Increase font size
Topic Title: Smokes for loft conversion
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 January 2013 03:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 January 2013 03:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Grandfortune

Hi all,

Can someone get me a link to the regs regarding smoke alarms when having and extension and loft conversion, I know it used to be smoke every room or fire doors everywhere and smokes on landing and hAll only , but I'm being told different now and conflicting info , one saying must have fire doors everywhere and some people not .

Cheers grand
 08 January 2013 03:26 PM

AJJewsbury

I'd guess that part B of the building regs would be your first port of call (in England & Wales anyway) - try http://www.planningportal.gov..../bcapproveddocumentsb/ for the approved document.
- Andy.
 08 January 2013 03:31 PM

Grandfortune

Thanks mate
 08 January 2013 03:31 PM

Grandfortune

Thanks mate
 08 January 2013 03:41 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

If you look on your local building control website there should be technical guidance notes relating to this, I think it is number 14, 17 and 18 if not contact them and they will send you a copy as they are open.

Parts A-P give you basic guidance but the technical notes are a bit more up to date.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 08 January 2013 at 05:08 PM by rocknroll
 08 January 2013 05:44 PM

Grandfortune

Local building control are the problem, i work for a couple of builders and a few have jumped ship to private building control (a couple of guys who worked for the council got layed off and went on there own) and not the council one's, council building control are insisting they want fire doors throughout the building but the guys who have gone on there own say there is no need for that(a different job mind you) and are prepared to sign it off on that bases they also state that the council are interpreting the regs wrong regarding this, just wanted to find it from somewhere.

Cheers
Grand
 08 January 2013 06:20 PM

rocknroll

Well this is the general LABC guidance as far as loft extensions go.

Can you make the room safe in the event of a fire?

You will need to:

Provide, either,

An enclosed staircase, containing no rooms, from the new room to the outside of the building, or

An enclosed staircase, containing no rooms, from the new room to the ground floor. Once the ground floor is reached you should then have a choice of two fire separated routes to the outside of the building.

Separate the new room from the rest of the building with fire resisting construction. This will involve the existing ceiling, new staircase enclosure and any new doors.

All doors surrounding the staircase enclosure must be fire resisting doors but self closing devices are not required.

Provide mains operated interconnected smoke alarms at all levels within the building.

If it is a loft extension with an open staircase and ordinary door to the room then the minimum requirement is a mains linked smoke alarm in the circulation space, although some like to see an additional smoke alarm in the room.

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 08 January 2013 07:21 PM

Grandfortune

mmm, thanks m8, seems to be the same as it always was, either fire doors all round and smokes in the usual places, or smoke in every room if no fire doors. thing is a couple of builders are telling me thats changed i think there were insisting the doors were fire resistance even if there are smokes in each room

Cheers
Grand
 09 January 2013 08:41 AM

Grandfortune

met with local council controller, there stance is now that al the doors have to be fire proof what ever, mind you i didn't price for the smoke in each room so im a bit relived, basically the client i wondering weather to ditch the council and get private building control guys in to pass it as they quit rightly don't want to loose there very old doors, and even thought they have paid £700+ they will still be better off as the doors are in the region of £250 each

thanks for the replies guys
Grand
 09 January 2013 10:07 AM

rocknroll

basically the client i wondering weather to ditch the council and get private building control guys in to pass it

Not having sight of the plans and the reasoning in suggesting fire-doors, this is up to your client, there is no guarantee by employing an independent BC that they will interpret the guidance any differently when it comes to fire safety.

regards

09 January 2013 10:22 AM

OMS

there is no guarantee by employing an independent BC that they will interpret the guidance any differently when it comes to fire safety.

Maybe - but they are usually more open to intelligent dialogue and a risk based approach.

I'm not saying BC aren't, just that like every large organization they like "standard" solutions and often thier guidance reflects that.

Rule based rather than risk based tends to be the difference in my experience

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.