Increase font size
Topic Title: Fixing under floors/20A Rad Load
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 December 2012 09:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 December 2012 09:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrOther

Hi all,

1)Installing some new sockets and found that the 32A Ring in my upstairs is in fact a 20A rad of some kind with one dud cable in the board.

Circuit has been fine for 10 years.

Sister's room is being done up some point in th new year and I believe/convinced this is where the problem/lost leg is.

So my plan is to to convert the whole upstairs into a 20A rad and do what remedials I can further along the road. If none are undertaken then we are left with a 20A rad, funcational.

Obviously, I'm down rating my MCB - so where a little short term overload on the 2.5mm2 may of gone unknown - this time the MCB should trip.

Instinct tells me once again I'm being over cautious, story would be different if it was the downstairs sockets (as it has the kitchen on it) but the upstairs should pull vertially nothing.

Just would like some thoughts/considerations that I may of overlooked.

2) Fixing cables under the floors. Does anyone really bother? Up in the loft I've been a little Hitler with fixings, logic being that people are more like to be up there and trailing cables can snag etc - H&S concern what not. But do anyone bother with under the floor? In reality do all jobing house bashers turn into mighty fine lasso-ists?

Many thanks.
 30 December 2012 09:54 PM

slittle

We clip to joists if we do anything domestic whenever possible to keep it tidy.

As to the 20A MCB, you would be surprised what you can get away with in a kitchen/utility room.... My utility with fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer are on a 16A radial at the moment and have been for 6 months without the mcb tripping.

Stu
 30 December 2012 11:14 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

I clip to joists on underfloor runs if at all practicable but I certainly wouldn't pull boards up just to make it possible! The 16 or 20 amp radial will be fine, especially as it's an upstairs circuit, as Stu said even a kitchen or utility room will often be ok with this,

Dave.
 30 December 2012 11:54 PM

MrOther

Thanks chaps, I thought as much, but its best to as just in case. No good after it's all buttoned up.

And sorry for the anal question about clipping -- I mean a bit of a boots and braces person and boots and braces and Regulations are not always practacable. I find when working on houses there are some "accepted" breaks from the Regs and some that are defo "nos-nos" more oft then not it's obvious, but as I don't do house bashing all the time it's best ask the experts, there ones in coming after you.
 31 December 2012 10:14 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Yes you're right MrOther, there are lots of things that we would do on a new build or a house that is completely stripped out but which would be totally impractical on repair or addition jobs,

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.