Increase font size
Topic Title: metal cable sheathing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 January 2013 06:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 January 2013 06:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CMD

Hi

How many of you still use metal sheathing behind dot and dab plasterboard or do you just clip the cables down the wall,
just curious really, I always use metal sheathing in wet plastered walls but not in dot and dab dry wall

Regards
 09 January 2013 06:58 PM

daveparry1

I don't because the metal capping offers no protection to the cable apart from the plasters trowel and I fill my own chases anyway. I do sometimes use plastic capping but that's for my own convenience, it's often easier than clipping!

Dave.
 09 January 2013 07:16 PM

alanblaby

I had this conversation with a Building Inspector 2 weeks ago. A small porch and toilet extension, 1 socket outlet, 3 luminaires, and an extractor fan.
He wanted to see the shell before it was plastered, I was there just fixing the last box when he arrived. He had a good look round then asked if I was 'qualified'.
He didnt take too kindly to being asked what he thought my qualifications should be, and he informed me that he used to be an electrician, and if I was working for him I'd be sacked on the spot.
Why? Because I hadn't put any metal capping over the cable runs, in what was going to be a dot and dab wall.
I asked why they should be there - apparently they are there to protect against drilling through a cable, as well as plasterers slicing the cable sheath with trowels.
I pointed out the errors in his thoughts, and was then told my 'Inspection Certificate' (what?) would be scrutinised, as I was clearly not up to current standards.
I'm not worried!
Alan.
 09 January 2013 07:22 PM

daveparry1

Just goes to show how much this particular Building Inspector knows about electrical installations doesn't it Alan! Does he really think that metal capping would stop a drill?
 09 January 2013 08:18 PM

impvan

But very few BCO's know anything other than what they see every day - god help you if you do ow't different because they instantly assume "it doesn't comply, mate".

I had something similar in the early days of Part P.
Him: "It protects against nails"
Me: "but we nail through it to fix it to the wall"
Client: "he's got you there.."
Him: "ah, erm, well, everyone else uses it"
..that last comment is the one that really pee's me off!!

Ignoring his outward anti-english bias, i asked him to put down his various 'additional' requirements in writing - backed up by the householder.
He didn't, so we made an appointment to see his boss at the council offices. EVERYTHING went down in writing, minuted, followed by a written apology from the BCO, another from his boss, and a comment from a BCO in an adjoining county that we'd really stirred the sh!t; now THAT put a smile on my face...

These b*ggers work for us and have power over us, at the very least they should Know Their Stuff.
I now keep a copy of Blackwell's guide to the building regs in the van, along with the various BS's. There's barely a month goes by where i'm not correcting some decades-out-of-date request from a BCO, Fire Officer or EHO.
 09 January 2013 08:19 PM

alanblaby

That what he said. And even with a dot and dab wall the plasterers could still damage the cable, I asked how they would do that, he reckons they'll be using their trowels to put the adhesive on the wall. (and at the same time slicing through cables?)

On the opposite side, one from Charnwood Council, Leics. was ***** hot, he knew everything without having to look it up. He refused the builder permission to put in a hob extractor, with a vent through the roof (insulation problem apparently), and turned round to me and told me I needed a 60L/sec fan putting somewhere else in kitchen, rather then a 30L/sec extractor over the hob. I looked it up, and he was right.
 09 January 2013 08:25 PM

daveparry1

Very interesting Impvan and yet another reason to be registered with a scheme, no need to deal with these plonkers then!

Dave.
 09 January 2013 09:12 PM

impvan

Oh I would go that far Dave! Being registered would just be swapping one set of self-important plonkers for another set, IMO.
 09 January 2013 09:16 PM

daveparry1

But at least we only have to entertain them once a year for assessment Impvan!
 09 January 2013 09:28 PM

leckie

You could always ask if plastic capping is acceptable, and if so what the impact resistance of plastic capping is.

They might ask you to bond the metal capping
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.