Increase font size
Topic Title: Electronic switches and LED's
Topic Summary: compatable ?
Created On: 08 January 2013 07:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 January 2013 07:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ady1

A customer has LED's and bought a plate sw with 4 rotary switches. 2 of them dim and two just push to switch (they all look the same).
The customer complained they have to switch the push switch 3 or 4 times to make it work the LED lights.
It was 2 way and seemed ok off the other switch so i suggested i changed the rotary switch (separates - like grid)...
This appeared to fix the problem, but weeks later its doing the same again ..
Hmm, I notice the rotary switch is electronic as opposed to mechanical. Does anyone think that could be the problem ?

Regards
Ady

-------------------------
Resistance is futile.
 08 January 2013 08:49 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: ady1

A customer has LED's and bought a plate sw with 4 rotary switches. 2 of them dim and two just push to switch (they all look the same).

Hmm, I notice the rotary switch is electronic as opposed to mechanical. Does anyone think that could be the problem ?

Ady

I don't understand these bits of your post.
 08 January 2013 08:55 PM

daveparry1

So the electronic switch is a dimmer I would think? Maybe the led's don't draw enough current to make the dimmer circuit work reliably,

Dave.
 08 January 2013 08:55 PM

typiod

Standard dimmers will not work with LED,s Aurora make one for LED's
 08 January 2013 09:09 PM

colinhaggett

Originally posted by: typiod

Standard dimmers will not work with LED,s Aurora make one for LED's

Depends on the make of the LED lamps/fittings some work fine on normal dimmers. The Aurora dimmer module does seem to work very well with Philips LED lamps and is what they use on the LED display stands in wholesalers. Have worked fine for me switched 2-way so worth trying. What type make are the LED's?

08 January 2013 09:51 PM

leckie

I've just fitted megaman gu10 LEDs on a dimmer. The dimmers come in two types. Trailing edge and leading edge. Now I just have to remember which ones work with LEDs. I think it's the trailing edge. If you try the old dimmers they don't dim properly, they just dim a bit. If you use the correct ones they will dim through the whole range. I put nine 6w on today and they were fine. You cannot load them to the rated wattage of the dimmer though, not even close. Megaman say the aurora dimmer module will dim about 8 x 6w LEDs. It might be a few more but still only a small percentage of the dimmer nominal rating. I think the make I fitted was litestat. Cost 10.00 plus vat

Visit megaman site downloads page for info on dimmers
 08 January 2013 11:55 PM

ady1

Actually - It looks like a bank of 4 dimmers on a double plate, however two are dimmers with resistive loads. The other 2 are switches that you push on and push off - and yes, they are electronic.
The switch controling the LED lamps is the problem.
Regards
Ady

-------------------------
Resistance is futile.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.