Increase font size
Topic Title: water leak
Topic Summary: 32A no trip
Created On: 10 January 2013 04:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 January 2013 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

zeeper

What is this resistance off fresh water out the tap.
 10 January 2013 05:07 PM

monk

Resistivity of tap water depends on a lot of factors, someone mightbe able to give you a ball park figure if you tell them your water supplier/location. You might be surprised how high it can be. Pure water is a rather good insulator! It's all the stuff dissolved in it that provide charge carriers

I would be surprised if a 32A breaker tripped from a wet cable. An RCD should trip if the cable is soaked enough, I've seen that often enough
 10 January 2013 05:21 PM

rocknroll

UK tap water does have a high resistivity around the region of 2.5/3 x 10^6, depending what charge carrying ions are in the water the resistance you asked for generally equates to a ball park figure of around 80-120 ohms/metre.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 10 January 2013 05:23 PM

Parsley

10 January 2013 05:43 PM

daveparry1

Probably not much help but i've seen a 13amp trailing socket drop into a bucket of water, first we knew of it was steam coming out of the bucket! Fuse was probably 30 amp 3036 although there would have been a 13 amp fuse in the plug, long before the days of rcd's everywhere,

Dave.
 10 January 2013 08:27 PM

Jaymack

When I was just a common electrician in the steel industry, one guy who looked after the pump room, boiled water for washing his overalls in a steel bucket, this had 2 suspended steel plates, wired with a 2 core cable plugged into a 15A power socket. Health and Safety was not known then!

Water filled, steel tank starters connected to the slip rings, were once very common for starting wound rotor motors; salts were added to the water to reduce the resistance.

Regards
 10 January 2013 11:39 PM

gkenyon

A B32 requires a heck of a lot of energy passed before a trip.

In fact, so does a fast-acting 5 A IEC127 HBC fuse: I've seen high-temperature silione flex burning without the fuse blowing, and had to unplug myself to stop it !

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 11 January 2013 07:26 AM

zeeper

I would be surprised if a 32A breaker tripped from a wet cable. An RCD should trip if the cable is soaked enough, I've seen that often enough

We had a water leak at work, which resulted in stream coming from a floor box. Im not sure how much ingression there was, because I didnt get to look at it until 2 days later. And it was all bone dry in side the floor box. The circuit was >299MOhms the lowest reading I could get was on one of the sockets of 40MOhms.

generally equates to a ball park figure of around 80-120

Thats a lot lower than I was hoping, which leads me to think that there was not as much ingression as I had be lead to believe. Although I could see evidence of arcing from the exposed line conductor.

When I turned up to work on Monday I was met with why did it trip the circuit.

But it all checks out, so I think the resistance never got low enough to trip the MCB.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.