Increase font size
Topic Title: Exit signs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01 January 2013 10:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 January 2013 10:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lyledunn

Just a note to let you know about the introduction of BS EN 7010 2013 which I understand is to be introduced at the end of this month. The standard relates to graphical symbols in the work place which include those used for fire exit signs. The so called euro legend with the running man (white on a green background) and found in many emergency light fittings will be non-compliant.

-------------------------
Regards,

Lyle Dunn
 01 January 2013 08:29 PM

Dave69

What is a fire exit sign?

As far as emergency exit signage is concerned it shouldn't really be a problem, the new signs have been in use for years as has the non mix and match requirement of different types of symbols so it should mean either all signs comply or all signs don't, if they don't its a simple fix that costs very little that can be undertaken by the person responsible for the routine testing of the emergency lights in that building. Its not an open cheque book for sparks. ok some really old light boxes with engraved symbols may need replacing, but if they are that old they are past their useful life and should be changed anyway
 02 January 2013 11:48 AM

lyledunn

Dave,
"What is a fire exit sign?"
This is a notice which ordinary folk tend to follow in the event of a fire. They tend to survive. Others, more concerned with semantics, get confused and sometimes end up huddled and dazed in a loo because they couldn't find an "emergency exit sign".

-------------------------
Regards,

Lyle Dunn
 02 January 2013 02:36 PM

Dave69

Exit signs guide the person to the nearest protected route and final exit and they need to be understood regardless of language and therefore it is not a requiement to have any text on them, i.e fire exit or emergency exit. The Pictures are what people look at, England is being over run by non english speaking people.
Many local councils and fire officers we have worked with say text can confuse people and slow them down as they pause for a second to try to read it.

I appoligise Lyle if my comment "what is a fire exit sign" upset you, I was mearly trying to say that emegency exit is an easier term for people to understand
 02 January 2013 02:49 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

therefore it is not a requiement to have any text on them

Do you mean it is a requirement not to have any text on them?
- Andy.
 02 January 2013 04:37 PM

Dave69

the way I understand it is, text is optional, but with so many non english speaking people in our country it is the pictures that are important and it why these are now stanndard acroos the EU, I dont speak Romanian so if i was in Romania any text would not help me and the same goes for Romanians in england,,,,,
 02 January 2013 04:52 PM

impvan

Meanwhile, here in Wales, I have to have the callpoints screenprinted with Tân instead of Fire in housing association projects.
 02 January 2013 08:48 PM

Dave69

thats no problem the emergency light above or near the manual call point will direct people to the nearest exit and the manual call point is the same in all countries
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.