IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I have a IOU from the scrap yard!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 January 2013 09:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 January 2013 09:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

Before visiting the scrap yard today I ensured I had my bank details with me as I was expecting to be paid by transfer into my account, though cheques can be issued as it is just cash that is banned.

However despite having weigh the scrap in and my bin being emptied onto the floor I ended up with a receipt, but no payment thus a IOU as i hadn't taken my passport and a recent utility bill with me.

Yet another thing to sort out.

Andy
 09 January 2013 10:20 PM

leckie

Now a word for the wise.

If you now start showing scrap income payments on your accounts, and in previous years you haven't, the hmcr may suspect that in previous years your sold scrap and decide that you should be assessed on previous years income. This could incur tax liability, fines and accrued interest.

Not that anyone on this forum sold scrap cable for cash without declaring it I'm sure.
 09 January 2013 10:54 PM

jamieblatant

Lucky me my name is let's say joe smith

My brothers name is jay smith

My scrapman calls me mr j smith on my cheques

-------------------------
Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 09 January 2013 10:57 PM

whjohnson

Not only the tax thing, but anyone who hasn't previously bothered with a waste carrier's licence might also find attention being drawn to the lack of that too.

Be careful out there - It's only MPs who can legitimately 'hide' things these days.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 09 January 2013 11:27 PM

leckie

A lack of a waste licence will not be too bad for you retrospectively. Hmcr get on your back it could lead to a great big metal cylinder full of wriggly things being opened.
 10 January 2013 08:11 AM

tomgunn

I phoned the scrap peeps up to find out whats what - and they told me that they are still paying cash so someones ben caught out here!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 10 January 2013 01:13 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: tomgunn
I phoned the scrap peeps up to find out whats what - and they told me that they are still paying cash so someones ben caught out here!
Tom

It's possible there's a period of grace allowed so that scrapyards can put the systems in place for the change of payment methods.

My local one no longer pays cash, cheque or direct transfer only.
ID and vehicle registration number required.
 10 January 2013 06:30 PM

londonlec

I hear theres one near me that will pay you via cheque, then cash the cheque on-site
 10 January 2013 06:35 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

I never bother with scrap, I leave it with the client for them to do what they like with it, If I couldn't make a decent living just by doing the work i'd think there was something wrong!

Dave.
 10 January 2013 06:55 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: daveparry1
I never bother with scrap, I leave it with the client for them to do what they like with it, If I couldn't make a decent living just by doing the work i'd think there was something wrong!
Dave.

Ah but what about saving the planet Dave?
Your clients could be just chucking it in the bin.
 10 January 2013 07:05 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

The planet will survive just as it's done for the past few million years without all the do-gooder input, there's lots of other stuff that needs sorting out more urgently!

Dave.
 10 January 2013 07:11 PM

sparkingchip

But that's not good for the Polar Bears.

Yesterday afternoon I fitted two bathroom electric towel rails, they came with prefitted plug tops ready to plug into a socket. However as they are suitable for installation in zone 2 of a shower room I removed the plugs and set them aside for reuse, then shorten the flexes and hard wired them into flex outlet plates.

This left me with a couple of lengths of flex not really likely to be reused, so eventually they will end up at the scrap yard possibly not until the end of the year, but they will ultimately go for recycling. Now if I left them with the client they wouldn't be worth the effort of recycling on their own and almost certainly would end up in the clients waste bin going to land fill.

So therefore I am doing more for the Polar Bears than you are! However I'm never going to get rich out of it, the IOU is for £45.00 being a dust bin full of cable(compacted by me jumping up and down on it) and it will take along time to fill the bin again two pieces of flex at a time!

Everything else I let the tatters have, if there is a skip on the job I now stack the metal on the ground to the front of it to save having them climbing inside the skip to reduce the risk of injury. I suspect if a tatter hurt themselves climbing in a skip to remove metal and they hurt themselves the person responsible for the skip could be blamed for the injury even though they are actully stealing by removing items from the skip.

Andy

Edited: 10 January 2013 at 07:28 PM by sparkingchip
 11 January 2013 09:23 AM

tomgunn

I reckon that a polar bear would be able to do better wiring than what I have come across recenlty! Grrrrr!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

11 January 2013 10:26 AM

Zs

I have rarely weighed in but have done so on a couple of jobs where there was a great deal of old cable. Unstripped. For ease of disposal and for the polar bears. Usually I wouldn't bother and do what Dave does; leave it with the client. In truth, round here you can do the polar bear thing by leaving it on top of the skip because overnight it will disappear and make it's own way to the weigh in place.

The cash in both cases went straight to a local charity.

So, I reckon they could apply for gift-aid next time? That'll throw a spanner in the works.

Zs
 11 January 2013 01:57 PM

mikejumper

I reckon that a polar bear would be able to do better wiring than what I have come across recenlty! Grrrrr!
Tom

I bet they'd charge a mint.
 12 January 2013 10:25 AM

MrOther

I think you lot are mad leaving your off-cuts with the clients with the price of copper at the mo. It's like people who throw pennies on the floor.
 12 January 2013 10:46 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Tom

I bet they'd charge a mint.

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

12 January 2013 04:35 PM

largelunchbox

Originally posted by: leckie

Now a word for the wise.

If you now start showing scrap income payments on your accounts, and in previous years you haven't, the hmcr may suspect that in previous years your sold scrap and decide that you should be assessed on previous years income. This could incur tax liability, fines and accrued interest.

Not that anyone on this forum sold scrap cable for cash without declaring it I'm sure.

ir just cant assume u sold scrap previously,they would have to prove it. its only the last year or so that copper has been unusually high so its not unreasonably to start selling scrap now were as previously you would not bother.
 13 January 2013 07:15 AM

ebee

In 30 years as self employed I`ve never yet weighed scrap in.
The price of it now might make it worthwhile if I had enough in one go.
I`m certainly not storing it.

Years ago I had a brother-in-law who was "into cardboard".
He cleared his garage out and collected cardboard here there and everywhere in his Tranny Van then sold it when he got a garage full.
He did this for years until I told him to weigh up the time, effort & petrol involved then advised him to rent his garage out to someone to put their car in.

He saw the light.

No, until recent times with the chinese economy, I`ve always considered weighing in as not worth it .

I believe they have to pay everybody by traceable means, except the Tinkers - for now

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 21 January 2013 08:01 PM

sparkingchip

I went to redeem my IOU today and was admiring the new cable identification chart supplied by Western Power that is on the wall of the scrapyard, very handy it even tells you what it weighs

Anyway we were talking and I was told that they are not allowed to accept double insulated singles, that being meter tails in sizes above 25mm2

Happy days.

Andy

Western Power

Edited: 21 January 2013 at 08:57 PM by sparkingchip
IET » Wiring and the regulations » I have a IOU from the scrap yard!

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.