Topic Title: what van
Topic Summary: Need A van
Created On: 02 January 2013 05:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 January 2013 05:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ampman

What van would you guys recommend ?

Price , fuel consumtion etc ....

Best place to buy ?

Thinking of getting a vauxhall vivaro any body got one ?
 02 January 2013 06:45 PM

slittle

Several mates of mine drive the vivaro and reckon they are ok.

I wouldn't touch the peugeot range as we've wrecked a couple of them after three years.

Stu
 02 January 2013 07:08 PM

peteTLM

I had a couple of problems with an early (52 plate) vivaro years back, but would recommend it still over a lot of vans.

I would not for instance get another T5 VW as they dont stop when you want them to, dont go when you want them to, and have wiring faults that a child could avoid with a bit of thought due to the build quality of the wiring.

Not had a transit for what seems like forever, but they have a great range of friendly equipment on the dashboard, multiple charging sockets, document holders, phone holders etc etc. T5 VW has a glovebox the size of a packet of crisps.

Smaller vans, cant go wrong with a vauxhall combo, buillit proof.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 02 January 2013 08:14 PM

DR2366

Toyota Hiace for me 32mpg and build to last, nice to drive and I prefer it to my car. My garage has been saying for years buy japaneese!
 02 January 2013 08:20 PM

Grumpy

The single most important consideration is reliability. The second is reliability. You lose a day's work because your van packs up fuel consumption or the size of the glove box doesn't really come into it. The curse of the modern age is vehicle electronics. I had a second hand VW T4 for eight years, soooo slow, but bomb proof. The gear linkage was held together by cable ties for six months until I was bored one Saturday. Now I have a moody Transit, it even puts the brakes on for me when I'm doing a hill start. How un-necessary is that? I was doing hill starts in a Marina van with no handbrake when I was a lad! I blame the EU!
 02 January 2013 08:30 PM

DOUGIE1000

We have a vivaro, well renualt traffic but same van, its 6speed very nice to drive and a all round not bad van, we also have two renualt master ex British gas vans Inc full racking roof racks etc both these vans pretty good no both came with tiny miliage, ie 24k and 35k miles when we got them 2yr ago and also we have a LDV maxus, LDV is a tank to drive however apart from a battery and heater blower variable speed switch (both diy repairs) never missed a single working days life and always ready for work

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 02 January 2013 08:31 PM

DOUGIE1000

Oh also transits rust really bad almost as bad as Merc

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 02 January 2013 08:37 PM

dickllewellyn

I'm wondering if the transit rust issue will improve now they're not being built y the sea in Southampton?

Anther van I've been looking at, and my mechanic rates, is the Hyundai iload. Seen a few cabbies starting to favour them over transporters and vitos too.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 02 January 2013 08:40 PM

Grumpy

Yep, I second Dougie re rust. The VW T4 rusted less in eight years than the Transit in one. Even when I dinged the T4 it didn't bleed but the Transit is bubbling in places I haven't yet injured!
 02 January 2013 08:50 PM

Grumpy

I looked at the Hyundai when the scrappage scheme was on but it falls between two stools, it's bigger than a small van but not big enough to get sheets of plasterboard in. Like the Transporter. Why do they do that? Why would you build a van that can almost take a sheet of the common building materials but not quite. Not quite as in burst your rear window when you forget to check and you slam the lid. Er, twice. Even with my SWB semi high Transit I have to put the sheets diagonally which is a real pain when the van's full of tool boxes and reels of cable etc. Is it just me? (Rhetorical!)
 02 January 2013 08:55 PM

sparkingchip

Some of the Nissan Dealers have these vans preregistered with 100 miles or so on the clock at £10k +VAT or less. Could be worth a look.

Andy
 02 January 2013 09:02 PM

DR2366

I had a look at one of thoses but it was to small for me.
 02 January 2013 09:17 PM

Rulland

Just got the NV200, big enough for me tbh, like the twin side doors, bluetooth, camera, and quite economical as well.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 02 January 2013 09:18 PM

sparkxelectrical

I've got a 2.5 year old transit with 50000 miles on the clock - we've owned it since new and I'm pretty disapointed in it. It's great when it works, but I've lost approx 10 days work due to the turbo hose falling off and various bits and pieces. The sideloading door keeps coming off its rails too. It's not started to rust yet, but I don't think I'll be hanging onto it for much longer than 18 months or so depending on business.
Think the next van will be a mercedes sprinter, I met someone who has a haulage firm and his 57 sprinter has 420000 miles on the clock, all its needed was a new engine at 400,000. They also don't appear to be made from tinfoil, unlike the transits...
 02 January 2013 09:52 PM

peteTLM

As sparx says, mercs are terrific for taking on starship mileage.

Im disappointed to hear about the transits. I used to work for a firm that had millions of them (it seemed) and every one i had- had no rust, but that was ages ago. The newest one i had before leaving was maybe the first of the then new shape- X reg 1999 maybe?

A mate has the NV220 nissan. hes had it 2 years and not even a bulb has gone. It seems like a smaller vivaro in every way (without the dodgy french involvement) Id buy one tomorrow for an in between small van.
New york has just ordered thousands of the taxi version of the nv220 as a replacement for the ford yellow cabs.....

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 02 January 2013 10:10 PM

leckie

I'm amazed to read bad reports on VW's. I've had four transporters in my business. All bullet proof with no rust. I've only had the ones with bigger engines, not the 850hp, and they are excellent IMO. They are no a massive van but I'm an electrician not a plasterboarder, to me they are just right. I think the vito's look nice but loads of them only about four years old are covered in rust which puts me off. It depends what size you want, etc
 02 January 2013 11:03 PM

sparkingchip

I carry plasterboard at times, however I use 1800 x 900 sheets as I'm to old for 2400 x 1200 sheets unless I use the plaster board hoist acquired off Ebay to fix a pallet load of them several years ago.

The smaller sheets fit in a Trafic even with it racked down the sides, however Trafic gear boxes and the connected parts all fall apart at around 60-70k miles costing time and money for repairs.

Now I did 110k miles in the old Nissan Vanette with minimal problems until the end.

Andy
 03 January 2013 07:36 PM

ady1

SWB semi-high transit - conduit over bulkhead. Latest model. totally reliable. fast.good economy. Why look at the rest !

Regards
Ady

Resistance is futile.
 04 January 2013 12:20 PM

tomgunn

I got a Renault trafic LWB for my son some 12 months ago as it didnt sell on Ebay and so got a bargain! Mind you it seems it had never been cleaned inside - ever! Anyways - great van but I do know that these shaped vans suffer from wiring that somehow becomes faulty in the looms... either way nice to drive and looks good too oh and the MPG is great as he had a VW van before and the difference is very good!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 04 January 2013 05:44 PM

Davesparx

There are some cracking deals on the Evans Falshaw website if you fancy a Vauxhall. 4 years free servicing, 4 years interest free, 4 years RAC and 4 years warranty. I think we were quoted about 12k for a swb vivaro. Not bad at all. I still wont be swapping my transporter for it though!!
IET » Wiring and the regulations » what van

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.