers insisted on micc in the roof space. They may now refer to enhanced cable. Check with them though.
 13 January 2013 09:58 PM

DR2366

From the NICEIC

4. Selection of wiring systems
To meet the requirements embodied in Chapter 42 and Sections 522 and 527 of BS 7671, wiring systems in spaces adjacent to thatch should be suitably selected and installed to minimize:
. temperature rise,
. ingress of foreign bodies, such as fragments of thatch and other debris,
. deterioration due to corrosion,
. mechanical damage by fauna or impact, and
. the spread of fire, given the increased risk due to the presence of combustible materials.

Wiring systems generally considered suitable for areas visited by vermin within thatched buildings include mineral-insulated cables having an overall thermoplastic covering, armoured cables, steel conduit, steel trunking, and thermoplastic insulated and sheathed flat twin and earth cables suitably shielded from mechanical damage by metallic capping.
Experience with high-impact plastic conduit and trunking in such situations is understood to be favourable. Metal conduit and trunking systems and other enclosures should be well sealed and galvanized, or otherwise protected with a corrosion-resistant finish where the environment is not expected to remain completely dry. Cables not in steel trunking or steel conduit should be positioned or otherwise protected to avoid damage caused by thatchers' fixings.
All wiring containment systems should be designed to prevent entry by rodents. In selecting wiring system(s) suitable for dusty areas, particular attention should be paid to the ingress of dust, the selection of equipment with suitable IP ratings, and the need to ensure that the ratings are maintained when the wiring system is constructed and installed.
Cables and wiring systems should not be installed immediately under, through or over the thatch. This includes not only those operating at mains voltage, but also extra-low voltage and communications wiring, and radio and television aerial down-leads. Overhead wiring systems should preferably not pass over or near the thatch. No wiring system should be installed closer than 300 mm to any wire-netting applied to the thatch.
In locations constructed of combustible material, cables and cords are required to comply with the requirements of BS EN 60332-1-2 and conduit and trunking systems are to be in accordance with BS EN 61386-1 and BS EN 50085-1 respectively. Conduit and trunking systems must meet the fire resistance tests within these standards (Regulations 422.4.5 and 422.4.6 refer).
 14 January 2013 12:03 PM

broadgage

The last thatched home that I worked on had a requirement not only for MICC or SWA but also a stipulation that no surface mounted light fittings were to be installed on the upper floor.

Pendants only, or wall mounted.
 14 January 2013 12:59 PM

Ricicle

Originally posted by: broadgage

The last thatched home that I worked on had a requirement not only for MICC or SWA but also a stipulation that no surface mounted light fittings were to be installed on the upper floor.

Pendants only, or wall mounted.

What no 50W halogen downlighters ?

-------------------------
Empty barrels make the most noise.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.